If you were to choose from these, which one and why?

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
I wouldn’t overlook the Idler Reks unless they have that General Industries death cube motor. Though idler tables need a lot of work to be quiet, but are worth it for that “slam”. Any turntable with a Papst motor is worth saving.

I kinda like the quartz countertop look……
What is your opinion on the round Universal Electric Co Motors? I know Papst are the most desirable but may be very hard to come by.

mr_rye89

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Lost in the Ozone Again
What is your opinion on the round Universal Electric Co Motors? I know Papst are the most desirable but may be very hard to come by.
They are pretty decent, run quiet, cheap. The one I have has sticky grease in the bearings and takes a minute to get up to speed. They don’t come apart easily but have oil holes for the bearings, according to Joseph Esillma’s ROK blog you can force WD-40 in them with compressed air. I have enough stuff laying around to put together another Rondine B-12 if I wanted to…..

Northwinds

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Only idler I have still is a Garrard model A. Its just a shelf piece, I would never play any of my records on it though it still runs ok. I had an 80 with the wooden tonearm to that did not really impress me