iPhone and PL700B

derek92994

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Those who enter the man cave will get WOPLed
Amazing setup, I like the power centers, assuming they are power conditioners/distributors. I'm sure you have some dedicated circuits going into the house too.

Warthogge

New Around These Parts
Tagline
Luck is a good plan carefully executed.
If it was serviced right that's a nice unit. Ask em who did the work...
Seller responded quickly with “The service was done at Audio Experts here in Vegas. It's not mine. It was my best friend's that passed December 23rd. I'm selling it for his widow.” I may call him and see if he has a completed report. If not, Audio Experts probably still does.

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
Like Glen or Perry job..
Not one I did

it’s got a Chinese face plate bought off eBay which is easily distinguished by the coarse brush marks on the face plate

to say it’s recapped is one thing to do it right is an other . Perry and I both use bypolar caps in the sound path , this is a nice improvement over stock
If it doesn’t have any Metallic green “ Bobby Dazzler” caps then they didn’t get it right.

also the power supply must be upgraded to fully enhance the nose floor

There is also other upgrades to phono and holographic sound that can be done

I will be offering a couple of these soon
With or without remote on/off and remote volume
The on off can handle 10 amps load so I paired one with a 400 46C04966-8307-4685-8DEA-B05BC6036716.jpeg 7782DD4B-0934-41EC-A48B-2DAC441B362B.jpeg F28E194C-D969-49F9-8601-58577D039E07.jpeg 188207D6-333A-4FB3-91B8-D3BED437A719.jpeg D801D37A-3799-4EC1-BCF1-062AB4D7C0C7.jpeg 20B85C1B-C719-48AB-B811-EA4C84F642D1.jpeg

George S.

Yup, but get the "T" version. Perry "WOPLsniffer" posted last year it's the one to get, I think he said it has the better power supply. He and Glen are the experts on them.

krellmk

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Are you satisfied with the life you're living
Thanks for suggestions and side bar fun. However, I want tone controls and the Acurus RL11 is missing them. So, still hunting.

Phono inputs are not needed. I don't think I'll ever go back to vinyl and if I do, I'll work a phono preamp into the system.
Maybe a Macintosh C28 i use mine for playing jazz .. use this much more than the C22

Last edited:

NeverSatisfied

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Play the Game, don’t be the Game
Not one I did

it’s got a Chinese face plate bought off eBay which is easily distinguished by the coarse brush marks on the face plate

to say it’s recapped is one thing to do it right is an other . Perry and I both use bypolar caps in the sound path , this is a nice improvement over stock
If it doesn’t have any Metallic green “ Bobby Dazzler” caps then they didn’t get it right.

The on off can handle 10 amps load so I paired one with a 400 View attachment 61030 View attachment 61031 View attachment 61032 View attachment 61033 View attachment 61034 View attachment 61035
Dang.....when someone post pictures like that, I feel like I've just been flashed by a hot chick at Mardi Gras, I want more but I know it's really gonna cost me.
I've been grapplesaw flashed....lol

Tagline
Born and Raised In The 700 Watt Club.
What are you driving with your amps ? Love the setup by the way, nothing like having 5600 watts on tap.
Better question is what WILL I be? I have not built the system that these guys will drive yet. That project starts this year. My aim is to mimic what I built 20 years ago. But on a larger scale. Initially, the hardest part was getting the amps and I knew that. The speaker components and cabinetry was a non-issue. So one year after another, I acquired an amp if I came across one. It kinda ballooned over 10 years, and I never built the system. Time and a day job just got the better of me. I was trying to point out the pre-amp as discussed in this thread. Not meaning to side-bar. But to answer you honestly; I'd better serve you directing you here: I explain my project intent pretty well I think...

https://forums.phxaudiotape.com/threads/davids-phase-linear-700b-thread.3786/page-37#post-267313

On topic to this thread, I agree Geegz; you can't go wrong with any of the Carver pre's. My Father has a C1 that got a full Bill D. mod and resto. He's using that with the two WOPL400's I built for him in a Bi-Amp config, and it SLAMS. Well worth checking out and it has the tone controls you're after.

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
Dang.....when someone post pictures like that, I feel like I've just been flashed by a hot chick at Mardi Gras, I want more but I know it's really gonna cost me.
I've been grapplesaw flashed....lol
Your going to get a lot more this coming week Spencer
materials have arrived and your d500 will be underway.
oops. Sorry to steal the thread

I think the Carver c4000 and 4000t match the best with series two phase linear.

NeverSatisfied

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Play the Game, don’t be the Game
Better question is what WILL I be? I have not built the system that these guys will drive yet. That project starts this year. My aim is to mimic what I built 20 years ago. But on a larger scale. Initially, the hardest part was getting the amps and I knew that. The speaker components and cabinetry was a non-issue. So one year after another, I acquired an amp if I came across one. It kinda ballooned over 10 years, and I never built the system. Time and a day job just got the better of me. I was trying to point out the pre-amp as discussed in this thread. Not meaning to side-bar. But to answer you honestly; I'd better serve you directing you here: I explain my project intent pretty well I think...

https://forums.phxaudiotape.com/threads/davids-phase-linear-700b-thread.3786/page-37#post-267313

On topic to this thread, I agree Geegz; you can't go wrong with any of the Carver pre's. My Father has a C1 that got a full Bill D. mod and resto. He's using that with the two WOPL400's I built for him in a Bi-Amp config, and it SLAMS. Well worth checking out and it has the tone controls you're after.
Now that is some serious cone area…nice

VSAT88

Tagline
Like my BlueTooth ?
Not one I did

The on off can handle 10 amps load so I paired one with a 400 View attachment 61030 View attachment 61031 View attachment 61032 View attachment 61033 View attachment 61034 View attachment 61035
Good Lawd those are awesome !

Floyd Loonie

New Around These Parts
Tagline
If it's to loud-You're too old!!
I second that on the Acurus RL-11. I bought one for my system as well upon Lee's recommendation and I had Mondialfan (Kevin) hot-rod mine as well. The best pre-amp I have ever used. (Shown in the center top stack). I don't have a need for a phono stage so it's perfect for my set-up. Some don't like the lack of tone controls, but if you want the purist approach, that's not needed. (I'm not a purist). Some recordings were just plain bad.

I took pictures of the inside guts after the overhaul, but can't seem to locate them anywhere. (Annoyingly enough) And I'm not taking it out of that stack, otherwise I'd share the pics with everyone. I'm sure Lee's is more accessible....

View attachment 60983
SMACK!!!! (The sound of my jaw hitting the floor) Nothing like a few thousand watts of headroom to set a guy at ease when clipping is not an option!! I want to see the speakers you're driving. WOW!!

Floyd Loonie

New Around These Parts
Tagline
If it's to loud-You're too old!!
Click on the link he provided. There was a thread on them....
Thank you laatsch55... I 've started going backward through this thread, and found another post with the same subject , the reply said the speakers were shown earlier in the thread-towards the middle, so i'll run into the pics before too long. I haven't seen the link you mentioned, but I very much appreciate your reply and effort to help me. This has got to be one f the most friendly sites on the Web! Everyone is friendly, helpful, and shares their knowledge with virtural strangers. and I haven't been told about my insatiable Grandmas sexual perversions in Hell a single time on this forum like some of the Interweb forums I've been unfortunate enough to stumble across... That sick behavior gets old real quick!!!! This Phoenix Audio site is a wonderful place !!

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Another popular option as they are close to the same vintage and respond well to upgrades are the Carver preamps, C4000 and the 4000t. You can find multiple threads on these here and we have a few members who are upgrading these making them better than the original. I have a 4000t preamp modified by one of our members that is a very nice sounding preamp. I rotate it in and out with my Acurus and very much enjoy it. I’ll let any of those members chime in if they would like.

The 4000t is frigginn awesome when "Done Up" right. all the bells and whistles you'll ever need. Put a remote kit in them like me and Glen did and you'll never look back. (Especially with a neck brace)