Favourite turntable

marcok

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I'm very curious about any tech item
Hi all,
it's very strange to me that this thread is empty .
Anyways : what's your favourite turntable ( including tone arms and cartridges , of course )?
I have a Linn Lp12 / Linn Ittok / Dynavector Dl 17 Karat with its step up trasformer and
my father has a Denon DP 3000 f / SME 3 / Grado .
Ciao
Marco

Retrofett

Journeyman
Tagline
---
The favorite that I currently have would be my Audio Technica LP120 (the Technics 1200 clone) I bought earlier this year.

Although my all time fav that I have at least expienced is my fathers Dual 1229 that he still has and uses. Some day it will be mine, oh yes, it will be mine. Dad never uses but my mom still drops the needle from time to time so I haven't brought the subject up of "you still want that?"

Of course if I would stop buying my mom records it would probably make the task much easier, oh well Ce la vie.

Don't have a "wow" stylus atm,

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
My favourite turntable is a Pioneer PL-630. I have a few other turntables, but this one has seen regular service since I bought it for a finder's fee of a case of Guinness Pub Draft and a successful bid in an auction. It has a Pickering XSV/4000 moving magnet cartridge. I have an Ariston Audio RD-80 that I used often before the Pioneer PL-630 with a Grado M2+ moving coil cartridge.

Nando.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Lee: The PL-90 has got me drooling, but I don't think the Master has one. Now, that's a turntable I would love to own.

Nando.

Skynyrd77

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
lost in my own world
Technics sp-15 with a audio techicna ATP12T tonearm and a denon dl-110 mc cart or a Pickering v15. Oh and it's on the technics rosewood sh15b2 plinth . Love that table.

Nick Danger

The favorite that I currently have would be my Audio Technica LP120 (the Technics 1200 clone) I bought earlier this year.

Although my all time fav that I have at least expienced is my fathers Dual 1229 that he still has and uses. Some day it will be mine, oh yes, it will be mine. Dad never uses but my mom still drops the needle from time to time so I haven't brought the subject up of "you still want that?"

Of course if I would stop buying my mom records it would probably make the task much easier, oh well Ce la vie.

Don't have a "wow" stylus atm,
I am a big fan of the recent offerings from AT. I wouldn't mind a custom plinth and cover for my AT LP 240. Add a Rek- O- Kut transcription tonearm with an Ortofon M2 Black to the mix and would be a very happy camper.

S260MKIIb750.jpg 2M+black+1000.jpg

BubbaH

Tagline
---
I have an Astatic Shibata. Extremely nice sounding cart. Can be finicky with certain albums when trying to record to tape though. Too much high end.

The 2M Red I currently use is an eliptical, and has been my main cart since I bought it pretty much.

I'm also looking forward to a Blue. Oddly enough Matt at Vinyl Alibi has not responded to my mail yet. Which is strange. He generally responds rather quickly.

Nick Danger

I have an Astatic Shibata. Extremely nice sounding cart. Can be finicky with certain albums when trying to record to tape though. Too much high end.

The 2M Red I currently use is an eliptical, and has been my main cart since I bought it pretty much.

I'm also looking forward to a Blue. Oddly enough Matt at Vinyl Alibi has not responded to my mail yet. Which is strange. He generally responds rather quickly.
Do find that adjusting VTA helps with brightness?

BubbaH

Tagline
---
It only showed up on tapes. I never tried messing with it to see if it made any difference on my recordings.

Tagline
---
Lee: The PL-90 has got me drooling, but I don't think the Master has one. Now, that's a turntable I would love to own.

Nando.

if i had a PL-90, you'd all know without question about it by now. perhaps someone might get sinfully lucky one of these days
and find themselves one of these beauties in prime condition at an estate sale or the like with something like a KOETSU cart or at least a high-end DENON already fitted.

one can dream...

Last edited:

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
My current, and probably last, turntable is this gem: a VPI HW19jr with a Mark III bearing and platter, an SME 309 tonearm and a Denon DL-304 moving coil cartridge. The preamp is a Musical Surroundings Phonomena II. Very, very nice rig but I almost gotta cast my vote for all-time favorite towards the AR XA. Still a classic that doesn't sound too bad 50 years later. Got one of them upstairs in the little vintage system.

VPI.jpg

Skynyrd77

Tagline
lost in my own world
My current, and probably last, turntable is this gem: a VPI HW19jr with a Mark III bearing and platter, an SME 309 tonearm and a Denon DL-304 moving coil cartridge. The preamp is a Musical Surroundings Phonomena II. Very, very nice rig but I almost gotta cast my vote for all-time favorite towards the AR XA. Still a classic that doesn't sound too bad 50 years later. Got one of them upstairs in the little vintage system.

View attachment 14847
Damn now that is a tt setup!!!! That's gotta sound so sweet! Jealous again lol

derek92994

Tagline
Those who enter the man cave will get WOPLed
My Favorite is my Thorens TD 160 Super with an SME 3009 Series 2 improved tonearm. I have had the following cartridges on it: Garrott P-77, Signet MR 5.0 Basic, Ortofon OM10. The Garrott was the best but would have cost $450 for a re-tip, then my Ex stole it when we parted, just to piss me off.