fitz43's Phase Linear 700 B White Oak Conversion

fitz43

Veteran and General Yakker
Got the LED's changed out, The power switch took some modification. Over the years the last 3 threads have been ate up necessitating moving the switch TOWARDS the faceplate. Exactly the opposite direction to get some space between the switch detent plate and the soldered LED leads. After careful consideration( a couple "Aw F^%$ it'll fit") and the Dremel cut off blade we're in business.
Also Doug the rest of the Knobbed goodies weren't lining up evenly accross the width of the plate. Custom cut some shims to go under the pot knobs, and thge meter range switch, and then had to counter bore the power switch knob. I think it turned out very well. THEY DO NOT TOUCH, but a close fit. And it won't be hard to reset the clearance, drop the knobs on the switches and tighten set screw
I like the amber color. Looks much better in person than in the pics.
It's the attention to detail that makes the most difference. Wow!

I wish I had a number for the LEDS. I tried looking them up. 4.8mm or 5mm high intensity amber LEDS are easy to find. The wide dispersion seems to be the stumbing block.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Doug, I don't think you were around when we were going through our PL fan phase. This is the result of a weekend of brainstorming between all us PL nuts;

A "Snap-On" fan assembly.

Attachments

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Swapped the 2SD555's back in and ran some quick tests, I can see no oscillations. Joe these waveforms are all at 30khz, except the last it was at 60khz. Got to have a listen to this puppy. Shoukld i change out the resistor on Don's Board??

Attachments

fitz43

Veteran and General Yakker
I used to run a single fan on my PL400 if I knew I was going to be driving it hard. I can't really make out the "Snap-On" part. Does it just slip on to the ends of the heatsink fins?

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
It snaps onto the top of 2 fins first then bring the back down and it snaps to two fins on the back vertical part. Pretty cool actually.

Attachments

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
They're plain ol electrical ground clips. Buy em by the bagfull at Home Depot.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Swapped the 2SD555's back in and ran some quick tests, I can see no oscillations. Joe these waveforms are all at 30khz, except the last it was at 60khz. Got to have a listen to this puppy. Shoukld i change out the resistor on Don's Board??
Hi Lee
I see some telltale signs. Look at your rightmost scope trace. Oscillation starting right after signal goes negative. Beware.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Joe, the waveforms do give a hint as to how it will sound. After awhile the high end starts to sound really strained, and listener fatigue sets in very fast after that. It gets very annoying rather quickly.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
While on the phone with Ed, changed out the 2SD555's with some RCA-410's. MUCH SWEETER!! Next is to can the stock Zoebel resistor and try some metal film or metal oxide. Gonna take some listening to see if the 410's are sweeter that the 15024's. THEN.......we have some SJ2741's some MJ1800-'s this could take awhile. Doug, I'm just playin while I can. As soon as the cabbage case makes it back, I'll get it headed your way.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Hi Lee
I see some telltale signs. Look at your rightmost scope trace. Oscillation starting right after signal goes negative. Beware.

So, if the disturbed part of the sine wave exhibits more than one disturbance that means oscillation?? And the one notch means crossover distortion?? Or are there other tells???