I'm looking for SACD sources...help please!

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
I have fond memories of visiting Newbury Comics in Boston back in the 1990s!

My memory is hazy, but what was the other big store nearby? Was it a Virgin or Tower Records?
Tower and FYE are the other big ones, or at least "were the big ones"...

Tagline
Born and Raised In The 700 Watt Club.
Just out of curiosity guys...

What has been the profile of SACD in North America since it was introduced?

I can only speak from my experience in the UK and say that it has not penetrated beyond the audiophile community over here. Even then, I'd say it has only been moderately successful.
That's the point for me. I have an audiophile father who has never been introduced to an audiophile format. I personally have the Oppo BDP-105. An universal dvd/cd player considered to be for audiophiles. Dave, another user her on Phonenix (premiumplus) also has one and loves it. Joe agrees its a fantastic player for SACD titles. So I know a few people who have them.

Years back I sold hi -fi stereo and surround theater equipment. I used to carry SACD's around with me all the tome to use as demo 's for the audiophile crowd. Chicago's album was one i had. Joe is correct ; you can aquire a few titles at best buy. Thats where I got mine. And the Best Buy by me also happens to have a magnolia store in it for audiophile/videophile crowds.

I don't want to turn this thread into anything snobby. Or something you could just go and read on AK. But here, with for PL 400's, and concert grands and vintage gear like he has; the ultimate goal one day will bring him into the WOA world. The purpose of this forum. Vintage gear beefed up. We just need a music source that the future WOAPL's can take advantage of. After all, a WOAPL is for all intents and purposes, "new tech". So adding SACD to the mix, isn't necessarily a sacralige here. But his ears will determine what he likes. And so far, the last five years have failed him miserably. Compressed sirius, HD radio having lack of stations, not being able to pick it up being in the boonies, ipads and pods terrible compression, etc. he has reel to reel and a technics viynl tecord player but they sit there. CD is just ok. As Joe points out ; a lot of CD 's out there are unlistenable. Especially to the trained ear like Joe and my father have. So is not SACD the place to go for this situation? Check OPPO out. You will find nothing but good a out them. And getting one even for regular CD's may be an audible step up.

I would think that with the right source; anything can sound better? We will see when the fully comp PL 400 program starts. ;-)

BubbaH

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
Any of you SACD guys have any experience with the Pioneer PD-D6-J SACD player?

braxus

Journeyman
I've had two SACD players over the years. Both were/ are Sony's. I currently use the XA5400ES unit, and it is decent enough for most discs, though still not quite high end enough for what I've heard before. I'd love to get a Luxman or McIntosh SACD player. My old McIntosh CD player 7009 played so well, it made discs sound like SACDs. I almost wish I didn't sell it for the Sony I have now.

Sources for discs I see are as mentioned before- Music Direct, or Acoustic Sounds.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Highly recommend the Oppo BDP105 or 105D

Great stuff and excellent components used throughout the player.

BubbaH

Tagline
---
I only asked because I saw one for sale locally. Price seemed OK, and I thought I could replace my low end Sony SACD player. Wondering if anyone had experience with the player.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
I only asked because I saw one for sale locally. Price seemed OK, and I thought I could replace my low end Sony SACD player. Wondering if anyone had experience with the player.
Drawback is that it is only 2 Channel.

mtgray

New Around These Parts
On a boat on the Mississippi River above St. Louis
Tagline
---
SACD sources

I now have about 200 SACD discs, most were purchased 'New' or 'Like New' at Amazon.com and eBay.com. Also bought quite a few titles new from a HiFi source a few years ago but can't remember the name of the place now. Never bought any at a big box store.

I'm a newbe at this site so please be kind, vintage audio is my thing.

I just finished a Phase Linear 400 Series 2 rebuild using everything White Oak offers, absolutely the best rebuild I ever attempted. Just finished yesterday, been playing SACDs through it all day playing with the final settings for the meters.

SONY SCD-CE775 using Stereo outputs
White Oak modded PL 400 S2
directly coupled - nothing between them but the RCA cables

Sounds absolutely fantastic at about 80-90 db from my Klipsch Heresy (original) speakers, settings produced at knob setting at 10 o'clock.

Other equipment on hand (at least available to use)

3 Dynaco 416
4 Dynaco 400
2 Dynaco Pat-5 BiFET
1 Dynaco Pat-5
1 Phase Linear 2000 preamp
3 Crown CE2000
1 NAD 2200PE - Bridged
2 SONY SCD-CE775 SACD players
3 SONY DVP-NC80V CD DVD SACD players
1 Harmon Kardon AVR 7000 Surround Sound Receiver
1 SONY DA5700ES Surround Sound Receiver
1 AR-ES1 Turntable, SME 3009, Shure v15 type III heavy modded plinth, many upgrades
1 SystemDek II, SME 3009, Shure v15 type III all stock
1 Thorens TD 125 (original model), SME 3009, Shure v15 Type III, restored

Many other DVD, Blu-ray and HD-DVD players, I've been doing this since 1972, guess I'm vintage as well.

Cheers,

BubbaH

Tagline
---
I now have about 200 SACD discs, most were purchased 'New' or 'Like New' at Amazon.com and eBay.com. Also bought quite a few titles new from a HiFi source a few years ago but can't remember the name of the place now. Never bought any at a big box store.

I just finished a Phase Linear 400 Series 2 rebuild using everything White Oak offers, absolutely the best rebuild I ever attempted. Just finished yesterday, been playing SACDs through it all day playing with the final settings for the meters.

Sounds absolutely fantastic at about 80-90 db from my Klipsch Heresy (original) speakers, settings produced at knob setting at 10 o'clock.

3 Dynaco 416
4 Dynaco 400
2 Dynaco Pat-5 BiFET
1 Dynaco Pat-5
3 Crown CE2000
1 NAD 2200PE - Bridged
1 AR-ES1 Turntable, SME 3009, Shure v15 type III heavy modded plinth, many upgrades

Many other DVD, Blu-ray and HD-DVD players, I've been doing this since 1972, guess I'm vintage as well.

Cheers,
Oh you're gonna fit in just fine around here.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof

3 Dynaco 416
4 Dynaco 400
2 Dynaco Pat-5 BiFET
1 Dynaco Pat-5
3 Crown CE2000
1 NAD 2200PE - Bridged

Cheers,

DAYAM!!!! What Ben said!!

NavLinear

You have a very nice audio collection there MT.

You might want to define "kind" though. :laughing7: :shaking2:

Welcome to Phoenix!

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
And ya better start a thread in "Introductions" or someone will do it for ya.....

Dazen1

Any of you SACD guys have any experience with the Pioneer PD-D6-J SACD player?
No experience of this machine Ben.

I remember reading the reviews when this player came out a few years back. I think the general consensus was that is was a fairly decent unit for the price (at the time).

Could be worth picking up if it has been well cared for and is cheap. As with so many CD players of recent vintage, I wouldn't expect the laser transport to be overly robust. Not sure if the SACD feature is worth having; but yeah - looks ok.

http://www.pioneer.eu/uk/products/archive/PD-D6-J/page.html

premiumplus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Stuck in the 70's
I'll put in another vote for the Oppo BDP-105. I've had mine for over a year and it's going strong. Best CD sound I've ever heard, and I use it for my HT as well. The Oppo is in my studio, but I ran a HDMI cable thru the wall out to the living room with a wireless remote extender and voila! Double duty.
They're expensive but worth it. Oppo has unmatched customer support, too.