Cory's Phase Linear 2000 Ser I Unit #2

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Cherry lookin 2000. Really cherry.Don't know how this kid finds these cherry units, but he seems to have a knack for it. In for a general restoration....... shit, where's my cameras.....

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
The balance pot reads a total resistance of 8.8K. Supposed to be 100K. Besides it won't turn without a LOT OF effort. Ten times what is normally required. This being a balance pot ya just can't throw any old 100K in there. It has to track rather closely. The critical part is at the middle of the travel you would like them to be exactly the same. That rules out 99% of all the old PL pots (and others) in my stash. just so happens I have a 100K that reads a total of 113K , with a middle reading of 47.76 and 47.32K respectively. We'll take that. Ideally you would like to see 50K in the middle, but this will do just fine. No other issues discovered yet. Going horizontal, later.

Tagline
---
I purchased this on ebay about a year ago. One of the reasons for it being in such nice shape is because it came with the special wooden box. So that protected it quite a bit. The only thing that I could see that is wrong with this 2000 is the balance knob is messed up. Not a big problem, I see Lee has already fixed it. Thank you Lee, you da man.

cory.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
takes a complete tear down to get to stuff. A lot of corrosion on the phono jacks. To get to the contact points, De-Oxit D100 sprayed in then an 1/8 inch carbide burr RUN BY HAND for the scraping duties. Saves a ton of time.

Attachments

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
All pots get desoldered and dismounted. Don't want to stain this board, it's too nice. The RC 4136 will get desoldered and removed and a machined socket soldered in. Gonna try the OPA 2134's on a brown dog adapter again....

Attachments

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Here's a problem you face as a restorer of thie stuff. As can be seen more than half the phono jacks are soldered in crooked. Sooooooooo, do you desolder, straighten and resolder or just clean and go????????? Now consider, most customers will regard ANYTHING not up to spec as YOUR failure, not the factory's. After you have had your way with em, Thank goodness that doesn't happen here very often. Beins my name will be on the inside of this, they will get straightened along with a lot of stuff you just can't charge for and still have a good reputation out there.

Attachments

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
If I'm going through the trouble to desolder, gonna replace. Got a fat sack full of new phono jacks (200+) for 12.00 The old ones are corroded enough it will be less trouble to replace.

Attachments

NavLinear

Veteran and General Yakker
Here's a problem you face as a restorer of thie stuff. As can be seen more than half the phono jacks are soldered in crooked. Sooooooooo, do you desolder, straighten and resolder or just clean and go????????? Now consider, most customers will regard ANYTHING not up to spec as YOUR failure, not the factory's. After you have had your way with em, Thank goodness that doesn't happen here very often. Beins my name will be on the inside of this, they will get straightened along with a lot of stuff you just can't charge for and still have a good reputation out there.
You have quite the stash there Lee. Do you eyeball them when replacing the RCAs or do you use some sort of allignment widget or... DeOxit does a good job but new is the hot ticket.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Yes a piece of wood ala the White Oak LED alignment tool. On these the shorting contact has to be removed, turned 180 , tab bent opposite and a slot for the tab made on the other side. Takes about 45 seconds.