Does changing the capacitors make an audible difference?

I went with what I thought was the better choice for this machine, because I wanted to change the frequency also and this was just easy for me. I also figured that I would always have it, because many times there's things I'd like to try from Europe and don't have the right power supply, and I'm also not a DIY guy.

George S.

Veteran and General Yakker
Well, that sure looks like a great adapter unit. Double check and make sure the frequency is set correct.
The decks motors probably run on DC, not sure about the counter. Without down loading a schematic and studying it, I'm just don't know.

I appreciate your help, and I have all the settings correct that's what's perplexing. I'll get to the bottom of it eventually, everything is working as it should so that's the big thing.

George S.

I'll try to find a service manual download this coming weekend when I'm home. Will see if there is a bulb in circuit or adjustment potentiometer for the counter. I really have no idea how it works without seeing a service manual. Hopefully one of the "tape heads" can help you with this. Later, working.

George that would be really great of you, and of course at your own convenience. Very nice thank you I appreciate it. I have a copy of the manual in my files that I got from a fire engine.

Thanks again.

wattsabundant

Chief Journeyman
Attached are 3 documents I include in my training classes. The app note does not address sonic qualities of a cap but it covers every aspect of electrolytics. The reforming guide, along with the Kenner Easy Bake Oven, are two examples of why incandescent bulbs are still relevant.

I also threw in a Westinghouse document that addresses semiconductor testing. It applies to bridge rectifiers. I'm a firm believer.

Easy Bake Oven

Attachments

George S.

So, looked over the service and owners manuals on the phone.
Units sold in the US or Europe don't come with the voltage selector switch.
Can't find a single bulb listed on the service parts.
Page 41, section 9 of the owners manual is interesting in regards to the tape counter. Says the tape is measured mechanically thru tape movement, and will vary from standard elapse time based on the type of tape used. That's why you press a C-46 or C-60 button to calibrate the counter for the type of tape used.
And then, in sections before this, they talk about the memory functions and multiple button presses and how the tape counter resets or doesn't reset, and where the tape starts or repeats and so on.
Oh, and I could find no calibration for the counter.
So, it's a very complicated, logic controlled system. Yet the counter seems rather crude if it somehow measures the tape mechanically, so it's probably not dead on accurate, just my guess.
Best I can say is run through the owners manual step by step, making sure all the memory functions work. Then start playing tapes normally making sure you set the counter to zero and tape length correctly. It may be working, as designed, just not as well as you'd like.
But, I have only one tape player, in my old car. Never even tried it as I have no tape. Hopefully the other guys will help. Please!

Thanks for looking into this for me George I appreciate it.

I saw a video of this deck before I purchased it, and it's clear that the counter is running differently than it's running now. It counts out in seconds like a normal counter, mine is out of sync and when I get to the end of a 45 minute tape, the counter is at roughly half that.

The previous owner is going to probe the tech that restored it a little more for me.

I'm going to take the top cover off today and see if I can even get at that bulb, just to check it out in case that's it.

Thanks again!

George S.

So it appears there are one or perhaps two lamps in the cassette well. Are these lamps working and clean? One may be used by the tape counter (shines through a rotating vane onto a sensor?) and the other for general well illumination.

So it appears there are one or perhaps two lamps in the cassette well. Are these lamps working and clean? One may be used by the tape counter (shines through a rotating vane onto a sensor?) and the other for general well illumination.
as far as I can tell they are, everything is lit up in the front. I'm going pull the cover off today and take a better peak to see what I can find.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Thanks for looking into this for me George I appreciate it.

I saw a video of this deck before I purchased it, and it's clear that the counter is running differently than it's running now. It counts out in seconds like a normal counter, mine is out of sync and when I get to the end of a 45 minute tape, the counter is at roughly half that.

The previous owner is going to probe the tech that restored it a little more for me.

I'm going to take the top cover off today and see if I can even get at that bulb, just to check it out in case that's it.

Thanks again!

All the decks I have messed with, the counters are belt driven and count revolutions NOT seconds.

All the decks I have messed with, the counters are belt driven and count revolutions NOT seconds.
Hi, I don't know every time I get done playing a recording on one of my decks it always coincides with what minute tape is at.

What would revolutions do for us as a tape counter? I never heard of that but maybe I'm missing something and you'll explain.

My Teac Z6000 or is it different animal and I do not believe the counter has a belt on it, I think it's electronic and it's actually has a lamp/lightbulb figure into those electronics. Please read the postabove.

I do appreciate you posting, and any help is appreciated.

Last edited:

George S.

Sniff, this one shows minutes and seconds on the display, but I believe your correct that it actually counts revolutions. There are buttons to select tape length to program the counter.
Super fancy deck.
And you may be right about there being a belt for the counter as the owners manual says it measures mechanically. But I've seen references to a lamp, a lense, a rotating vane, and a photo transistor.
A good photo of the transport might provide clarity.
Later, working.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I'm not saying that your deck has a belt for the counter, I'm saying most I have worked on are belt driven and don't count seconds. Even if you count revolutions, you can still find your way around a tape and get to where you need to be.

They're like page numbers for tapes, so you can create an index and easily find particular sections. So you can locate a song on a mixtape

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
It counts out in seconds like a normal counter,

This is what I was referring to. Maybe I just haven't had a High End Enough deck but most were belt driven