Derek92994's 700 Ser II White Oak conversion

derek92994

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Those who enter the man cave will get WOPLed
Its sounding sweet, been powered up for just over 24 hours this time. I am baby sitting a cat for 12 days, so am keeping the volume down. She is hiding because she doesn't know this place. Peering out the sliding glass door watching anyone who walks past. I'm going to let her be until she is ready to come out and interact.

derek92994

Tagline
Amp sounding great after more than 2 days power up, still keeping it down for the feline, she seems to like music though.

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Cute kitty!!!! Looks like some Maine Coon in her genes. Looks like she might be ready for a TT ride soon LMAO!!!!

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
It sounds DAMN GOOD Jose. It was a rather unique project. The carcass was donated to D2 from Bobbysdad in Australia. Shipping was going to be prohibitive so I asked D2 if he could solder the tranny back in if I had rebuilt it with all the White Oak goodies and put a 700B faceplate and meters on it. It arrived with no main plate( it was a Ser II), and no tranny. It was completely redone and tested with an outboard power supply and sent back. Derek then installed the tranny and it's now up and running. It also has the worlds first White Oak Chassis, the prototype that was not anodized black. It was the test bed for the beta chassis, which by the way was flawless in every way. There is now a small production run of black anodized 700 chassis being implemented....

Cafe944

Journeyman
It sounds DAMN GOOD Jose. It was a rather unique project. The carcass was donated to D2 from Bobbysdad in Australia. Shipping was going to be prohibitive so I asked D2 if he could solder the tranny back in if I had rebuilt it with all the White Oak goodies and put a 700B faceplate and meters on it. It arrived with no main plate( it was a Ser II), and no tranny. It was completely redone and tested with an outboard power supply and sent back. Derek then installed the tranny and it's now up and running. It also has the worlds first White Oak Chassis, the prototype that was not anodized black. It was the test bed for the beta chassis, which by the way was flawless in every way. There is now a small production run of black anodized 700 chassis being implemented....
Incredible job, Lee. That Amp Looks Sweet

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Thanks Jose, the really incredible part was Derek taking on the tranny install with barely knowing how to solder. There were some anxious moments but shipping an amp to Australia and back without the tranny saved about 350.00 in shipping, no small amount by anybody's standards. Plus, it had never been done before, that was reason enough right there...

derek92994

Tagline
Cute kitty!!!! Looks like some Maine Coon in her genes. Looks like she might be ready for a TT ride soon LMAO!!!!
She is very cool this feline, she is comfortable with me but if anyone else comes here she goes to her hiding place behind the couch. Took me nearly 2 days encouraging her to come out and stay out in the main lounge area. Now she has her favorite seat on the couch. I have spare turntables upstairs =).

derek92994

Tagline
The amp is amazing, and this is day 3 of power on. Might turn her up a little today, see how kitty handles it. We had moderate standard listening volumes last night and she was loving the tunes.

derek92994

Tagline
Amp is sounding very clear and lively today, but I have only just started playing vinyl through it and my cartridge is known to be rather bright so not sure if its the amp or cart or bit of both. Kitty is chillin' out to Joe Cocker.

derek92994

Tagline
Couldn't resist turning it up for this Clapton Cale Tribute album. I'd swear I was listening to JJ Cale himself, Clapton does it so well!!!

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Did it happen while you were listening to it? Happened to me with the Pig one night in the middle of a song...

derek92994

Tagline
Did it happen while you were listening to it? Happened to me with the Pig one night in the middle of a song...
I been playing it so low for the kitty. Only turned it up a little today, its clearer and fuller in the bass. Its been on for nearly 4 days straight.