Does changing the capacitors make an audible difference?

I understand what you're saying, but some machines count out hours minutes and seconds. Like my A&D GX-Z9100 counts out perfect minutes every time, and when I get done with one side of a 90 minute tape it always lands on 45-46 minutes. So I know there's no way that's revolutions but I get it, and some decks it is as you say.

George S.

Veteran and General Yakker
But, I think Sniff is correct. It's still counting revolutions somewhere in the transport and may or not export those revolutions via a belt to a counter.
If the Z6000 has the lamp, rotating vane, and sensor, then it's counting revolutions, which it's using to quasi calculate time based on which tape length is selected on the menu.

I would agree with that on other decks, and if I didn't see a video before I bought it. In that video it was counting off seconds, and it's running much slower since I received it. The counter was running twice as fast as it is for me, very strange indeed.

I'll get to the bottom of it, and it's not that big of a deal but if it's off I want to have it working correctly.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
But, I think Sniff is correct. It's still counting revolutions somewhere in the transport and may or not export those revolutions via a belt to a counter.
If the Z6000 has the lamp, rotating vane, and sensor, then it's counting revolutions, which it's using to quasi calculate time based on which tape length is selected on the menu.

Yeah, I don't know how accurate ANY of them were but it gets you in the ballpark.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
My Tascam is a "real time" counter but not exactly in sync with reality. When I burn a CD (or master file) to tape, the times don't align, and the CD/HD file certainly is accurate to a very small margin...

I always thought they should run off the capstan, not the reel, but most run off the reel (and I don't know exactly how the Tascam does it).

My Tascam is a "real time" counter but not exactly in sync with reality. When I burn a CD (or master file) to tape, the times don't align, and the CD/HD file certainly is accurate to a very small margin...

I always thought they should run off the capstan, not the reel, but most run off the reel (and I don't know exactly how the Tascam does it).
That's pretty much been my experience to, it gets close but not exact.

3D1123AE-817E-4DE4-99D6-0A67FA295CB7.jpeg Sorry for the blurry picture, but it must be the reflection. I just got done playing a 90 minute tape on the one side, and you can see where it says 45 minutes and 16 seconds. Right underneath it it says min and secs. That was very accurate and kind of handy.

To tug it further back.

Has anyone upgraded caps in either the preamp section or amplifier section of a vintage receiver and heard no difference?

When I bought my Pioneer receiver it already had upgraded caps throughout, as well as the delta PCB board from Canada. Now I know the power supply shouldn't make an audible difference, but my point is I never got a chance to hear it stock so to speak.

I would've loved to hear a stock one side by side with mine.

I also realize that by the time a vintage receiver (or other piece of vintage equipment) needs recapping that parts are more than likely out of spec, and the receiver may not functioning properly