J.A. Michell Prisma restoration

AngrySailor

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---not quite right
Thanks AS I appreciate your reply. This will be a slow process I'm sure trying to source parts, if available etc. If I can be of any assistance to you with your table, let me know.
Is yours up and running now?

Thanks,
Dennis
Oh, just in case you didn’t see it back in the thread, are you aware of where the coarse speed adjustment pot is? You must remove the switch cover and expose the motor top, there is a small hole through the top of the motor case (maybe 3/16” hole”. Insert a 1/8” slot blade screw driver very carefully until you engage the potentiometer. I made this adjustment with my fine pots set in the middle and have had no issues since. (Mine was running slow).

mabrow

New Around These Parts
Source a horse..LOL. Figure this will be a drawn out refurb. Not really in a hurry though I would sure like to hear it.

Sweep brush is there but missing the underside locking mechanism. Tonearm main shaft, guess that's what it's called is loosely goosey like parts are missing inside there, power cord has been cut and patched. Tried plugging it in but unit is not turning on...what did I get myself into!!

If you want, I can send you the leg set so you can get duplicates made. Just pay for shipping back and forth. Up to you.

Out of here. Reforming a speaker.

Dennis

mabrow

New Around These Parts
Oh, just in case you didn’t see it back in the thread, are you aware of where the coarse speed adjustment pot is? You must remove the switch cover and expose the motor top, there is a small hole through the top of the motor case (maybe 3/16” hole”. Insert a 1/8” slot blade screw driver very carefully until you engage the potentiometer. I made this adjustment with my fine pots set in the middle and have had no issues since. (Mine was running slow).
Have to get the power cord replaced 1st to see if the motor even works.
Thanks!

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Source a horse..LOL. Figure this will be a drawn out refurb. Not really in a hurry though I would sure like to hear it.

Sweep brush is there but missing the underside locking mechanism. Tonearm main shaft, guess that's what it's called is loosely goosey like parts are missing inside there, power cord has been cut and patched. Tried plugging it in but unit is not turning on...what did I get myself into!!

If you want, I can send you the leg set so you can get duplicates made. Just pay for shipping back and forth. Up to you.

Out of here. Reforming a speaker.

Dennis
Thank you for the offer of the legs for a pattern but I think with the Michel drawings I have and maybe some good pictures of yours we can probably get by without shipping parts around...

the power switch is a magnetic actuated reed switch. Once you get your power cord replaced check the switch is working. Good luck!

mabrow

New Around These Parts
Hi AS,
Been awhile since we've conversed. I have slowly been going through this TT to try and see what all is there, what may be missing etc. I had a local plastics shop make a new dust cover since the original was cracked and they did a very nice job.

I've tried emailing Michell in England on several occasions. They finally replied to my 1st email saying "hey, we are real busy here" but offered no help. The other emails to them have been ignored, so basically they are saying F off.

Have you been in contact with other Prisma owners while going through your refurb? If so, kindly let me know their contact info. The tonearm on mine is puzzling and I've not found a thing on it to see how it is assembled. Apparently something is missing as the lower and upper main body of it aren't solidly joined together.

I've attached pictures of the arm and the last picture shows the separation from the upper/lower assembly. It really just flops around. Perhaps someone else has experience with this arm and can provide some guidance.

Thanks much,
Dennis

Attachments

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Hi AS,
Been awhile since we've conversed. I have slowly been going through this TT to try and see what all is there, what may be missing etc. I had a local plastics shop make a new dust cover since the original was cracked and they did a very nice job.

I've tried emailing Michell in England on several occasions. They finally replied to my 1st email saying "hey, we are real busy here" but offered no help. The other emails to them have been ignored, so basically they are saying F off.

Have you been in contact with other Prisma owners while going through your refurb? If so, kindly let me know their contact info. The tonearm on mine is puzzling and I've not found a thing on it to see how it is assembled. Apparently something is missing as the lower and upper main body of it aren't solidly joined together.

I've attached pictures of the arm and the last picture shows the separation from the upper/lower assembly. It really just flops around. Perhaps someone else has experience with this arm and can provide some guidance.

Thanks much,
Dennis
Hello Dennis, glad to hear you’re still working at it. I did get some helpful responses from michell but that was pre CoronAIDS. I think they basically shut down due to the ‘rona. I do not know any other Prisma owners and my tone arm is different than yours, however I do have the original prisma manual which might cover your tone arm. I can check later this evening when I get home.

mabrow

New Around These Parts
Thanks A.S.

I have a few manuals/diagrams that I've found here and there, however none of them cover the tonearm in detail. Hope what you have might be the proverbial missing link.
Dennis

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Thanks A.S.

I have a few manuals/diagrams that I've found here and there, however none of them cover the tonearm in detail. Hope what you have might be the proverbial missing link.
Dennis
I got roped into working late but I’ll see what’s in there and probably just post the whole thing. It will be late or tomorrow though.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
I not know that tonearm specifically but it might be a single point, which are a bear to set up...

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right

mabrow

New Around These Parts
Thanks AS. I do have those pages. I did find additional instructions on the artech-electronics.com website and some info from a Florida gentleman selling Michell parts on eBay. Years ago this eBay seller bought many "new-old stock" parts directly from John Michell, however thru the years he has sold off just about everything he had.

I'll keep looking for tonearm info and also any info concerning the motor. Broken wires in/around the motor. Also just found that the motor circuit board is cracked, some cracked resistors. The more I dig into this, the more issues I find., and I'll need to source a capstan as the one for this table is AWOL.

Thanks again and take care,
Dennis

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Thanks AS. I do have those pages. I did find additional instructions on the artech-electronics.com website and some info from a Florida gentleman selling Michell parts on eBay. Years ago this eBay seller bought many "new-old stock" parts directly from John Michell, however thru the years he has sold off just about everything he had.

I'll keep looking for tonearm info and also any info concerning the motor. Broken wires in/around the motor. Also just found that the motor circuit board is cracked, some cracked resistors. The more I dig into this, the more issues I find., and I'll need to source a capstan as the one for this table is AWOL.

Thanks again and take care,
Dennis
Sorry that wasn’t of any help. I believe I have seen some of his ads for NOS parts also. There was a fella on Canuck audio mart a while back who listed/sold a Prisma which had a replacement (non original motor) but came with the original, not working motor. I reached out to him asking if the table sold and the new owner wasn’t interested in the motor, that I would be interested for parts. I never heard back but I may still have his email and might put me in touch with the new owner? Can you post some pictures of the motor damage? It may be repairable with some jumper wires depending where the crack is. I would guess it’s not cracked under the clamshells where the motor windings are? I would think if the windings are fine there not much else there... what do you mean by capstan? The spindle bearing? There’s another member here machining and fabricating parts for a custom table/tone arm, think it might be Jim?

J!m

Tagline
BOT
I can make stuff from prints and/or reverse-engineer from old parts.

I did some of the bushings that go on the base of the PL face handles for someone here a while ago…

I interpret capstan as the drive pulley for the belt. It’s probably crowned to keep the belt in place, similar to how Micro does it.

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
I can make stuff from prints and/or reverse-engineer from old parts.

I did some of the bushings that go on the base of the PL face handles for someone here a while ago…

I interpret capstan as the drive pulley for the belt. It’s probably crowned to keep the belt in place, similar to how Micro does it.
Round belt in groves pulley. Possibly means the strobe idler? You can eliminate the strobe with a shorter belt. Also it seams many parts are interchangeable between michell models. Parts might be available new still. The belts are all the same length also.