Cory's Phase Linear 2000 Ser I Unit #2

NavLinear

Veteran and General Yakker
I would be dead bugging a much better op amp in that board location. It is a 14 pin DIP so should be straightforward to do. Put a socket in the location and use the DIP headers to hold the dead bug, looks neat and allows going back to stock later on. View attachment 8301

I've been looking for an adapter for the DIP style IC for some time and you got me looking for one again Joe. Have you ever used one of these? Looks like another possibility.

View attachment 18003.pdf

Edit: It seems that this part would be made custom - guessing some type of jumper configuration - at the factory.

Last edited:

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
I'd love too, but wasn't there something about phase lead or lag?? Or was that only the 4136??
Yeah but that was going to your detriment in this application Lee. The deeper discussion we had on this topic was on the Phase Linear PL36 op amp.

NavLinear

Watch it, looks cute but not meant for high performance analog. Signal integrity will suffer. Better to wire the thing point to point than this.
I was wondering about an issue of that sort as the wires are located in close proximity and they would be lying adjacent to each other - but it is cute. As always Joe - thanks for your inputs.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
I was wondering about an issue of that sort as the wires are located in close proximity and they would be lying adjacent to each other - but it is cute. As always Joe - thanks for your inputs.
Meant primarily for digital stuff where there is a significant noise margin built in by design.

NavLinear

Meant primarily for digital stuff where there is a significant noise margin built in by design.
Yeah Joe - that makes a lot of sense. Any noise induced in this area would be bad.

Too bad Brown Dog doesn't make an adapter board! :cry:

It's kinda looking that I went full circle on this one.

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Tramp, didn't invite me.

Joe, ya tried these yet??
Hey, a 3 oz. chocolate bunny was $1.00 at 1/2 price yesterday...Since my blood glocose was just 119 this morning and I didn't need to take the insulin that time...must have been getting it at Rite Aid when I got the glucose meter strips.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
So, on it's back and point to point to the corresponding pin on the socket??
Lee use one of the adaptors like I showed you in the pic with the dead bug on its back tack glued to the adaptor. Then use short (like 1") fly wires to attach the dead bug to the adaptor pins. You should be able to carefully wire while keeping all analog paths separated from each other.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Lee use one of the adaptors like I showed you in the pic with the dead bug on its back tack glued to the adaptor. Then use short (like 1") fly wires to attach the dead bug to the adaptor pins. You should be able to carefully wire while keeping all analog paths separated from each other.
Gotcha, just wanted some clarification..

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof

Is there a lot of side to side changes or mainly just changes to the sides??

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Is there a lot of side to side changes or mainly just changes to the sides??
Mainly just to the side Lee, there were a lot of no connects along the side of the 4739. Done right there should be little or no side to side crossovers.