Intermittent right channel - back again

grapplesaw

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
Clarification: The 700 uses 1, 7 pin connector. The 7 pin connector is made up of 1, 3 pin and 2, 2pin connectors as Joe described. If a single 7 pin connector is available I haven't seen it. The 400 board use 3, 3 pin Phoenix connectors. The middle pin is not used on the audio inputs to give extra clearance.

To all: This is my third straight week on the road. Most of which has been in Houston's 100+ degree heat. Thanks for your patience.
Thank you Don and Joe for pointing this out. I have attached the images of the 7 pin Phoenix connects I purchased. You can see the assembly is made up of the three prices as you noted. Gary's board seams that they were not put together as a unit and are independent so to speak. One day that may get sorted.

Attachments

62vauxhall

Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
Despite rigors of the road, Don e-mailed me this morning offering to swap a new board for my existing one but I see no need at present. Glen, your repair seems pretty solid

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Thank you Don and Joe for pointing this out. I have attached the images of the 7 pin Phoenix connects I purchased. You can see the assembly is made up of the three prices as you noted. Gary's board seams that they were not put together as a unit and are independent so to speak. One day that may get sorted.

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
Despite rigors of the road, Don e-mailed me this morning offering to swap a new board for my existing one but I see no need at present. Glen, your repair seems pretty solid
Gary if Don wants to replace it then I would accept if I was you. A new one will be without any issues and who knows what else may go wrong with the current one, all be it is working properly

62vauxhall

Tagline
I'm hoping not to be perceived as the height of lazy but I'm a little reluctant to take on ANY chore under my present work schedule.

I leave home on weekdays at 5AM and return 9:30/10PM. I must get up at 4AM so there are 6 ~ 6 1/2 hours to eat something and sleep. Sundays I'm also up at 4. Although I'm home at 2 or 3, I don't really feel like doing stuff that takes thought. Most Saturdays I have off but that's when I do my errand running. There's little time for delving into something that is now working. What I could ask Don to do is sell me a new board which I can load at my own pace. Once done, I would just send him the old board on my nickel.

I'm proof that people should be careful what they wish for. I wanted a job completely different from what I was doing and I certainly got that. Low pay, long hours, no leisure time, no stat holidays and no benefits.

Other than that, it's s great job!

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Gary if Don wants to replace it then I would accept if I was you. A new one will be without any issues and who knows what else may go wrong with the current one, all be it is working properly
Replace it. If there is one already mounted, it's monkey work to replace it. 10 minutes tops.

62vauxhall

Tagline
Maybe I'm wrong, but I did not think Don was referring to a completed board. My assumption was send him the old board minus the parts and he would send a new bare one. It was the thought of re & re-ing the components that I was balking at.

That's why I thought of just buying a bare one, so as there was no pressure and I could mount the bits & pieces at my leisure - as few and far between as those times are.

I agree that swapping whole boards is quick. This one's been on and off a couple times.

Last edited:

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Not many people would expect someone to pull all the parts off a board to use on another. It's not good practice and may be where your problem came from. Even if you have to, buy a complete assembly.

wattsabundant

Chief Journeyman
Not many people would expect someone to pull all the parts off a board to use on another. It's not good practice and may be where your problem came from. Even if you have to, buy a complete assembly.
This is the first failure that I know of. My offer was to replace the board with one that is fully assembled and tested if the old one acted up again. I'd like to determine the root cause, whatever it is. That said, for the most part I subscribe to not fixing things that aren't broken. Changing out a working board opens up the possibility of causing a new problem such as a broken wire on the driver board or whatever goes wrong because stuff happens.

The good thing about selling these boards is I don't depend on it to pay the rent. It pays for a keg (currently Shiner Ruby Redbird) in the kegerator. Actually 2 x 1/6 barrels as I have dual taps. Anyhow, Lee reminded me a few years ago that it's just not worth getting up tight about. I haven't forgotten that.

If the board needs to get swapped out let me know. Patience please. I'm on the road a lot the rest of the year.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Don, your boards operate as advertised, there are a lot in circulation now. I don't think there's anything wrong with your boards Don, good stuff!!

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
Don, your boards operate as advertised, there are a lot in circulation now. I don't think there's anything wrong with your boards Don, good stuff!!
I second that

the problem on this one is assembly related and rework to correct that. The boards are solid Don

62vauxhall

Tagline
The board's intermittent behavior may stem from the amp being dropped during shipping on it's way back from the WO conversion.

After receiving it, when the one channel first started dropping out, I suspected interconnect cables, pre-amp and speaker connections. Also one meter was sticking which it had not done before. Lee offered to swap meters and in removing the one in order to send, one or two wires going to the protect board literally popped out of the phoenix connector. At that time, I corresponded with Jerry who did the conversion and I thought perhaps the nature of the wire he used was such that it could not be gripped properly in the connector so I tinned the ends.

It was while removing the meter and tinning the wires, I noticed the large capacitors were askew. That made me suspect the amp got dropped and possibly explained why the meter was funky. Although there was no damage to the shipping carton which I constructed myself and was quite sturdy, the dis-positioned capacitors seemed to indicate an impact of some kind.

Maybe a sufficiently hard knock like a long drop affected the protect board?

In the meantime, I am going to leave well enough alone until, if ever, it starts acting up again.

Last edited:

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
This is the first failure that I know of. My offer was to replace the board with one that is fully assembled and tested if the old one acted up again. I'd like to determine the root cause, whatever it is. That said, for the most part I subscribe to not fixing things that aren't broken. Changing out a working board opens up the possibility of causing a new problem such as a broken wire on the driver board or whatever goes wrong because stuff happens.

The good thing about selling these boards is I don't depend on it to pay the rent. It pays for a keg (currently Shiner Ruby Redbird) in the kegerator. Actually 2 x 1/6 barrels as I have dual taps. Anyhow, Lee reminded me a few years ago that it's just not worth getting up tight about. I haven't forgotten that.

If the board needs to get swapped out let me know. Patience please. I'm on the road a lot the rest of the year.
Don, Your boards are solid and have a proven track record.

62vauxhall, I agree the amp got beat up in shipping but I would NOT let "the sleeping dog lie". Replacement is quick, cheap and gets a problem off your mind not knowing if it will rear it's ugly head.

Last edited:

62vauxhall

Tagline
Don, Your boards are solid and have a proven track record.

62vauxhall, I agree the amp got beat up in shipping but I would NOT let "the sleeping dog lie". Replacement is quick, cheap and gets a problem off your mind not knowing if it will rear it's ugly head.
Thanks, I appreciate the concern but according to Don's post, he's willing to exchange...."if the old one acts up again".

I have confidence in the solidity of Glen's repair who was very methodical in comprehending the fault. After the problem was identified, it was a pretty simple fix.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
And you have to remember, that's not a stock DCP board. If you do replace it with a stock board it will have to be wired like a stock board.