I'm Buying a "Mule" PL400

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
I see what you mean. But I am old school and I think the point to point wiring is authentic and beautiful, when properly dressed. Of course, I have to install a new backplane to get caught up to you guys. Does anyone think this is an audible difference after installing just the new backplane? Has anyone done that or has the new backplane always been part of a Full Comp upgrade?

When you do the backplanes and control board, you'll gut all the old crap wiring. The original wiring looks like hell when compared to a correctly wired WOPL. Authentic is one thing but a WOPL'd amp is a thing of beauty and the extra power is a bonus. You'll never look back. Do the whole thing.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
The average person does not run with the covers off so looking authentic is Null. If you ever had to sell, the original would go for $600-$800.... A wopl will go for twice that and more.

mlucitt

Oh, so if you use the backplanes, then you HAVE TO build a Full Comp control board and replace half the output transistors. So there can be no A-B comparison between a stock PL and one with just the new backplanes. I get it. A little slow after stuffing my new Rev E control board...

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Mark, remember how much difference there was between your Quasi-Wopl'd , A-board, stock backwall compared to a complete stocker?? Figure that much difference between that and a full blown , full comp , backplaned WOPL....

Yes dude, jaw drop fucking sublime...

mlucitt

OK, so right now I am building a Quasi-Comp board out of habit (the muscle memory is fantastic, even with the new control board layout, my hands go very close to the correct component site automatically). You guys have convinced me I need to order another Rev E control board kit from Joe and build that one Full Comp. I think I see a trend here, Joe you have them well-trained. Second order pending...

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
And all those stuffed A boards you parted with when ya split went to good homes....

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
OK, so right now I am building a Quasi-Comp board out of habit (the muscle memory is fantastic, even with the new control board layout, my hands go very close to the correct component site automatically). You guys have convinced me I need to order another Rev E control board kit from Joe and build that one Full Comp. I think I see a trend here, Joe you have them well-trained. Second order pending...

The E-board has gobs more soundstage, and a smoother top end...

remember how we used to match the TIS 97's to get offset below 10mv?? Now its.000, or .001....always...

mlucitt

Finished assembling the Rev E control board today, took about six hours all together. And I had to put a new tip on the Weller station. One question: do you put the 3-position connectors on the back with the openings facing up or down? I don't have an amp here to decide if the Q6 leads can loop up over the top or if they should come up from down below.

The E-board has gobs more soundstage, and a smoother top end...

remember how we used to match the TIS 97's to get offset below 10mv?? Now its.000, or .001....always...
I remember those days... You bought them by the 1000's. A smoother top end? Are you talking about my haircut?
Yeah, I'm pretty much sold on the Full Comp layout. The next order (will have to wait until after May 1st) will include the backplanes along with another Rev E control board to be built Full Comp.
Rev E Control Board.jpg

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
And there is a big soundstage audible difference that comes with full comp.

The PL400 backplane kit is easier to build and install mainly because of fewer components.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Finished assembling the Rev E control board today, took about six hours all together. And I had to put a new tip on the Weller station. One question: do you put the 3-position connectors on the back with the openings facing up or down? I don't have an amp here to decide if the Q6 leads can loop up over the top or if they should come up from down below.

I remember those days... You bought them by the 1000's. A smoother top end? Are you talking about my haircut?
Yeah, I'm pretty much sold on the Full Comp layout. The next order (will have to wait until after May 1st) will include the backplanes along with another Rev E control board to be built Full Comp.
View attachment 34804
You banged that out in no time Mark. Looks great.

mlucitt

One day left on the PL400 Ebay auction and it is now up to $128.99. My theoretical limit is $150 because he wants $50 for shipping. I could up the bid now and see if it scares others off, or I could lurk until the end and then bid like a crazy person.
Thoughts?