I want a Reel to Reel

Ric27

Journeyman
Tagline
Super Cool but don't know it.
I give up

Well I turned the 707 over to the local Hi Fi Tech. They are pretty good and I am hopeful that they can get her going. He seemed optimistic. Never could get the thing to transport constantly. Should know something in a couple of weeks.

Ric:glasses2:

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
RT-707! Absolutely! But I have a question about these R2R decks that are now 30+ years old- are there resources for head relapping or replacement? Reliable repair facilities who can adjust the heads correctly?

Apologies for throwing a rock into the tape world, but as beloved as our tape decks are, they're more or less obsolete now!
The decks can be repaired still and heads for these are not so often lapped as they last a long time without it. I would say either a RT707 OR a RT909 will fit but the 909 would be tight plus you need to leave the reels outside the cabinet otherwise you will find nothing to fit. I have a RT909 sitting behind me but a Uher 4400 on the bench.
If you need repairs there are plenty of guys doing it still.
I am putting Nortronics heads on the RT909 behind me but I just put new heads on a RT909 that pioneer still had some last month.

jaetee

Journeyman
Looks like a good fixer-upper. If going to tech anyway, I'd try to have him put new pinch roller rubber on while he's at it... Available relatively inexpensive from your favorite auction site.

nelsress

Journeyman
I got one of those...

DSCN3516.jpg
Or one of these-----
at an auction last year for $1.00. Granted it's nowhere near that nice looking and doesn't have the metal reels or fancy hubs but hey, for a buck!? I had one that was stolen back in the 70's and still had the hubs, take up reel, some blank 10" tapes, the original corded remote, etc. so I couldn't pass it up. That plus they're such a classic that there's hardly a part you can't find for the things. I think that when they're up to spec that they sound phenomenal and are quite beautiful in their own spartan/utilitarian way. You can find them around, they made a ton of them over quite a long period of time. Good luck!!

Last edited:

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
DES will like this one.

The choice between a X2000R and a A77 will be no competition as the two are probably 2 decades apart in design. The X2000R will win in audio but not in longevity. But I have seen some A77 units that have parts falling apart and looked pretty rickety. I don't suggest them as a deck but a B77, PR99 or something newer.
I have not been impressed by some units and the A77 was one of them. $1.00 for one is the right price though.

nelsress

Journeyman
Well, perhaps...

DES will like this one.

The choice between a X2000R and a A77 will be no competition as the two are probably 2 decades apart in design. The X2000R will win in audio but not in longevity. But I have seen some A77 units that have parts falling apart and looked pretty rickety. I don't suggest them as a deck but a B77, PR99 or something newer.
I have not been impressed by some units and the A77 was one of them. $1.00 for one is the right price though.
I'm not sure of all the particulars of the ones you've heard but I owned and played mine for a couple years. Granted I was using a Phase Linear 400 (new), a Soundcraftsmen PE2217 preamp/equalizer (new), a DBX 3BX (new), a Technics SL-120 with SME 3009 type II with a Shure V15 type III cartridge (all also new) along with the Revox A77 (new) so the setup wasn't too shabby. The A77 can sound amazingly good, believe me.

Nelson