I'm looking for SACD sources...help please!

premiumplus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Stuck in the 70's
Hey guys...
I just bought an Oppo BDP-105 universal cd player and I"m anxiously waiting for it to come in the mail...and I've only got one SACD to my name, Pink Floyd's DSOTM, so I have to fix that lack of program material.
I am searching for SACD's to play in it, and I'm seeing prices all over the map on this stuff.
Dire Straits from 30 to 88 bucks...so I need some advice please.
Where do you buy your SACD's, what is the potential for counterfeits, and how do I protect myself?
I suspect that "that" auction site is probably a crapshoot as far as getting the real thing.

Is there any one source that stands above the rest, or do you just pay your money and take your chances?
Thanks,
Dave

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Damn Dude!! I've had a SACD player for 6 months now. Still haven't played a SCAD on it yet. Course today, with a pocket full of money and my contract withh AT & T up I have been crawling out of the Miocene period slime and get to the top of the hill and all I can see ARE PHONES, as far as the eye can see. I'm going with Verizon, now what??

PS---Dave you have now been shown how to hijack a thread by a professional....

And the purpose of all this was to say, while I'm phone shopping I'm gonna buy a SACD.....

BubbaH

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
Bought one, one time without knowing it. Its a Rolling Stones single that apparently is both. Other than that, I have never seen any SACD's anywhere. At least in my neck of the woods. Mind you I dont look all that hard. I would like to get my hands on a couple. Funny you mention Dire Straits, Love Over Gold would be one I would like to hear. Im in no rush to get any though, dont really like ebay that much, and dont think I'd pay that much for them. In the end they are still just cd's to me.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Hey guys...
I just bought an Oppo BDP-105 universal cd player and I"m anxiously waiting for it to come in the mail...and I've only got one SACD to my name, Pink Floyd's DSOTM, so I have to fix that lack of program material.
I am searching for SACD's to play in it, and I'm seeing prices all over the map on this stuff.
Where do you buy your SACD's, what is the potential for counterfeits, and how do I protect myself?
I suspect that "that" auction site is probably a crapshoot as far as getting the real thing.

Is there any one source that stands above the rest, or do you just pay your money and take your chances?
Thanks,
Dave
I always have a gift list going Dave, the family knows I like SACDs. Music Direct.com They are also the owner of all the Mobile Fidelity titles and mastering know how.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Hey guys...

Thanks,
Dave
The ones I don't have yet are a couple of the Alison Krauss/Rounder records ones. I let them slip by when they were still available. Now they are $300 each...sigh.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Hey guys...

Thanks,
Dave
By the way, a beautifully mastered SACD is Getz-Gilberto. Recommend you get it. Not that DSOTM isn't done well, just not in the same league as this mastering.

I have the entire Bob Dylan collection on SACD. Very good.

BubbaH

Tagline
---
I always have a gift list going Dave, the family knows I like SACDs. Music Direct.com They are also the owner of all the Mobile Fidelity titles and mastering know how.
Hey thats a good site. Those are much nicer prices as well. Lots of selection too.

Damn Dude!! I've had a SACD player for 6 months now. Still haven't played a SCAD on it yet. Course today, with a pocket full of money and my contract withh AT & T up I have been crawling out of the Miocene period slime and get to the top of the hill and all I can see ARE PHONES, as far as the eye can see. I'm going with Verizon, now what??

PS---Dave you have now been shown how to hijack a thread by a professional....

And the purpose of all this was to say, while I'm phone shopping I'm gonna buy a SACD.....

I've had one for well over a year now and don't own a single SACD......

premiumplus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Stuck in the 70's
Very cool, gentlemen. I'm about $150 lighter in the wallet and happy about it.
Got Norah Jones Come Away With Me , Billy Joel greatest Vol 1&2, Pink Floyd WYWH, Dire Straits Bros in Arms, and a Classic Rock collection...
Now I can't wait to get that Oppo delivered. I should have paid for expedited shipping.
Joe, they didn't have Getz-Gilberto. Any other search term I should try?
Dave

BubbaH

Tagline
---
I dont have one of those oppo decks, but I have had my SACD player for some time now. Its a pretty low end model anyways I think. But it was only recently that I even discovered I had that Stones Hybrid. Its not a good example for the format imo.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Steely Dan's "Gaucho" in SACD is excellent.

Nando.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Very cool, gentlemen. I'm about $150 lighter in the wallet and happy about it.
Got Norah Jones Come Away With Me , Billy Joel greatest Vol 1&2, Pink Floyd WYWH, Dire Straits Bros in Arms, and a Classic Rock collection...
Now I can't wait to get that Oppo delivered. I should have paid for expedited shipping.
Joe, they didn't have Getz-Gilberto. Any other search term I should try?
Dave

Dave, the "Brothers in Arms" really interests me, in part because anything Knophlers involved with is very well engineered anyway...

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
I dont have one of those oppo decks, but I have had my SACD player for some time now. Its a pretty low end model anyways I think. But it was only recently that I even discovered I had that Stones Hybrid. Its not a good example for the format imo.
I have the Stones collection in SACD when it came out. It is hybrid so you can play both tracks. The SACD sounds better but agree that this is not a good example of the format.

If you listen to any orchestral violin music the difference is a standout in SACD compared to the CD format. Any track where you can imagine the sampling at 2X would have a tough time picking out the real signal is where it becomes the most apparent. Multiple violins brings this out. Cymbals brings this out.