If you were to choose from these, which one and why?

J!m

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
BOT
Micro Seiki MB-10 $90
ADC 1600 $130
Pioneer PL-112D $140
ADC 1700 $175

All but the pioneer are made by Micro Seiki.

Condition is comparable across them.

Last edited:

George S.

To me it would depend on what equipment I was using the turntable with. If I was using a Pioneer receiver, I would want a matched Pioneer turntable.
When it comes to higher end esoteric separates, country of manufacture and time period would dictate the match.
This is a symmetry that appeals to me and makes me grin.
Also, I personally like a very simple belt drive turntable. They are generally very quiet and bullet proof.

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
Love the early belt-drive Pioneers. Good performers, proper looking deck. I came very close to getting a PL-10 or 12 before I decided on my AR-XA the first time around. I think the whole suspension argument AR made swayed me that direction.

The 112D gets my votes (early and often...)

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
I would do a little research on the reviews of the turntable you've listed. I bet, the construction and quality of materials used in the Pioneer PL-112D exceeds the others. I could disassemble my PL-115D to show you the inner workings. Not a big deal to separate the top from the plinth.

Nando.

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
$229-1600 1978
$279-1700 1978
$100 other two, 1977, MSRPs and first year of availability per Orion which we know has errors.
Quick google brings up ADC is just a BSR and look good but sonically only adequate.

The Pioneer has been well liked on ak in years past by folks that know tts.

As to the PL-10 that Bob mentioned, a friend got one years ago in cl buying spree and it is here now for me to sell and it seems to be a nice table I could see it performing well above its price point.
So I gotta agree with Bob on this one.
The 112D gets my votes (early and often...)
I would use a high compliance cartridge on the ADCs for the straight lower mass arm vs the higher mass (medium mass overall) Pioneer table if the ADC is the one. Its tonearm should be pretty nice. The Pioneer has an arm that will work with more of todays cartridges overall I would think.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Also, I thought you had been looking for a match to your Pioneer SX-580 receiver. And were any of these turntables listed as already having cartridges mounted on them? I have bought $20 turntables that have had vintage cartridges, mounted on them, worth much more than the turntable.

Nando.

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
Also, I thought you had been looking for a match to your Pioneer SX-580 receiver. And were any of these turntables listed as already having cartridges mounted on them? I have bought $20 turntables that have had vintage cartridges, mounted on them, worth much more than the turntable.

Nando.
Well the table wasn't 20 but 300 and it had a 2 grand cartridge on it. My only way to higher end cartridges these days.

Wheel-right

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Man, Ya shoulda been here yesterday
Gotta say my PL-12D has been a workhorse since new [1976] at $100.00, belt replacement the only thing done to it, the only reason I don't use as often now is being lazy and so using the Yamaha PX-3 cause it has auto return and shut-off. Same for my AR-XA love the way it sounds and play but...

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
ADC 1600 $130
Pioneer PL-112D $140
Micro Sei MB-10 $150
ADC 1700 $175

All but the pioneer are made by Micro Seiki.

Condition is comparable across them.
Rek O Kut belt drive table...something like K33H. Not the idler driven Rek o Kuts Or Technics SL-1200 direct drive

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Thanks for the replies!

Prices adjusted- see first post. (that is the shipped price by the way)

I have always been interested in Miceo Seiki. So I started digging into the “off brands” that they made for others. Many are rare now but these are available, decent condition and have a nice look (to my eyes).

The ADC/BSR are made by Micro Seiki too.

The pioneer is in the same price bracket but as Nando noted, is a nice match for my receiver. But I may not be have the receiver forever, so if I spend that money, could a better performing table be had for similar money.

For quite a bit more I have my eye on a KD-5077, which is a wood grain finish KD-5070 I currently have. TOTL with only the finish being different, and I prefer the wood to the “naked” concrete plinth.

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
Well we have prices, we learned about shipping, you have said what you like but you haven't said what you are looking for, performance, cartridge, features and such and of course I would never have a table shipped by anybody but me and a handful of folks we know that can do this without getting the table destroyed by the package mishandling companies. We also don't know where you are so we can sneak a peak at CL or other p2p options in your area where you can go get something and verify it works properly. If that is something you want, a working turntable delivered in working order.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Working would be good, but at these prices, they will all need SOMETHING…

Realky looking to scratch the Micro Seiki itch I guess. Best plan is to stick with the Rega and Kenwood I have. I do like the wood grain look however…

That gives me a good belt and good direct drive turntable to choose from.

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
Yes, a good table of each power plant/ drive system is nice. I have that for the armless bandits and recently came into matching arms to use from a friend. These main tables get the job done.

The automatic, and I don't care if it is semi- or full auto is a technics version of their manual table I had years ago. Bought because it was a deal and I said I'd buy the whole stack (under $200) when others just wanted the tuner, Yamaha TX-1000. I didn't know the tuner but it sure does sound good. Took a place in the main rig. Had to read the owner's manual twice for the price of gear.

Hope you find a nice deal on a Micro Seiki...I'd try for a Luxman PD-277 automatic with the TA-1 tonearm. Great looking MS table that performs well. Their wood grain is rosewood for a richer look than most tables.

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
I used to have a DD25 or DD30 Micro Seiki TT. It was a decent table, no comparison to a 1200mk2 but still a good performer. Skynyrd77 (Jason) probably still has it

J!m

Tagline
BOT
I discovered the 5077 is the 5070 (which I have) but a "wood grain" finish over the concrete (I think they stuck contact paper on it). So, now I'm trying to find one reasonably priced that I can make perfect using the 5070 I have for parts (if needed).

It looks much better in "wood" than "Quartz countertop".

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I discovered the 5077 is the 5070 (which I have) but a "wood grain" finish over the concrete (I think they stuck contact paper on it). So, now I'm trying to find one reasonably priced that I can make perfect using the 5070 I have for parts (if needed).

It looks much better in "wood" than "Quartz countertop".

But the quartz is easier to get Maple syrup and cocaine off with a little scrubbing bubbles. :)

HUH?

J!m

Tagline
BOT
True. Even the label adhesive doesn’t stick well enough to it in place.

Seems to stick better to the vinyl wrap.

It’s a heavy table.

mr_rye89

Tagline
Lost in the Ozone Again
Rek O Kut belt drive table...something like K33H. Not the idler driven Rek o Kuts Or Technics SL-1200 direct drive
I wouldn’t overlook the Idler Reks unless they have that General Industries death cube motor. Though idler tables need a lot of work to be quiet, but are worth it for that “slam”. Any turntable with a Papst motor is worth saving.

I kinda like the quartz countertop look……

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
I wouldn’t overlook the Idler Reks unless they have that General Industries death cube motor. Though idler tables need a lot of work to be quiet, but are worth it for that “slam”. Any turntable with a Papst motor is worth saving.

I kinda like the quartz countertop look……
Reks used to be low cost to obtain on Ebay, not any more.