I'm looking for SACD sources...help please!

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
For something perhaps different, Dave, do you have any Kitaro? I have a 1993 SACD of Kitaro's "Kojiki." New age instrumental.

Nando.

premiumplus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Stuck in the 70's
For something perhaps different, Dave, do you have any Kitaro? I have a 1993 SACD of Kitaro's "Kojiki." New age instrumental.

Nando.
Never heard Kitaro...Most of what the 90's gave us (at least in regards to rock) I can do without. I'm very much into old school rock; I do love everything Steely Dan and Donald Fagan put out. I wish "The Nightfly" or Mark Knopfler's "Sailing to Philidelphia" were on SACD. Earl Klugh also put out some very nice easy listening jazz that was very nicely recorded, but I haven't found any SACD of his stuff yet.
What's the deal with Blu Ray audio, any thoughts on that medium?

I'm really eager to find out how well the Oppo will up-sample redbook cd's. It fascinates me how post production processing by a player can interpolate data and get better sound from it. Very cool, and I want to learn more.

-Dave-

Miracle Mile

Veteran and General Yakker
The Police "Every Breath you Take" SACD is a good example of the format.
To be honest this Police SACD isn't the best example of what this medium is capable of.
The 5.1 mixdown of it doesn't add the "WOW" effect to the original music which was meant as normal 2 channel stereo.
And that is also the main problem with this medium; Most of the SACD's are reissues remixed in "so called" multi-channel sound
Just on few reissues this is done almost perfect, but most of the multi-channel reissues are sounding like poor "pseudo" surround in the claimed 5.1. format.
As Nando said earlier; This Gaucho album is an exception and is sounding very good in the 5.1 format and not surprisingly: Donald Fagen and Walter Becker are famous about the way they produced ALL their music.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
To be honest this Police SACD isn't the best example of what this medium is capable of.
The 5.1 mixdown of it doesn't add the "WOW" effect to the original music which was meant as normal 2 channel stereo.
And that is also the main problem with this medium; Most of the SACD's are reissues remixed in "so called" multi-channel sound
Just on few reissues this is done almost perfect, but most of the multi-channel reissues are sounding like poor "pseudo" surround in the claimed 5.1. format.
As Nando said earlier; This Gaucho album is an exception and is sounding very good in the 5.1 format and not surprisingly: Donald Fagen and Walter Becker are famous about the way they produced ALL their music.
Agree. It is a "good" example. Not the best by any means. It is cleanly mastered however and has great dynamic range, not compressed to the point it is unlistenable like many.

BubbaH

Tagline
---
Would you say its pointless to get SACD's if you are simply listening to a 2 channel setup?

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
I'm confused, SACD is a surround format that also includes an enhanced 2 track version embedded in it?

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
I'm confused, SACD is a surround format that also includes an enhanced 2 track version embedded in it?
SACD is NOT a surround format Lee. It is a high resolution, high sample rate improvement to the old CD format. SACD is just the bit format, not how they mix it to the CD.

SACDs are available in straight 2 channel stereo format (I have some Diana Krall and Cindy Lauper SACDs recorded this way)

2 Channel stereo SACD with a second laser layer on the CD with conventional CD format (they call these hybrid SACDs, my entire Bob Dylan and Rolling Stones collection is recorded this way)

2 Channel stereo SACD with and alternate selectable 5.1 surround format (my Alison Krauss Live in Concert and Heart SACD are recorded this way) (I only listen to the 2 channel selections on these)

I am sure there are other variants, the above are the most common. They use DVD type media so there are multiple layers they can access to store away different channel options.

Miracle Mile

Well Gepetto, this is a perfect explanation of what SACD really is, I couldn't have done it better!

But: (there's allways a but... and I'm gonna quite now):

my entire Bob Dylan and Rolling Stones collection is recorded this way....
This is one of the reasons SACD didn't make it to the mass and is starving a slow and silent death.
In my opinion it's nonsense to release albums (which were recorded mostly using recording and mastering technologies of 40+ years ago) on an high end medium like SACD.
Does it really sound better than it did before? Or is it just the placebo effect we want to believe in?

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Well Gepetto, this is a perfect explanation of what SACD really is, I couldn't have done it better!

But: (there's allways a but... and I'm gonna quite now):

This is one of the reasons SACD didn't make it to the mass and is starving a slow and silent death.
In my opinion it's nonsense to release albums (which were recorded mostly using recording and mastering technologies of 40+ years ago) on an high end medium like SACD.
Does it really sound better than it did before? Or is it just the placebo effect we want to believe in?
Yes it does...

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Explain. I'm curious.
I can play the redbook track or SACD track on hybrid SACDs, same player, same system. The SACD track sounds like vinyl does (without the background surface noise) and the CD track does not. That is the most noticeable difference. That has all to do with the sampling rate.

Take a modern SACD recording, Norah Jones. All the latest equipment and mastering technology. Does not sound as good as some of the 40 year old tape mastered recordings.

Do you have any MOFI CDs? Do you notice a difference between the MOFI and standard CD?

premiumplus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Stuck in the 70's
I can play the redbook track or SACD track on hybrid SACDs, same player, same system. The SACD track sounds like vinyl does (without the background surface noise) and the CD track does not. That is the most noticeable difference. That has all to do with the sampling rate.

Take a modern SACD recording, Norah Jones. All the latest equipment and mastering technology. Does not sound as good as some of the 40 year old tape mastered recordings.

Do you have any MOFI CDs? Do you notice a difference between the MOFI and standard CD?
Tape + old tube Neve consoles + old mics and great engineers = sonic bliss.

BubbaH

Tagline
---
Wikipedia answered a lot of questions for me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacd

From what I been reading, other than maybe grabbing 1 or 2 of these disc's simply to try them out, I dont think I'll invest much into them. While I do like CD's, Vinyl is still king for me.

Miracle Mile

Fair enough, and at some point I totally agree with you.
However, I'm still curious about how some modern and older albums would sound on SACD.
For the modern: "Touch" by Yello (2009), and for the Old: "Tales Of Mystery And Imagination" by The Alan Parsons Project (1976) Both albums are reference productions of it's own generation and they will probably never be released on a SACD.

I have no experiences with MOFI CD's... Most of the titles available aren't my cup of tea, but that's just a matter of taste and personal and has nothing to do with the technology of it.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Fair enough, and at some point I totally agree with you.
However, I'm still curious about how some modern and older albums would sound on SACD.
For the modern: "Touch" by Yello (2009), and for the Old: "Tales Of Mystery And Imagination" by The Alan Parsons Project (1976) Both albums are reference productions of it's own generation and they will probably never be released on a SACD.

I have no experiences with MOFI CD's... Most of the titles available aren't my cup of tea, but that's just a matter of taste and personal and has nothing to do with the technology of it.
Steely Dan on MOFI is quite miraculous. Not sure if that is your cup of tea or not. If it is, give it a listen.

Miracle Mile

Steely Dan on MOFI is quite miraculous. Not sure if that is your cup of tea or not. If it is, give it a listen.
I've got all the music by Steely Dan on CD, and offcourse one of the best sounding SACD's I've ever heard: Gaucho.

Will have a look for it. Thanks!

premiumplus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Stuck in the 70's
I just received my copy of Gaucho on SACD yesterday. It sounds very nice in my Pioneer DV-45A.
I'm STILL WAITING for my Oppo BDP-105 to get here. It's been delayed 3 times because of weather...I ordered it 10 days ago.
Yesterday was the most painful...I tracked it as being "Out For Delivery" and settled in waiting for a sure thing knock at my door delivery. At about 4:30 I tracked it and got a "Delivery Exception-Local weather exception-delivery not attempted". Called FedEx and tried to get them to release it to me at the FedEx hub in Saginaw, about 30 miles north of me. They said that if it was a delivery to a business they would release it but since it was "Home Delivery" they would not. The lady that I do a lot of business with at the local FedEx store suggested I do a "Delivery Option" and get it delivered to their store. I did that, and they said they'd call me today when it is delivered.
I'm a pretty patient man but after 3 delays I'm getting antsy to get my new beautiful TOTL Oppo in my system, so I can enjoy it instead of reading reviews and instruction manuals. Geez...

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
To add another good source for SACDs, try Acoustic Sounds, acousticsounds.com, IIRC. That's Chad Kassem's equivalent to Music Direct and my other go-to site for music. Chad also owns Analogue Productions, which does, for my money, the best remasterings and pressings I've experienced. Most of the stuff they release on vinyl also comes out on SACD.

Their CCR set from some years ago remains to this day the finest vinyl I've ever purchased and his SACDs are just as good.

Tagline
Born and Raised In The 700 Watt Club.
Looking myself for a multi-disc SACD player. Anybody have a good one they know of? Besides a SONY 100-disc mega player? I am thinking about getting my father introduced to the hi-fidelity format, and he is used to current 6-disc magazine changers. So no stand-alone transport players.

Also, In anyone's opinion; what do you think is the best sounding example of the format? i.e. such as the aforementioned Dire Straits-Brothers In Arms? Or other Rock albums? etc................