iPhone and PL700B

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
The listing refers to a separate phono stage with the offer but does not get into what it consists of.

Geegz

Journeyman
Tagline
---there is no replacement for displacement
The listing refers to a separate phono stage with the offer but does not get into what it consists of.
Joe,
If your referencing the Aragon pre the phono stage is under cover in the unit not separate however these preamps have an Isolated Power Supply (IPS) separate from the unit see attached pics. I have one of these waiting in the dugout for when I decide to jump back in to vinyl. Mondialfan, who upgraded Lee’s Acurus has a thread where he hot rod’d an Acurus RL-11 and added his own IPS, very nice build he did i’ll See if I can find a link.

A42357C9-55A1-40E9-8326-47230E191848.jpeg 66214C6C-80D2-4EAF-A4A0-106993742E93.jpeg

Attachments

Tagline
Born and Raised In The 700 Watt Club.
I second that on the Acurus RL-11. I bought one for my system as well upon Lee's recommendation and I had Mondialfan (Kevin) hot-rod mine as well. The best pre-amp I have ever used. (Shown in the center top stack). I don't have a need for a phono stage so it's perfect for my set-up. Some don't like the lack of tone controls, but if you want the purist approach, that's not needed. (I'm not a purist). Some recordings were just plain bad.

I took pictures of the inside guts after the overhaul, but can't seem to locate them anywhere. (Annoyingly enough) And I'm not taking it out of that stack, otherwise I'd share the pics with everyone. I'm sure Lee's is more accessible....

IMG_5887.jpg

NeverSatisfied

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Play the Game, don’t be the Game
I second that on the Acurus RL-11. I bought one for my system as well upon Lee's recommendation and I had Mondialfan (Kevin) hot-rod mine as well. The best pre-amp I have ever used. (Shown in the center top stack). I don't have a need for a phono stage so it's perfect for my set-up. Some don't like the lack of tone controls, but if you want the purist approach, that's not needed. (I'm not a purist). Some recordings were just plain bad.

I took pictures of the inside guts after the overhaul, but can't seem to locate them anywhere. (Annoyingly enough) And I'm not taking it out of that stack, otherwise I'd share the pics with everyone. I'm sure Lee's is more accessible....

View attachment 60983
What are you driving with your amps ? Love the setup by the way, nothing like having 5600 watts on tap.

Warthogge

New Around These Parts
Tagline
Luck is a good plan carefully executed.
Thanks for suggestions and side bar fun. However, I want tone controls and the Acurus RL11 is missing them. So, still hunting.

Phono inputs are not needed. I don't think I'll ever go back to vinyl and if I do, I'll work a phono preamp into the system.

Geegz

Journeyman
Tagline
---there is no replacement for displacement
Another popular option as they are close to the same vintage and respond well to upgrades are the Carver preamps, C4000 and the 4000t. You can find multiple threads on these here and we have a few members who are upgrading these making them better than the original. I have a 4000t preamp modified by one of our members that is a very nice sounding preamp. I rotate it in and out with my Acurus and very much enjoy it. I’ll let any of those members chime in if they would like.

Warthogge

New Around These Parts
Tagline
Luck is a good plan carefully executed.
Another popular option as they are close to the same vintage and respond well to upgrades are the Carver preamps, C4000 and the 4000t. You can find multiple threads on these here and we have a few members who are upgrading these making them better than the original. I have a 4000t preamp modified by one of our members that is a very nice sounding preamp. I rotate it in and out with my Acurus and very much enjoy it. I’ll let any of those members chime in if they would like.
I found this. https://www.usaudiomart.com/details...preamp-with-extra-silver-face/images/3666864/
Aesthetically, it would be a nice match for a PL700 Series 2. Anything else I should be aware of?