Favourite turntable

marcok

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I'm very curious about any tech item
TD 124 and Garrard were professional turntables used by broadcasters in the 60's .
It must be noted that they had pulley trasmission .
Besides I don't understand why TD 124 has four external shock adsorbers in this arrangment .
I think the 3 original ones should be enough . Uhmmm ?!
Ciao
Marco

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
TD 124 and Garrard were professional turntables used by broadcasters in the 60's .
It must be noted that they had pulley trasmission .
Besides I don't understand why TD 124 has four external shock adsorbers in this arrangment .
I think the 3 original ones should be enough . Uhmmm ?!
Ciao
Marco
If it were your car your butt would be happier, never doubt old, dead engineers with records unless it says BSR.

orange

Tagline
BSR stands for Birmingham Sound Reproducers (British stereo equipment manufacturer)...in the end it was lumped together with ADC and parent MacDonald and often associated with this 3-speed turntable found on numerous all-in-one miniconsoles of the seventies and into the eighties, scorned by many...not the best turntable but a lot of kids got their start playing record on something like this:

They tried to produce a high quality phonograph called Quanta but it was too late.

Many of them are just broken or gone now, despite the vast number made, as the quality was just so variable, if not just BAD.

Last edited:

Lazarus Short

Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
Steven, I remember years ago, back when I was actively buying & selling turntables, finding a BSR Quanta (don't remember exact model) at a sale/auction way out in some rural area. I was not impressed, and passed on it. It just looked like the quality was only on the surface, if you know what I mean. Yeah, my first turntable was a BSR 310X, and the platter spindle wasn't even in line with the idler - I had to bend it with a pry bar. I was a fearless modder in those days...

Fishoz

Tagline
Always learning!
Welcome To Phoenix Lastplace. Pop into introductions and tell us a bit about yourself. You can start with what you play on that beauty.

MarkWComer

Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
The best $92 I ever spent

Bought on eBay for $92! No one bid against me, was listed as non-functional. Replaced the belt to the cue mechanism and tightened the screws on the arm carriage- has been working flawlessly since.

Pioneer PL-L1000, was never sold in the USA (except as the Phase Linear 8000 Series II).

I love this, but living in fear of its eventual death. Afterward, will probably go with a Thorens radial arm.

Lastplace

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
Nice classic Sony. I have a dead Pioneer PL1000 sitting on my dining room table. I assume it's a cold solder joint. I use to stop working, I would nudge it and it would come back to life. One day not :sad7:

List of my current tables
Sony PS-X65
Technics, SL-QD3, 1610, 1710
Pioneer PL1000
B & O Beogram 3000 linear tracker (available)
Awia SP-2200

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
Thorens Thorens Thorens, SME SME SME!! Doh from the stu!

Many carts over 3 decades , Grace F3E, B&O silver bullet, AQ 404MC, Shure V15IV

The TT has just one function, to turn the LP at the proper speed, it also has another...to isolate the vibes from the sound system! My TD-125 MKII does that in spades fellers!

derek92994

Tagline
Those who enter the man cave will get WOPLed
Once I went the Thorens/SME Combo I never looked back. 160 Super/3009 SE2 Improved/440MLa

Lazarus Short

Tagline
Thorens Thorens Thorens, SME SME SME!! Doh from the stu!

Many carts over 3 decades , Grace F3E, B&O silver bullet, AQ 404MC, Shure V15IV

The TT has just one function, to turn the LP at the proper speed, it also has another...to isolate the vibes from the sound system! My TD-125 MKII does that in spades fellers!
Stu, you neglected to mention the third, and vital, LP playback component: the phono preamp. I think the cartridge + pre-preamp take precedence over the turntable, but that's just my two cents.

EDIT: It's about time I posted a photo of my daily driver. In case you wonder what the white dots are, they hold a non-Sony dust cover in place, and make for a good fit. Sometimes, you just have to improvise... Cart is a Realistic with an original Shure stylus, and an Arcam Delta 60 serves for the phono preamp.

Attachments

Last edited:

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
I stand corrected Laz, the phonopre is very important, I've been lucky to have had very good phono sections built into my gear and haven't had the need for a stand alone unit.

The $80,000.00 Rockport would make me give up my Thorens/SME tho :shaking2:

Nice looking Sony, I've not seen one of those before. I've never been a fan of linear tonearms except for the Rockports!

orange

Tagline
With a few years off before getting the antiskating mech fixed by favorite was my first, a Realistic LAB model and Technics clone I got when I was 15. I could back cue like there was no tomorrow (although now I realize that Zen is right in saying there is no tomorrow, only now).

Lazarus Short

Tagline
With a few years off before getting the antiskating mech fixed by favorite was my first, a Realistic LAB model and Technics clone I got when I was 15. I could back cue like there was no tomorrow (although now I realize that Zen is right in saying there is no tomorrow, only now).
​What is the sound of one needle dropping?

orange

Tagline
Be glad that two grooves and twin needles never caught on...