I want a Reel to Reel

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Not coming up in search, even at Reel 2 Reel Texas.

Any manuals or more info?

I have to look over my Sams scans and see if I can find that.

orange

Tagline
Very interesting! I'll look for it in my files later today.

Ric27

Journeyman
Tagline
Super Cool but don't know it.
Tandberg 4000X

Tandberg 4000X

Anyone have any info on this Deck. One has come up for "under $200" What ar you thoughts? It has the size specs I am needing.
Ric:glasses2:

fitz43

Tandberg 4000X

Anyone have any info on this Deck. One has come up for "under $200" What ar you thoughts? It has the size specs I am needing.
I've owned a 3341X since new. Old age does a number to the cork clutches on the reel platters. They disintegrate, literally.
Synthetic ones can be sourced from Norway. I attempted to get my deck repaired locally with the synthetic parts, but the repair wasn't 100% satisfactory. The 9000 series has multiple motors and doesn't suffer this same ailment.

How can you tell if the clutches are toast? Use a FULL 7 inch reel and see if the machine will maintain speed fast forwarding and rewinding the complete tape.

I used to use it at 3 3/4 speed with an outboard Dolby unit.(Panasonic, if I recall correctly)

Best of luck!
Doug

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
With a budget of $200, that will limit your choices. I took a look at the specs of the Tandberg 4000X and I have cassette decks that could record and playback at a higher quality. It sort of defeats the purpose of saving space when a cassette deck would suffice if you are looking for a R2R deck that has a small footprint, but can give the excellent fidelity that open-reel decks can offer. I just don't see too many members out there owning this model.

I had an Akai 4000DB, which is a 7" model and it was great. I sold it because I was upgrading to higher end components. I might have pictures of it somewhere. I know I still have the product brochure and OM for it as I bought it from the original owner. This model of R2R would be within your budget.

Nando.

Last edited:

Ric27

Journeyman
Tagline
Budget

With a budget of $200, that will limit your choices. I took a look at the specs of the Tandberg 4000X and I have cassette decks that could record and playback at a higher quality.

Nando.
thanks for the reply Nando, I mentioned the price more to get an idea if it was reasonable. $200 isn't my budget max, although I do enjoy a bargain as much as the next guy. I agree that to have a R2R just because it looks so cool in the cabinet really would fly in the face of the search for Hi Fi out put. I think I will keep looking. I really like the Pioneer RT-701/707 you recommended in the first place and will keep trying to find on of those.

eminence1963

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
---
thanks for the reply Nando, I mentioned the price more to get an idea if it was reasonable. $200 isn't my budget max, although I do enjoy a bargain as much as the next guy. I agree that to have a R2R just because it looks so cool in the cabinet really would fly in the face of the search for Hi Fi out put. I think I will keep looking. I really like the Pioneer RT-701/707 you recommended in the first place and will keep trying to find on of those.

Some on the bay that look like they qualify for purchase
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pioneer-RT-...pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item1c47586bf1

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PIONEER-MOD...pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item2343fc6955

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pioneer-RT-...pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item462c038a4c

fitz43

With a budget of $200, that will limit your choices. I took a look at the specs of the Tandberg 4000X and I have cassette decks that could record and playback at a higher quality. It sort of defeats the purpose of saving space when a cassette deck would suffice if you are looking for a R2R deck that has a small footprint, but can give the excellent fidelity that open-reel decks can offer. I just don't see too many members out there owning this model. Nando.
Nando,

The cassette decks you are comparing it to weren't available in 1971-1974 when that Tandberg model was being produced. The 4000x and 3300 series used the same transport.

From the wiki on elcaset

"In 1976, it was widely felt that the compact cassette was never likely to be capable of the same levels of performance that was available from reel-to-reel systems, yet clearly the cassette had advantages in terms of convenience. The Elcaset system was intended to marry the performance of reel to reel with cassette convenience. The name "Elcaset" may simply mean L-cassette, or large cassette, since the 1/4" tape inside was double the 1/8" width found in standard cassettes."

The elcaset ran at 3 3/4 in per sec to try and get the S/N decent. My 3341 was 57db.(running on failing memory here.) The addition of the outboard Dolby unit added 10 db to that if you believe the marketing info that came with the Dolby unit. The Pioneer 707 is a better deck, but it followed 3 years later.....

Last edited:

Elite-ist

Staff member
Yes, the cassette decks I am referring to are of later vintage than the Tandberg 4000X - by about two decades. But, why stick with an older model of open-reel, when there are more modern ones that can do very well by comparison. I do have a Sony EL-7 Elcaset and most compact cassette decks of that year can't compare with an EL-7...and it would give some entry-level models of open-reel a run for their money.

Nando.

Ric27

Journeyman
Tagline
winning bid on Rt 707

I won an EB auction for a RT 707. I should get it this week. Fingers crossed that it is as discribed. Sell has good history @ 100% so maybe I will get lucky.

Elite-ist

Staff member
That was fast work, Ric. Congratulations on your successful bid for the Pioneer RT-707.

Nando.

Ric27

Journeyman
Tagline
Done Deal on the 707

Well the deal has been struck and my R2R should arrive Friday. Now I am wondering what type of tape I should be looking for. I will be recording off of LPs, Cds and the FM Jazz brodcasts.

Ric27

Journeyman
Tagline
USPS 2nd Day Run a muck

Deck sent on the 19th, 2nd Day US Mail. It took 48hr to get across Arkansas to Memphis where it has languished sense noon on Friday. What he pissing hell. Sorry relief valve cut out there. Guess it will get here before thanks givin' ya suppose?
Ric:confused1:

eminence1963

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
---
Deck sent on the 19th, 2nd Day US Mail. It took 48hr to get across Arkansas to Memphis where it has languished sense noon on Friday. What he pissing hell. Sorry relief valve cut out there. Guess it will get here before thanks givin' ya suppose?
Ric:confused1:
I hate that:angryfire:

orange

Tagline
My Pioneer boombox I got about a year ago took over two weeks, although it was after a bad snowstorm and regular mail...Contact your post office or look at the FAQ page on the USPS site as they have an aswer for that re: timelines after which you should see if it's lost.

Then just keep watching the tracking...don't forget that everyone's was butt deep in snow and then it warmed up so they might need SCUBA gear now. :albino: