Ed Blackwood's Heatsinks Phase Linear 700B

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Ed had purchased a 700B quite awhile ago without heatsinks. I volunteered to remedy that situation and Ed accepted the offer. The 400 Guinea Pig was in prelude to this. I had also sent him a populated White Oak driver board to help with a repair he had on the bench at the time. Some one had installed a White Oak board and could not get it to work, so to save time Ed asked if I could send him one just in case. I did and when he laid eyes on it he could tell immediately what the other person had done, installed D3L, a no-no. So Ed asks what do i want him to do with the driver board, I replied that if there was something he could use it in to go ahead and keep it. He said he had a 700B he was building for his personal use and would use it in that. So, Ed Blackwoods PERSONAL 700B will have a laatsch55assembled White Oak driver board and a custom set of copper heatsinks, is that cool or what??

Heatsinks laid out on the blanks. Going to the shop to cut the individual blanks , then back home to transfer and layout the hole patterns for the TO-3's. Each piece of coppper is 7" X 42" and weighs 12lbs. The set will take 1-1/3 of these sheets. It will add another 16lbs to the weight of a 700.

Attachments

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Got back frtom the shop. Used a "Marvel Series 8" metal bandsaw. To those in the businesas it is known as one of the best. It can cut a piece 18" X 20". Some other pics of the shop too.....

Attachments

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Had to strip 2 heatsinks from Doug's "B" as that's all that is here. There are 2 different patterns for the outputs so I need 2 of each. Using the factory HS as a pattern I'm using transfer punches to get the hole centers right.

Attachments

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Love the huge lathe with the 4 jaw chuck. What do you use the Blanchard for?

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
I will then take the blanks to the shop anmd rig up on the bridgeport and use the DRO(digital read out) and do 1 row of holes then line up on the next row. I will measure the distance between holes and how far from whatever edge I'll be using then use the DRO to dial em in.

Attachments

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
The Blanchard is a 36" magnetic chuck , sitting next to it is a freshly refurbeb 48". We surface grind a lot of stuff Joe. All the Monarchs in the shophave 3 and 4 jaw chucks, some even a 6 jaw.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
All have flame hardened ways. Most were bought Gov't surplus. Most of the excess machine tools after WW II were brought back to factory spec and stored in huge salt caverns and deep unnderground bunkers in California, New Mexico where the air temp did not vary, hence no condensation. All were cosmolined AND AQ BITCH TO CLEAN!! The gov't decided they would not be caught flat footed like they were in 41`' with no machgine tools to build the other machine tools with. But, after the CNC's became common the old manuals went on sale. Most we paid was 12,000. average was 6,000. And they were all like new, it was unbelievable.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
2- 20 ton bridge cranes with 2 -5 tons on each side, awfully handy. All of this equipment and most of the shop was wired by me.,

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
And we have 2 quonset huts, 50 X 100 in rozet full of machines when we decide to populate the Rozet shop with machine tools.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Joe, I'm, also sticking the 2SD555's in as drivers on Doug's 700. Beins I had the 'sinks off we'll try em again.

Last edited:

NavLinear

Veteran and General Yakker
Dude - That's some nice set up you have there but what's the insulation for? Oh yeah I almost forgot it gets cold there doesn't it?

We still have quonset huts where I work that were installed in the late '40's (no insulation though). Simple, inexpensive and have stood the test of time. When I was stationed at Monteray (aka Fort Ord) we lived in the temporary barracks built for WWII. That was a few years ago though.

You scored some way cool machines that evoke a lot of memories. A skilled operater could/can produce precision hardware - it's how things were done before the digital age. We've upgraded our machine tools over the years but those older manual machines bring back good memories. Some of our lesser expensive stuff is fully manual but no less capable. Thirty years ago and prior it took an excellent machinest to produce high tolerance parts. Today one can use CAD generated files and translate them directly to a CNC machine and produce beautiful hardware. Technology rocks but I've worked with great machinests and model makers and that is becoming a lost art.

This is great stuff - thanks for sharing!

Dennis

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Dennis the Monarch manual that turned all the propeller shafts for the bigger boats, especially the carriers is still in use. Built in 1942 it's still turning prop shafts. I think the bed is 75 feet long. The operator rides on the carrier. We have a couple machinists that have been at it for 30 plus years. One cut threads daily for over 20 years. We cut all our stainless threads on lathes in the shop and when we measure we measure down to the thread. Bob will ask us where we want it to stop at whether at 1-1/2 thds showing or 3threads, etc and when it's tight it's within a quarter thread every time!! He's absolutely phenomenal. And with stainless a close m,easurement is very im,portant,. cause you can't just always get another round, just when ya really need to go another it'll gald and your done, no amount of force will do it. So our job as fitters is made a whole lot easier by the "ThreadMaster" Mr. Bob Baity.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
The Giddings-Lewis horizontal mill. Off to the right is a Lucas horizontal. All of the machines in this shop are in the good to excellent category. And the inductive bearing heater.

Attachments

fitz43

Veteran and General Yakker
Lee, I would be interested to know what the difference in surface temperature would be between the copper and the anodized heat sink fins. If the copper is hotter, does that mean that it is more efficient at removing the heat?

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Doug that was all documented in the "Phase Linear Guinea Pig" thread. Basically what we found out was copper was way better at getting the heat away from the transistor case and emitted to the ambient. Case temps stayed lower on the same load compared to the aluminum. On thge one test case temps were 176 on the aluminum and 130 on the copper.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Joe, I'm, also sticking the 2SD555's in as drivers on Doug's 700. Beins I had the 'sinks off we'll try em again.
Lee
I did not really like what I saw in your other post where you had scope shots of the 555's. I posted a reply on that thread.