James Burke's (Jimmy) Phase Linear Ser I WOPL conversion UNIT # 2

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Jazz is looking for Patricia in the mancave!! She refuses to believe no one is there.....she's been nosing around the horns for 20 minutes trying to flush Patricia. This is some funny shit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The aftermath.....................

Attachments

Last edited:

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Listening to it right now.... Joe, we may have broken that 200 microvolt barrier with this one. Can not hear a thing from infinity on the Spec 1 to 0 db, absolutely nothing. Listening to Patricia, the absence of background noise makes it seem like you are there. Lean back and close your eyes.....and you are....
I believe this may e the quietest ine yet. In 3 days we'll know. But my ears haved confirmed it already. Damn, this is sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nice Lee. I bet we can go lower if we continue to work at it. The returns keep getting smaller and smaller and more elusive as well.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Joe have you ever had to do this?? Early series I with Honeywell meters and that weird PL4 light board. The led's sit back to far to line up with the mounting screws, and had to relieve some of the board. The opening for the bulbs is also not spaced the same as the led's, had to burr the openings at an angle to get every thing to go. wasn't a dealbreaker though.

Attachments

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Joe have you ever had to do this?? Early series I with Honeywell meters and that weird PL4 light board. The led's sit back to far to line up with the mounting screws, and had to relieve some of the board. The opening for the bulbs is also not spaced the same as the led's, had to burr the openings at an angle to get every thing to go. wasn't a dealbreaker though.
No that is a first Lee. Were these equipped with the fuse lamps when you started?

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Does it fit that meter properly after you cut out the moon shape Lee? Are there any other dimensional changes to fit this meter? I will make the changes on the RevB of this light board.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Finally got C20L/C20R today. Well get em stuffed then put the little critter on the AP and see just how quiet this thing is.....

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Spectrum Analysis.......This is the noise floor measurement, twice what the Pig was, but still only 4 tenths of a millivolt. The difference between this and the Pig, this has 15024's and a DCP. The Pig had 21194's and no DCP.
This one is wired quieter, a lot more care in routing, WE MUST KNOW WHAT IS CAUSING THIS!!!

Attachments

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Tried a max output test and the output section started screaming like a gutshot panther, NOT a good thing. Blew a minus rail fuse at 280 watts, still had not clipped. It appears we have a high freq oscillation. I will dismount the 15024's and run some 21194's and we'll see what's shakin.....

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Sho-nuff, the 21194's are coming in at 250uv, as opposed to the 15024's at 398uv, Table coming up... Whodda thunk it, ............well, me I guess....

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Tried a max output test and the output section started screaming like a gutshot panther, NOT a good thing. Blew a minus rail fuse at 280 watts, still had not clipped. It appears we have a high freq oscillation. I will dismount the 15024's and run some 21194's and we'll see what's shakin.....
Lee, you may need to dial back the 0.510 bias to see if that has a beneficial effect

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Wonder if my DCP is freaking, the 2-10's in parallel read a flat 5. The Pig sounded best with an original PL zoebel at 6.2 ohms.....

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Sho-nuff, the 21194's are coming in at 250uv, as opposed to the 15024's at 398uv, Table coming up... Whodda thunk it, ............well, me I guess....
Lee the 21194/96 devices are audio rated devices whereas the 15024 is a general purpose device. Not surprised by the difference you note