Just bought a Soundcraftsman ae 2000..

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Would these be the photos of the backside of your AE2000?

2511024-cfa5b87a-soundcraftsmen-ae2000-real-time-scan-alyzer-equalizer-rare.jpg
2511023-30942d31-soundcraftsmen-ae2000-real-time-scan-alyzer-equalizer-rare.jpg

Nando.

Fishoz

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Always learning!
Nice Nando...
That sparked me to take some of the day off (working from home) and clean up the Soundcraftsman someone left me and hook it up...I know it lights up but have no idea how it sounds. Also no idea how to hook up until now.

Never really liked colored sound...play everything flat but it’s a good time to try out.

Elite-ist

Staff member
I don't presently use an equalizer in my system, but there is a case for using one when you want to achieve a flat frequency response in a room where furnishings, room size, speaker orientation have an effect on the sound. But, that means using an eq that has a microphone to receive a pink noise signal generated from the system and a built-in spectrum analyzer.

A dbx 20-20 is one such eq that comes to mind. I have a Sansui SE-9 that is simpler, but can do the same.

31c49908-4a75-4e90-9161-523a1739ea4c_zpstmrc1n9v.jpg

Nando.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
I had one that did room analysis too years ago... Don't remember the brand, or what I did with it... But it had blue fluorescent display for each frequency and a rocker switch at the bottom of each to adjust them.

The display was both the "slider position" indicator and readout, depending on mode. It wasn't bad... Now I'm wondering where that went. Probably sold but I don't remember selling it.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
If anyone is in AZ I might be able to bring the 3 main components to you...Tucson, Phoenix is doable. And of course I'd pay for your expertise!

Bring the main components to do what with?? I'm down a couple miles south of Sierra Vista.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
I have an Audio Control analyzer that Ed gave me years ago. .with the mic..

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I just rebuilt that ADC EQ and after seeing the pain in the ass it is to hook in an EQ into the system (as cool as it was), I sold it this morning for $500

An amp (big), a tuner (Green) and a preamp is all you need. A Turn Table is a need also but the rest is just a pain.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
I just rebuilt that ADC EQ and after seeing the pain in the ass it is to hook in an EQ into the system (as cool as it was), I sold it this morning for $500

An amp (big), a tuner (Green) and a preamp is all you need. A Turn Table is a need also but the rest is just a pain.
Tape deck!

Elite-ist

Staff member
And open-reel deck. Each to his own. I've advanced way beyond a simple set-up. And it's been a long time since I turned on the analog FM tuner.

Nando.

mr_rye89

Tagline
Lost in the Ozone Again
The Adcom is a 500w/channel power amp. The only switch is the on/off toggle...
GFA-555? I have one.....broke it back in '13, needs that new NPN/PNP driver pair installed on one of the power amp boards.

Also welcome to Pheonix Audio Forums! I'm not a Zonie otherwise I'd come over.

wattsabundant

Chief Journeyman
So the AE2000 is an EQ with a real time analyzer built in. You can flatten the room out and rather than actually listening to the music you end up constantly fuss with all of the controls because you can. I had a similar device years ago and found myslef trying to compensate for the recoding engineers mix for each record. For pro use it's a necessity for cavernous buildings etc.

62vauxhall

Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
So the AE2000 is an EQ with a real time analyzer built in. You can flatten the room out and rather than actually listening to the music you end up constantly fuss with all of the controls because you can. I had a similar device years ago and found myslef trying to compensate for the recoding engineers mix for each record. For pro use it's a necessity for cavernous buildings etc.
Or each track in some cases.