HELP! PL400 crackling/static

wattsabundant

Chief Journeyman
Since I haven't said this in a while, any 50 watt amp can kill you. The 150 volt DC power supply in this amp will stop a heart and not let go of you. The arc flash from shorting out the outputs while measuring bias, plus flying debris can cost an eye. I never work on anything without safety glasses.

The probes on my test leads that I use for checking bias and load sharing has spaghetti tubing on them so that only the tip can make contact. Lesson learned the hard way.

Static and crackling is typical of noisey front end transistors. Most likely Q1 & Q2. The pinouts for the various recommended replacements are different. There is a service bulletin in the 400 manual that addresses it. For $20 on ebay you can get a transistor tester that identifies pinouts . A freind got me one and it never leaves my bench. Several people sell it. Here is a link for one of them. transistor tester

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Since I haven't said this in a while, any 50 watt amp can kill you. The 150 volt DC power supply in this amp will stop a heart and not let go of you. The arc flash from shorting out the outputs while measuring bias, plus flying debris can cost an eye. I never work on anything without safety glasses.

The probes on my test leads that I use for checking bias and load sharing has spaghetti tubing on them so that only the tip can make contact. Lesson learned the hard way.

Static and crackling is typical of noisey front end transistors. Most likely Q1 & Q2. The pinouts for the various recommended replacements are different. There is a service bulletin in the 400 manual that addresses it. For $20 on ebay you can get a transistor tester that identifies pinouts . A freind got me one and it never leaves my bench. Several people sell it. Here is a link for one of them. transistor tester
Or the ClassA high voltage amp too, the 40327s encircled below. I have had a couple of these go on the fritz and produce sporadic crackling and noise.
PL400 Snippet.PNG

Lewcifer

New Around These Parts

Great advice, thanks! I have been very nervous/cautious working inside with the unit powered up, but it hadn't occurred to me to wear my goggles. I got the mini grabbers reccommended above, which will be a lot safer than fumbling around with probes. I also just ordered the transistor tester. Thanks for the tip. I might end up just getting the White Oak driver board if that will solve all my problems vs replacing several components on the PL14. This could end up getting expensive, but I'm getting an amp AND an education, so I'm at peace with it.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Before installing a White Oak board, if you are NOT going with the WO backplane boards, be sure to cure any problems on the backwall...

Lewcifer

New Around These Parts
Hook your meter to the first row 10 ohm bias resistor, turn amp on and adjust thumbwheel pot while observing reading. With those old open pots it can get real erratic..
Ok, I turned the R20 on the left side to get -375mv on the first row. Now do the same thing with the other R20 for the third row?

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Yeah, how is your offset? Measure accross the speaker posts for each channel in DC volts and see what ya got.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
If it's still noisy, and you want to try and fix the factory board I have lots of whatever it takes to fix it...