I'm looking for SACD sources...help please!

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Looking myself for a multi-disc SACD player. Anybody have a good one they know of? Besides a SONY 100-disc mega player? I am thinking about getting my father introduced to the hi-fidelity format, and he is used to current 6-disc magazine changers. So no stand-alone transport players.

Also, In anyone's opinion; what do you think is the best sounding example of the format? i.e. such as the aforementioned Dire Straits-Brothers In Arms? Or other Rock albums? etc................
Getz-Gilberto is the best example I have heard so far.

Dazen1

Veteran and General Yakker
Also, In anyone's opinion; what do you think is the best sounding example of the format? i.e. such as the aforementioned Dire Straits-Brothers In Arms? Or other Rock albums? etc................
I hope you gentlemen are getting into this format because of the music and not the sound quality...

SACD is a true high fidelity format but sadly, decent releases in the rock genre are few and far between (unless you are easily pleased).

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
I hope you gentlemen are getting into this format because of the music and not the sound quality...

SACD is a true high fidelity format but sadly, decent releases in the rock genre are few and far between (unless you are easily pleased).
The Police, Every Breath You Take is a masterfully done rock album that comes through very well on SACD.

Isn't it a bit of both? I have music that I like but the recording quality is so poor that it takes away from the listening enjoyment. Traffic is one of my favorites but go try and find a quality recording anywhere. The first Moody Blues album is one of my favorites too but the sound quality is almost unlistenable, unless you consider very obvious distortion part of the experience.

Dazen1

The Police, Every Breath You Take is a masterfully done rock album that comes through very well on SACD.

Isn't it a bit of both? I have music that I like but the recording quality is so poor that it takes away from the listening enjoyment. Traffic is one of my favorites but go try and find a quality recording anywhere. The first Moody Blues album is one of my favorites too but the sound quality is almost unlistenable, unless you consider very obvious distortion part of the experience.
The rock genre is poorly served by SACD. If your taste in music is limited to the usual suspects - Stones, Clapton, Dylan, Floyd etc then you will be fine.

If not, you are going to be bitterly disappointed with what else is available.

My comments were directed at the notion of asking for recommendations of an album based on the sound quality as opposed to the musical merit.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
The rock genre is poorly served by SACD. If your taste in music is limited to the usual suspects - Stones, Clapton, Dylan, Floyd etc then you will be fine.

If not, you are going to be bitterly disappointed with what else is available.

My comments were directed at the notion of asking for recommendations of an album based on the sound quality as opposed to the musical merit.
Beach Boys
Foreigner
Doors
Norah Jones
Chicago
Hall and Oates
Cat Stevens
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Santana
Billy Joel
Pretenders
The Band
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Miles Davis
Gram Parsons
Allman Bros
Carole King
Doobie Bros
Rush
Marvin Gaye

Dazen1

Beach Boys
Foreigner
Doors
Norah Jones
Chicago
Hall and Oates
Cat Stevens
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Santana
Billy Joel
Pretenders
The Band
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Miles Davis
Gram Parsons
Allman Bros
Carole King
Doobie Bros
Rush
Marvin Gaye
As I said - the 'usual suspects'.

An observation rather than a criticism. :)

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Beach Boys
Foreigner
Doors
Norah Jones
Chicago
Hall and Oates
Cat Stevens
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Santana
Billy Joel
Pretenders
The Band
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Miles Davis
Gram Parsons
Allman Bros
Carole King
Doobie Bros
Rush
Marvin Gaye
Man, I am glad I have tons of clean vinyl to listen to instead of searching for SACD's. Most stuff I like is not even available in that format

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Who are you looking for? More titles are coming all the time. SACD ended up being the surviving audiophile format.
Many rock albums do not deserve to be on SACD, the original masters were so bad that you really gain nothing. I have a GNR MOFI CD that IMO they wasted their time converting it to the MOFI format, great music, still bad audio.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Man, I am glad I have tons of clean vinyl to listen to instead of searching for SACD's. Most stuff I like is not even available in that format
SACD and vinyl are very close so vinyl definitely equals a good analog format. Unlike Redbook CD which unfortunately degraded the music.

The sad part about much of the available vinyl is that it got mistreated and has a lot of surface noise as a result or was not originally mastered for vinyl as well as the current SACD remasters of the original tapes are. There are exceptions to this of course and those are very good.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
I should try out a SACD some timne. I have owned a few SACD/DVD players for 10 years or so but never had a SACD to try on them.

Dazen1

Who are you looking for?
I'm not looking for anything on SACD as the format does not interest me.

The point I am making (again), is that the selection of titles available in the rock genre is limited. Furthermore, quite a few of those releases are now OOP and expensive to purchase.

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Damn Dude!! I've had a SACD player for 6 months now. Still haven't played a SCAD on it yet. Course today, with a pocket full of money and my contract withh AT & T up I have been crawling out of the Miocene period slime and get to the top of the hill and all I can see ARE PHONES, as far as the eye can see. I'm going with Verizon, now what??

PS---Dave you have now been shown how to hijack a thread by a professional....

And the purpose of all this was to say, while I'm phone shopping I'm gonna buy a SACD.....
I'm just looking for a girl that can yin to my belly's yang so we can slow dance closer.

Tagline
Born and Raised In The 700 Watt Club.

Then perhaps I am looking for opinions from people whom the format DOES interest? Because I need helpful feedback on providing my father with something better than what he has? And SACD has been accepted as the best solution for hi-fi recording to date. Even though the music selection may be lack-luster? We have to TRY? He is not limited to just rock. It was but one example.

My father has records, but does not play them. He likes to sit across the room and change the CD player with the remote while drinking his beers. Lights dimmed, mellowed out and enjoying his music. He has NO interest in getting up to change records all the time. And the scratchy records don't make him all warm and fuzzy inside. To him it's noise. His personal experience with the best fidelity SO FAR seems to have been better served with the CD format. Again, something he can enjoy remotely.

His bitch is when the kids come over and want to try to impress him with all the oldies music they can get for him with their ipads and iphones. They hook up these digital devices to his pre-amp and he complains because while the music selection may be better; he cannot stand the terrible fidelity. So he leaves.

My intent here is to push the boundary further, for his birthday or fathers day, by giving him a gift of something BETTER. Thereby exploring the hi-fi format of SACD. Because that was the only surviving two-channel audio hi-fi format. Now his tastes are not rooted in rock music alone, but oldies. The temptations, Patsy Kline, ........ I dunno? Stuff my mother likes? They listen to that stuff all the time, but I am not there so I have no big fat list to throw at you so you may critique it? I just know that he is using an audio research preamp and Bozak Concert grands. Fidelity is important to him, and it'd be a nice gesture of mine, to provide him with SOMETHING better than today's super/hyper compressed cell phone distorted music and compressed satellite radio music. There's gotta be SOMETHING? Something that surpassed the CD? That brings out the best in music?

(And if Lee saw this he'd say; "your solution is a WOAPL 700B.") Yes, yes......we've been down that road before. The amplifier hardware is at it's peak with him right now I'm afraid. Money to do a conversion does not have his go ahead yet. But it's a great idea!

This said; Joe.....would you then agree the hi-fi format is worth exploring and NOT a waste of my time? Just throwing it out there. :mrgreen:

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast

Then perhaps I am looking for opinions from people whom the format DOES interest? Because I need helpful feedback on providing my father with something better than what he has? And SACD has been accepted as the best solution for hi-fi recording to date. Even though the music selection may be lack-luster? We have to TRY? He is not limited to just rock. It was but one example.

My father has records, but does not play them. He likes to sit across the room and change the CD player with the remote while drinking his beers. Lights dimmed, mellowed out and enjoying his music. He has NO interest in getting up to change records all the time. And the scratchy records don't make him all warm and fuzzy inside. To him it's noise. His personal experience with the best fidelity SO FAR seems to have been better served with the CD format. Again, something he can enjoy remotely.

His bitch is when the kids come over and want to try to impress him with all the oldies music they can get for him with their ipads and iphones. They hook up these digital devices to his pre-amp and he complains because while the music selection may be better; he cannot stand the terrible fidelity. So he leaves.

My intent here is to push the boundary further, for his birthday or fathers day, by giving him a gift of something BETTER. Thereby exploring the hi-fi format of SACD. Because that was the only surviving two-channel audio hi-fi format. Now his tastes are not rooted in rock music alone, but oldies. The temptations, Patsy Kline, ........ I dunno? Stuff my mother likes? They listen to that stuff all the time, but I am not there so I have no big fat list to throw at you so you may critique it? I just know that he is using an audio research preamp and Bozak Concert grands. Fidelity is important to him, and it'd be a nice gesture of mine, to provide him with SOMETHING better than today's super/hyper compressed cell phone distorted music and compressed satellite radio music. There's gotta be SOMETHING? Something that surpassed the CD? That brings out the best in music?

(And if Lee saw this he'd say; "your solution is a WOAPL 700B.") Yes, yes......we've been down that road before. The amplifier hardware is at it's peak with him right now I'm afraid. Money to do a conversion does not have his go ahead yet. But it's a great idea!

This said; Joe.....would you then agree the hi-fi format is worth exploring and NOT a waste of my time? Just throwing it out there. :mrgreen:
It is worth exploring. I love SACD because it truly sounds like vinyl does without the surface noise (I love good vinyl too but I know its limitations). I cannot tolerate many CDs because of the phase distortion that exists at anything much over 5 KHz. The SACD equivalents of those CDs solves that issue very nicely.

There are a ton of SACD titles out there. Not sure of the Patsy Cline (she is great) but I have some very nice Alison Krauss bluegrass on SACD (kicking myself for failing to get her entire collection on SACD, they are OOP and go for $300+ per copy lately)

Dazen1

Just out of curiosity guys...

What has been the profile of SACD in North America since it was introduced?

I can only speak from my experience in the UK and say that it has not penetrated beyond the audiophile community over here. Even then, I'd say it has only been moderately successful.

BubbaH

Tagline
---
I dont know anyone that has an SACD player other than myself. Only reason I have one is because I bought it for 20 dollars. I have 1 hybrid SACD and have never seen an SACD for sale anywhere. For me that about sums up SACD in my area....

dingus

Journeyman
Tagline
crusty old fart

I can only speak from my experience in the UK and say that it has not penetrated beyond the audiophile community over here. Even then, I'd say it has only been moderately successful.
i think even including the thousands of classical and jazz titles, you have pretty much summed it up for us too.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast

Same audience as audiophile LPs. You don't see audiophile LPs anywhere in the US but you can get them online. You can find SACD titles sometimes at Best Buy or Newbury Comics.

Dazen1

You can find SACD titles sometimes at Best Buy or Newbury Comics.
I have fond memories of visiting Newbury Comics in Boston back in the 1990s!

My memory is hazy, but what was the other big store nearby? Was it a Virgin or Tower Records?