Favourite turntable

MarkWComer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
Be glad that two grooves and twin needles never caught on...
Cuts LP playing time in half...
What a nightmare for the guy who had to cut the lacquer!

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/PgbO_OFVaQc?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Last edited:

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Cuts LP playing time in half...
What a nightmare for the guy who had to cut the lacquer!

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/PgbO_OFVaQc?rel=0" frameBorder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

The path to progress...you have to thank the pioneers that dared to believe.

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Not very useful when 45-45 (degree) single groove stereo records at 33 rpm were being developed at AT&T Bell Laboratories in the 1930s (I have an LP of some of these recordings).

Color television, video recordings (optical and electrical) and stereophonic recording, magnetic wire and tape recording...all of these things were developed in some form between 1920 and 1939.

MarkWComer

Tagline
Not very useful when 45-45 (degree) single groove stereo records at 33 rpm were being developed at AT&T Bell Laboratories in the 1930s (I have an LP of some of these recordings).

Color television, video recordings (optical and electrical) and stereophonic recording, magnetic wire and tape recording...all of these things were developed in some form between 1920 and 1939.
I'm fascinated by the chain of development that led to what we have today. A lot of really wild ideas floated around back when the world was more mechanical than electronic, or at least when things were a melding of the two. Purely electronic things don't show any mechanism, a progression of numbers on a display is all you get- BORING! This is part of why a spinning LP hypnotizes me, as well as open reel tape decks.

Early television experiments used a rotating disc to scan the image instead of a CRT / magnetic yoke deflection circuit. Skip to 4:20 to see the mechanism in this video monitor:

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/v8l8Tfoto94?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

nelsress

Journeyman
SL-120, SME 3009 II, Shure V15 III

My all time favorite of the tables I've owned is a Technics SL-120 with an SME 3009 II arm and a Shure V15 III on it. For those of you not familiar with this table it was only made for a couple years and sold without a tonearm. Supposedly it's basically a bare bones SL-1200 as far as the guts of it and came with two anodized aluminum plates to mount tonearms on, one already setup to accept the SME and a blank plate. It's in need of a tonearm cable at the moment but, other than the legs/feet needing some work, it's a beaut! Very underrated, in my opinion, punching WELL above it's weight class. Solidly built, excellent in every way-only thing I'd change would be to add some sort of a tonearm lift. Currently I'm using an Empire 298 that I restored with a Signet AM10 cartridge that surprised me with how good it sounds and, like the Technics, could use a vintage (or otherwise) tonearm lift mechanism. A couple months ago my best friend returned my original Dual 1229 that was the first turntable I ever bought back in 1972 that I'm going to have completely restored at which time I might be forced to let the Empire go, we'll see but I don't have room for three turntables, unfortunately. I guess I could run one out in my shop but it can get a bit dusty out there.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Nelson: I will be very interested in the restoration of your Dual 1229. I have a 1229Q, which I found at the local mini flea market. I replaced the dust cover and replaced the stylus on the Shure V-15 III cartridge. I sure would like to be able to give it a rejuvenation without much fuss.

Nando.

Fishoz

Tagline
Always learning!
Get that 1229 back in rotation. Been looking for a cheap one around here to play with. I feel the vintage duals are the best for the bucks. Great fun to resurrect. Very satisfying when you get the mechanics working right.

Nando, how's the family doing? Good to see you posting again.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Dave: Mom is having a very tough time. They were married for 57 years. We will get her through this. My sister and I have been very busy with the funeral arrangements.

As for the the Dual 1229, I can imagine this was a very desirable record changer for its time. Seems there are a few enthusiasts who regard them as sought-after decks.

Nando.

MarkWComer

Tagline
As for the the Dual 1229, I can imagine this was a very desirable record changer for its time. Seems there are a few enthusiasts who regard them as sought-after decks.
I had the opportunity to use a friend's 1229Q with the same Shure V15/III setup. Have to say it sounded pretty nice, not surprised they have a following. Puck drives aren't bad if there's enough platter mass to absorb the noise.

Tagline
---
My Favorite TT: Thorens 166 MKII/ Shure V15 III/ JICO SAS
(2nd Favorite: Pioneer PL 510A/ Pickering EEE681/ NOS Pickering stylus-can't remember the model)

IMG_6617.jpg IMG_6614.jpg IMG_6616.jpg

I should note, not stock plinth and knobs, I changed them.

Last edited:

MarkWComer

Tagline
Homebuilts made from LEGO

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JFSXsOpm2MY?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LGhH20Lovcg?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

orange

Tagline
it's about time...

these guys had a hi-fi

MarkWComer

Tagline
Wasn't Crosley one of the better brands back in the pre-television days?
Is there a reason why they should even be in business today?

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/arnERf_H9qI?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

orange

Tagline
umm, I think the Chinese Borg or whatever assimilated them long ago and they also make laundry machines and such.