HELP! PL400 crackling/static

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Agree Don if you are going to do a professional Failure Analysis on each component. Doubtful here...at work, yes, all the time.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Amen Joe. I think Lance is just trying to fix the board as a warmup to tackling the White Oak board, and hey if he can get it to work, more power to im...that's why we're here. And he needed the big caps regardless of which way he goes..

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Lance, I'm surprised the vinyl nuts here haven't quizzed you about you being a record presser??

Lewcifer

New Around These Parts
yep.......I'm really interested in your story.. What an awesome profession. Tell us more, please!!!
I’ve been doing this for just over 3-1/2 years now. We are the only pressing plant in the Pacific northwest, which is great since Seattle and Portland have thriving music scenes and artists can pick up in person rather than pay huge shipping costs. We have 5 12” presses (early ‘70s vintage) and are in the final stages of restoring a dual cavity 7” press. It’s hard work, but very satisfying. And it’s fun to hear new stuff before the bands even get their hands on them ;-)
Before this, I did offset printing for 29 years including show flyers and packaging/inserts for local bands and labels.
As a lifelong music fan that doesn’t play any instruments, I’ve been lucky to always find a way to stay involved without being a performer myself.

Lewcifer

New Around These Parts
UPDATE: Success!!! It’s now working fine and disturbing the neighborhood.
Seems it was most likely Q1, Q2, but I can’t be sure because I replaced several transistors and all electrolytics on the board. New power supply caps too.
Many thanks to the group here for putting up with my dumb questions, and especially to Lee for providing parts and patiently coaching me as I fumbled my way through this.
I’ve learned a lot over these last several weeks, and I’ve acquired a few new tools, so I’m already feeling the temptation to find another “project”.
I’m thinking my Bose active EQ might need to be refreshed...

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
Check into the DSP units too. They are available through MiniDSP or eBay. but I like the one that gives you volume control with a remote! I had a couple of Series II EQ's rebuilt and I really like the electronic modern ones done by Deer Creek Audio pretty much over the rebuilt Series II that I have!! It is fun to compare though..

I love vinyl..and would love to see an album being pressed. Fascinating stuff!

Lewcifer

New Around These Parts
I love vinyl..and would love to see an album being pressed. Fascinating stuff![/QUOTE]
Picture a hockey puck in a giant waffle iron!
It’s more complicated than that, with lots of settings/adjustments and 150 tons of hydraulic pressure, but that’s the simple way of looking at it.