Favourite turntable

premiumplus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Stuck in the 70's
That's a beauty...Back in the 80s I had a Kenwood KD-500 with the same arm, an SME 3009 Series 2 improved. I loved that tonearm/table combo. Wish I hadn't sold it...Now I use a Pioneer PL-71 that my son got for me a few years ago. The Pioneer was my first 'serious' table when I was starting out in audio in the 70s, and it's nice. Not in the same league as yours though.

derek92994

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Those who enter the man cave will get WOPLed
That's a beauty...Back in the 80s I had a Kenwood KD-500 with the same arm, an SME 3009 Series 2 improved. I loved that tonearm/table combo. Wish I hadn't sold it...Now I use a Pioneer PL-71 that my son got for me a few years ago. The Pioneer was my first 'serious' table when I was starting out in audio in the 70s, and it's nice. Not in the same league as yours though.
I just had to look that one up, and a beautiful table indeed. The SME arms are brilliant, I have never had an issue with that or the Thorens TD 160 Super. They are fetching insane prices these days both the arm and Thorens. I'm glad I never sell anything, just couldn't, especially the Thorens, that table will always be a part of me and my love for music.

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Honestly?

My first turntable was my favorite, but I no longer have it. It was a Realistic LAB series I got on clearance in 1981 and I had it at least 20 years. It was direct drive, probably a Panasonic clone and super easy to back cue and record from. It had a Shure/Realistic R47EDT cartridge and I made countless recordings of LPs and newly purchased 45s with it over the years, most of which are still around.

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
My favorite table is my PL-550. I have had that Kenwood KD-500 several times over the years with the concrete base. Still have one that someone put a Black Widow arm on that I am still scratching my head wondering what they were thinking. Steve mentioned the old Rat Shack LAB series. Though lightweights, I had a LAB-440 that I loved dearly. I bought it new, I think it was around $219 back in the early 80s. Over the years, I have had many Thorens TT's also and my fave of the bunch was a TD-360 mkII with an improved SME arm. Had many B&O Beograms also and I still think they SUCK regardless of cart on them but the slim profiles are a thing of beauty. Had a granite base Optonica also with an Empire cart that was not too shabby either. I think I have forgotten about a lot of TT's I have had over the years but to me, the PL-550 stands head and shoulders over most of them. Just had to update the RCA cables. I still need to get the strobe light fixed but I could actually care less about it because it only comes into play when you disengage the quartz lock. Going to need a re-veneer in the future but for now, it does what it was meant to do and still going strong. Only TT I regret letting go of was a McIntosh MT-10 with the big heavy platter that needed work. It played but had issues (mainly cosmetic) that I could not afford to take care of or really cared about. I paid $30 for it and sold it for well over a grand as it was

Last edited:

marcok

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I'm very curious about any tech item
Very interesting thread for me .
Now I'm understanding something about U.S. taste for turntables.
Thorens and SME arm II seem popular .
Ciao
Marco

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
My favorite was the Denon DP 1500 with an Infinity Black Widow tone arm running an ADC Astrion cart.

marcok

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I'm very curious about any tech item
Now , I have seen that you are from Australia and that you have Td 160 and Td 165 .
In Italy Td 160 and Td 125 with SME II arm were very popular in the 70s .
Ciao
Marco

derek92994

Tagline
The TD 160 Super has a more solid base, extra dampening and a clutch on the pulley assembly, where as the TD 165 does not, both are great tables though, given a good cartridge they perform well.

Nick Danger

Woodsong Audio

Look at this pile of junk:love2:! Chris Harben- built Garrand/ Thorens/ Linn are pretty sweet to say the least. His website has some excellent pics of his work.

derek92994

Tagline
Lovely Pieces there, its always good to see an SME arm, I'm very fond of them.