James Burke's (Jimmy) Phase Linear Ser I WOPL conversion UNIT # 2

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Well he must have liked the first one cause he sent another one.
Early Ser I. PL400 C driver board, bias-=all over the place, offset-adjustable. Cosmetics-average.
I haven't had the opportunity to run a 400 by the AP with the 400C board. Test results coming up.

Attachments

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Well, someone has had their way with this unit.

Late model drivers and outputs, 99 datye coded 15024's, 83 and 84 date coded RCA 410's.
Wow, the fabled 75V bulk caps. You don't see those often. I had one with the original GE 75V versions in it too.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
And this version had 1-1-5/8 diameter cap, and 1-2" in diameter cap. Both 5900, at 75 volt. Had to be factory, no extra holes in the end plate. Maybe they were having meter clearance issues......

658 7224 must be Sangamo's number..

Attachments

Jimmy

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Early Ser I. PL400 C driver board, bias-=all over the place, offset-adjustable. Cosmetics-average.
I haven't had the opportunity to run a 400 by the AP with the 400C board. Test results coming up.
I love the first one (listening to it now), and I am stoked to see the pictures of this one.

Jimmy

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Speaking of so-so cosmetics, you wouldn't happen to have an extra cord laying around would you? You may have noticed the cord melted and was repaired at some point.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
And this version had 1-1-5/8 diameter cap, and 1-2" in diameter cap. Both 5900, at 75 volt. Had to be factory, no extra holes in the end plate. Maybe they were having meter clearance issues......

658 7224 must be Sangamo's number..
Those Sangamo's are stock Phase Linear original issue. Nobody used 5900uF except them.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Speaking of so-so cosmetics, you wouldn't happen to have an extra cord laying around would you? You may have noticed the cord melted and was repaired at some point.
James.....I have a lot of stuff. A new cord is doable. AND with this having a relatively new output section that we don't have to upgrade you're getting a new 35 Amp BR properly bypassed, new speaker posts, new Swithcraft RCA jacks, a BABB, (bad ass buss bar) new silver board to chassis wiring, and relocation of chassis wiring to reduce noise.....your lucky day. I want to work on my wiring discipline because the next 700 I do, it's owner is sending it to Bob Carver to peruse. It was originally Bob's to begin with. It made the trade show circuit for awhile with Bob. His personal 700 B. So I'm practicing on nailing some stuff a guy would like to see presented better if THE PL AMP god was gonna look at it.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Spose?? I think it was meter issues, i'm stickin with that story.I'm sure Ed could enlighten us......
That 2" one definitely will not go in the upper spot behind the meter case so I agree with you on that one. They were all over the map with what they built these amps with. You do this long enough and you think you have seen every variant until you open up the next one.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Joe this has a hottie transformer too, at 83.7 vilts those caps were pretty damn good for 75 volters......