I want a Reel to Reel

Ric27

Journeyman
Tagline
Super Cool but don't know it.
DECK ARRiVED

7:30 last night that the postwomam showed up with the 707. She is pretty damn strong to get up the stairs to the porch and still be smiling when I opened the door. It seems to work, in that it records and plays back and sounds good to me. I have attached some (not to good) photos to show the pitting on the heads. Did it buy some junk? What do you think? Anyway I got it for a good price and will put some money in it if I have too. Pleas take a look.

Ric:glasses1:

IMG_6060.jpg IMG_6071.jpg IMG_6072.jpg IMG_6075.jpg IMG_6076.jpg IMG_6079.jpg

Fishoz

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Always learning!
First things first - you have to try and clean the heads with head cleaner and a swab. It looks to me to be just old dust from being in storage. You may be surprised at what will come off. The heads may be playing good but the pitting or dirt will damage tape that is in contact with it. Good luck, I do think you will be surprised as to what comes off in the cleaning.

Ric27

Journeyman
Tagline
Cleaning

First things first - you have to try and clean the heads with head cleaner and a swab. It looks to me to be just old dust from being in storage. You may be surprised at what will come off. The heads may be playing good but the pitting or dirt will damage tape that is in contact with it. Good luck, I do think you will be surprised as to what comes off in the cleaning.
Fishoz, I did spend some time wit swabs 90% alcohol. Still seeing some real gunk in the crevises of the guides but I think I have the majority off the heads. Do pitted heads need replacing then?
ric:glasses2:

Fishoz

Tagline
Always learning!
I can't imagine that tape running across a pitted surface would be a good thing. Can anyone else confirm my thoughts?

I would say that it would cause accelerated wear on the tape.

Ric27

Journeyman
Tagline
Agree

I can't imagine that tape running across a pitted surface would be a good thing. Can anyone else confirm my thoughts?

I would say that it would cause accelerated wear on the tape.
I would have to agree with that. Also there is a bar under there with the heads that looks like it is worn and rusty and certainly needs replaced

R

Ric27

Journeyman
Tagline
Yep

Ric, there's definately some corrosion happening there. No way should a head have corrosion, nor should you play a tape over a head that has pits in it. If you can run a fingernail accross the head and feel any edges at all I'd replace the heads...
That is what I was thinking. sounds Expensive $$$$$$$$$

R:glasses2:

eminence1963

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
---
The pictures I see are tape residue. Sometimes even alcohol wont get the stuff off without resorting to Naphtha or Lacquer thinner. Once u use those chemicals go back over them with Alcohol. Lets not jump to conclusions on head replacement right off the bat.
I would like to see pics of the heads after you did said treatment.

BubbaH

Tagline
---
Sometimes even alcohol wont get the stuff off without resorting to Naphtha or Lacquer thinner. Once u use those chemicals go back over them with Alcohol. Lets not jump to conclusions on head replacement right off the bat.
I would like to see pics of the heads after you did said treatment.
I agree. Judging by the width of the wear, it doesnt look like those heads have seen a ton of use. Unless of course they have been lapped once already. Check out JRF magnetics if you'd like to price out lapped heads.(If they have any)

If you decide you dont want to spend the money to have them lapped or replaced, you could always get some dirty old scotch or some old tape thats more abrasive, and obviously with nothing worth listening to on them, and run a few passes to see if it helps smooth it out. This is not ideal, but may help.

Nick Danger

Fishoz, I did spend some time wit swabs 90% alcohol. Still seeing some real gunk in the crevises of the guides but I think I have the majority off the heads. Do pitted heads need replacing then?
ric:glasses2:
Gonna need something with a bit more potent than 90%. After you get the tape path scrubbed clean, a little metal polish to the heads and guides will help that tape slide.

Last edited:

JustMike

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
"Just Passin thru"
Gonna need something with a bit more potent than 90%. After you get the tape path scrubbed clean, a little metal polish to the heads and guides will help that tape slide.
This metal polish I have used for probably 40 years on guns, knives, auto parts etc. There are a few brands but this one
is well known. Its sure worth a try.

Ric27

Journeyman
Tagline
good to all

Thanks for all the bits of info. After my last post I thought I would take another shot at the face of the worst of the heads. I have some oxidation remover, brand name Ultra Luster. It is a polish that will pull out oxidation with out a lot of hard rubbing. Turns out most all the damage was on top of rather than down in the head and is pretty much gone. There are other signs of ware on part in the head unit. I guess I will try to address them as I go. This is a fine peace of goods and I will enjoy getting it up to snuff.

I would like to say that finding this forum has really brought me up several levels in the appreciation of fine old equipment. My system is much better that it was and I am enjoying it much better.

Thanks to all of you.

Ric:glasses2:

Nick Danger

This metal polish I have used for probably 40 years on guns, knives, auto parts etc. There are a few brands but this one
is well known. Its sure worth a try.

I use the same, Mike and apply it with a dremel. Mmmmmmmmh, shiney.........