Hi, I am a newbie... :P :P :P

vince666

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I will not be missed! :p
are those like pancakes? are them sweet? they look just very tempting!

at Napoli (known abroad as Naples, where my mom was born and grew before getting married and moving to here), they call pizzelle a kind of small fried pizza.
after frying them, you put some tomato sauce and, if you like, also a couple black olives.
I might eat a TON of those, when mom makes them. :)

Last edited:

vince666

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
another interesting thing, typical from Napoli...

the frittata di pasta!

basicly, if you have any leftover spaghetti (with or without tomato sauce, it doesn't really matter but if there isn't any tomato it might help to put some butter in the spaghetti) or you might also boil them from scratch , you wait for them to be cold and then you mix them with some eggs and grinded parmiggiano and fry it!
It's typical of the summer... for example you cut a few slices and bring them on the beach to have some lunch between one sea bath and the other! :p

EDIT: Sep, but are them made with rice or with potato?
We also have fried potato ones, but not shaped as a ball... more like small cylinders (crocchette).
Anyways, those are sweet? Ours are salted, not sweet... but they must be very interesting anyway!

Last edited:

Fishoz

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Always learning!
Pizzelle originated from the Abruzzi regions….the oldest known cookie recipe dating (I think) back 3500 yes. Sweet waffle cookie usually anise flavored. Cooked on a flat iron press….impressive but a lot of effing work!!! Gotta keep up the family traditions….

vince666

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Pizzelle originated from the Abruzzi regions….the oldest known cookie recipe dating (I think) back 3500 yes. Sweet waffle cookie usually anise flavored. Cooked on a flat iron press….impressive but a lot of effing work!!! Gotta keep up the family traditions….
OMG... then they originated from Italy?
and I guess you have italian origin, then?

i do realize, here in Italy, there are gazillions of recipes and typical local products... each region has their own ones and I know maybe 0,1% or even less of them... how many lives are needed to only taste them all?

and, yes, thread crapping can be a kind of art... love it when made so nicely. :D

@Nando: here we are careful with extra virgin olive oil bought in shops (the "branded" ones, i mean)... it sometimes happens it's not even made with olives or they do chemically correct some olive oil which has acidity (which is nasty and unhealthy) ...
but here we are lucky because Calabria region is a huge olive oil producer, so we use to go directly to our own trusted producer friends and buy, all in at once, the one we might need to stay OK for two years, getting the same stuff they make for themselves with no acidity at all and 100% pure first press (cold pressed) one... of course, it's "homemade" unbranded stuff.
Here, usually, olive trees make a lot of olives once each 2 years so we can find a lot of good local oil just each 2 years.

Last edited:

vince666

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
dordeeds?
what is it about?
tried to google it with no success.

anyways, i had only mentioned salted food... save for those cannoli... then need to add couple more sweets...

the cassata siciliana

and the babà napoletano

and the zeppole napoletane fritte

the icing on the cake. :p

Last edited:

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
I think they were a dough that was rolled and had some kind of wine it it. They were brown colored about 3 inches long. Had a rippled uxterior from wash board rolling I think- I never made them but I ate them back in the olden days.

vince666

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
maybe i've got what you mean, Sam.

the Turdilli calabresi, typical of my region here at Xmas time, and which i really go mad for. :p

also spelled as Turdiddri in local dialect and they aren't much known outside my own region.

the dough is made with wine, olive oil, flour and some cinnamon powder.
they are fried and then covered with honey.
the colour can be more or less dark brown depending from the colour of the wine (red or white)... if the wine of choice is white, it must be moscato (a sweet wine) and it's the most typical choice but red wine is also OK.

and yes, we definitely make them here at home at Xmas time, they need some work but mom makes them just especially for myself, because i love them madly. :)
I often watched mom making them and then I know how to make them, sometimes i also helped in making the dough and give them their shape, but when it comes to fry them, mom is the master and i simply look. after fried, you put them again on fire but only with the honey, which needs to get hot to get a bit adshorbed by the Turdilli and surround them nicely.
then put them in some plate and wait until they are cold. they are good for several days on.

is it just what you were thinking about?

Last edited: