I Guess I'll Call This The "TMZ MOD" PL400

TMZ2

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Starting off with making my PL400 look all pretty. A new Laser Etched Faceplate, some new aluminum bolts, took the meter trims and had them powder coated aluminum. Now I'm working on making my own LED's. Then after it's all pretty I'll be moving to the inside for some white oak audio mod's and more. Got to start somewhere.

Attachments

MarkWComer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
That is absolutely beautiful! Thanks for the video showing the laser etch- way cool!

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
LED's for what? To replace the meters? If you are, I am interested in the meters

R1200S

Journeyman
Tagline
Smoke and mirrors baby!
Beautiful faceplate TMZ. Would you share the video link that Lee's referring to?

Not sure if all of you have seen this but I thought it would be a cool replacement for PL meters. The builder is in Romania and I've swapped a couple of emails with him. Sounds like he could do a custom size but his tone isn't all that anxious. Maybe something lost in translation.
A couple of issues would be the power supply driving his display may generate some internal noise and this is a frequency display and not a power level display. Looks like there's some customization available for the opening credit and colors used also.
From what I can tell it doesn't look like an Arduino board but I'm not all that knowledgeable about those things. These were available on eBay last year for around $100 each.

Whatever you think of it.... it's really cool looking!

https://youtu.be/z65CPhSXF-4

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
^^^^^

Those digital peak meters are mighty cool, they fit the PL bezel area w/o modification? I prefer the analog meters but if I had a PL 400 w/ bad meters, those would be a serious contender for replacements provided they could be fabbed in and look like they belong there

Here is the link to the laser vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FK00j8qre6Q

TMZ2

Journeyman
Tagline
---
^^^^^

Those digital peak meters are mighty cool, they fit the PL bezel area w/o modification? I prefer the analog meters but if I had a PL 400 w/ bad meters, those would be a serious contender for replacements provided they could be fabbed in and look like they belong there

Here is the link to the laser vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FK00j8qre6Q
Thanks for posting the link for me and thanks guys for the nice words.
I'll be keeping the meters I am making LEDs for the meters. Something just a little bit different they will be independent on their own and not running off the amp that way I can turn the on even if the amp is not powered up. I'm also trying something a little different on mounting the LEDs I'll post some pictures as it comes along in the next week or so.
I am not yet familiar about the form rules so if anyone is interested in knowing more about obtaining a plate feel free to send me a PM
Thanks everyone Tony
And thanks guys for the additional links to help me out.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Thanks for posting the link for me and thanks guys for the nice words.
I'll be keeping the meters I am making LEDs for the meters. Something just a little bit different they will be independent on their own and not running off the amp that way I can turn the on even if the amp is not powered up. I'm also trying something a little different on mounting the LEDs I'll post some pictures as it comes along in the next week or so.
I am not yet familiar about the form rules so if anyone is interested in knowing more about obtaining a plate feel free to send me a PM
Thanks everyone Tony
And thanks guys for the additional links to help me out.

Tony, there are no forum rules regarding hawking your wares, get after it in whatever form you please, PM's , open posts, holler over the fence, it don't matter.......

Good lookin 400 BTW, I dug the laser etch video too, uber cool....

TMZ2

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Tony, there are no forum rules regarding hawking your wares, get after it in whatever form you please, PM's , open posts, holler over the fence, it don't matter.......

Good lookin 400 BTW, I dug the laser etch video too, uber cool....
Thanks some much. I'mliking the look so so much...

Well my first run of these were all sold before they even came in. I have a full time job and these take a lot of time running from place to place to get an order done. My son races motocross and the season starts up next week. I have two bikes to finish getting together. Originally I was not going to make another run of plates for a little while, but with so much request for more Marantz plates and now Phase Linear. I have a couple friends that will help do a little running around for me. So with that being said, I'm going to get one more large plate order together. If anyone is interested, the Phase Linear 400 plate, in black only with laser etching and free priority mail shipping with tracking number. I will be taking pre-orders and pre-order pre-pay for $185.00. This order will be placed approximately a week and a half from now. There will be a limited amount of the Phase Linear plates for pre-order. So if interested, feel free to give me a PM.

Thanks Tony

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
I, too, love the PL 400 faceplate in black. Although I don't own a PL 400, I feel impelled to pre-order one of your custom-etched front plates on looks alone, Tony.

Nando.

TMZ2

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Thanks everyone. Yeah there maybe a limit amount of these so maybe nice to have one if you pick up a amp down the road. I woul like to get may hands on a 700 next :)

MarkWComer

Tagline
Starting off with making my PL400 look all pretty. A new Laser Etched Faceplate, some new aluminum bolts, took the meter trims and had them powder coated aluminum.
(Not that I can afford it right now, but) Is it possible to send other faceplates- like from a Series II amp or a 3600 preamp- to have the same treatment done?

TMZ2

Journeyman
Tagline
---
(Not that I can afford it right now, but) Is it possible to send other faceplates- like from a Series II amp or a 3600 preamp- to have the same treatment done?
The companies I deal with all demand large volume. I'm sure there somewhere out there that would refinish one but even then the cost for the artwork the labor and everything to do one plate they have to make it worth their money.
The companies I deal with I have to make a minimum with all of them,in some cases I can combine different plates and models but I have to already have to have the artwork because the artwork is very expensive even for the smallest work. It seems like no one in today's world wants to do anything for nothing or for next to nothing. I have spent a lot of time getting things together for these a lot of running around a lot of personal time I try to do the best for cost that I can and still be able to do this in general. There's just no mom-and-pop shops left out there that can do all this in one facility everywhere is large manufactures and want to meet their minimum. Sorry that the price couldn't be any better. Thanks Tony

R1200S

Journeyman
Tagline
Smoke and mirrors baby!
Right off I can't remember the exact size of those frequency displays. If I remember they were a bit small for the PL cutouts. I think I asked the builder if they could be made larger. His reply was positive but then again, he didn't sound all that gung-ho about the idea. BUT.... you hit the nail on the head regarding the PL400 with the bad meters. I've got a FIRST generation 400 with bad meters that needs repair. Just haven't decided if it's worth fixing a Gen 1, 400.

MarkWComer

Tagline
It seems like no one in today's world wants to do anything for nothing or for next to nothing.
Everybody's gotta eat and pay their mortgage- I sure wouldn't work for nothing, either! I misunderstood, though: I thought all this equipment was your own personal "hobby toys" and not really in a production environment.

Regardless, the pieces look beautiful, and good for you that they're selling so well. Some of the Carver equipment had dark faces and I thought they looked sharp.

TMZ2

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Everybody's gotta eat and pay their mortgage- I sure wouldn't work for nothing, either! I misunderstood, though: I thought all this equipment was your own personal "hobby toys" and not really in a production environment.

Regardless, the pieces look beautiful, and good for you that they're selling so well. Some of the Carver equipment had dark faces and I thought they looked sharp.
What I meant about "working for nothing or next to nothing" that's what people think about the people that make these plates and that's why the price should be much less. People don't seem to know just how much time and money it can take to make these. And this is definitely my hobby and that is all my equipment. Just was trying to help others out with these plates. Sorry not the best when it comes to words.