Comparing battery-powered phono pre-amps, from RS ($$) to ASR ($$$$) ... and beyond!

Tagline
Lifelong student / listening = bliss
I think we’re all foolish to not embrace a balanced line from the table to the phono preamp. Take advantage of the noise rejection of a balanced line! It just makes sense! It’s lower than a microphone output, and those are balanced.
J!m, while scouring the net earlier for any potential references to vinyl devos hot-rodding their RS 42-2111 phono preamps I happened across this extended troubleshooting session trying to suss exactly where RF interference was entering into the sound system...but only when listening to records.

It's an interesting read, with a nice plot twist. And it also reminds me of when I used to teach Avionics troubleshooting to The Next Generation airmen. Q: Is the thing that you are troubleshooting the perpetrator or the victim? And I would make them explain why they thought this. It was a useful method, because it would force them to look at the troubleshooting scenario from more than just 1 perspective...

Tagline
Interesting info there, funny how this thread appeared today. George (Pennysdad) recommended an $18 phono preamp which runs off a 9 volt battery (Thank you George!) I purchased one which arrived a couple of days ago. I didnt think it would be any good, but after hooking it up, wow, for $18 this thing sounds fine. Clean and balanced. Really exceeded my expectations. My usual phono pre is a $500 Project Tubebox DS which Performs very well. Big difference in price there. But for now, I am enjoying the battery powered one, its always good to try new things and they are handy to have as a spare.
View attachment 60233
Derek92994,

We have a match -- here are the 2 I have to work with:

Both RS phono preamps.JPG

Your comments as to their sound quality are very similar to what I've read around the internet. Sometimes minimalism really pays sonic dividends!

Last edited:
Tagline
At long last, after scaling the phono preamp Everest, it's time to get back down to the base camp, and complete the circle.

In terms of sheer bang for the buck, quite possibly the all-time winner for a battery-powered turntable-based music system would be the following:

Kenner's Close 'n Play original advert (good).jpg

Last edited:
Tagline
Here's an actual Kenner Close 'n Play TV commercial from 1967. NOTE: We're in some rarefied air here, for only 839 true aficionados have watched this ad to date.

And for your viewing pleasure, here's a nice inside shot showing how the 'speaker' is driven directly off of the needle/tonearm:

Close ‘n Play Phonograph from Kenner (1973) action shot.jpg

(Edit: The batteries are installed under the purple cover towards the back of the cheerful plastic plinth.)

Last edited:
Tagline
At first I couldn't find anything representative in all of eBay...but once I did an advanced search for completed/sold listings this popped up.

The best part? Under 'Seller Notes':

"This is not a good record player, and that is exactly what makes it great. Sound is tinny & uneven..."

Kenner Close 'n Play eBay auction (sold).jpg

Then again, I think that the seller is being somewhat overly cautious with setting expectations -- check it out, right there on the box it says that this has "Beautiful Tone":

Kenner Close 'n Play -Beautiful Tone-.jpg

NOTE: The earliest reference I could find to the Kenner Close 'n Play in this forum was 17-Apr-2016.

Like they say, You gotta remember your roots!

3D

J!m

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
BOT
This is Perry’s reference player. (WOPL sniffer)

What more need be said?

With two phono preamps you can run true balanced- one for each channel!

Do you have a balanced in on your preamp? You may have just solved every problem- even those not yet identified by science!

J!m

Tagline
BOT
One exercise I’d like to see, is to take the original board layout (schematic) and simulate it in SPICE. And then, see what optimization can be done in SPICE and then finally, rebuild it with what the simulation indicates as “the best” regarding noise, slew and accuracy of RIAA (which I don’t know if SPICE does because I don’t have it or use it).

It’s obviously a good design but may benefit from 40+ years of technology advancement to get the last 0.28% improvement.

Resistors of 0.1% tolerance and 1% film caps are not difficult or expensive now. You can build very close to simulation. Places like oshpark make nice boards for little money.

derek92994

Tagline
Those who enter the man cave will get WOPLed
Might get a couple more of these battery powered phono pres, then I can switch between the 3 turntables using a switch box at line level. I have to manually connect them to the Tubebox DS which is a little inconvenient at times. Also that will give me an option to run the 4th turntable from a battery pre. Will keep the Thorens 160 Super on the Tubebox and run the others on separate pres.

derek92994

Tagline
Those who enter the man cave will get WOPLed
I'm almost tempted to pull the cheap battery phono pre apart to see if any upgrades can be done, but that would require desoldering of the rca jacks and switch etc, not simple to just pull the board out so will leave as is. If anyone pulls one apart, please post a pic so we can see what components are on there.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Just build a 1u box with several of these optimized boards inside. Set loading and gain specific for each cartridge (how Wyn prefers to do it) and add a selector (maybe remote operated relays) and go!

Power with a Milwaukee drill battery…

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Interesting info there, funny how this thread appeared today. George (Pennysdad) recommended an $18 phono preamp which runs off a 9 volt battery (Thank you George!) I purchased one which arrived a couple of days ago. I didnt think it would be any good, but after hooking it up, wow, for $18 this thing sounds fine. Clean and balanced. Really exceeded my expectations. My usual phono pre is a $500 Project Tubebox DS which Performs very well. Big difference in price there. But for now, I am enjoying the battery powered one, its always good to try new things and they are handy to have as a spare.
View attachment 60233 View attachment 60234
That is the Rat Shack one Darcy. I am sure the same unit was marketed by many companies.

Tagline
I'm almost tempted to pull the cheap battery phono pre apart to see if any upgrades can be done, but that would require desoldering of the rca jacks and switch etc, not simple to just pull the board out so will leave as is. If anyone pulls one apart, please post a pic so we can see what components are on there.
I looked everywhere for a good photo of the component side, but all I found was poorly lit, shadowy, no depth of field, or just plain blurry...

So in the interest of science I took one for the team, and this evening I disassembled my newly acquired NOS unit. What you see is exactly what was shipped from the factory, w/no added value by yours truly:

RS 42-2111 component side (macro).JPG
(Nikon D7000, 35mm ED prime, f/22, ISO 100, 1/60 sec, dbm)

This photo plus the schematics should make it pretty easy to figure out what parts you would like to selectively upgrade...

NOTE: The 4 transistors in this circuit (Q1 / Q2 / Q3 / Q4) are visible here, but in person are downright diminutive. Depending upon the size of the screen you are using, this is a macro photo. To get a better feel for the real-world dimensions, the actual distance between the centerlines of the + & -9V battery connections is 1/2". (Or 12.7mm for those that were raised to think metric.)

RS 42-2111 schematics.jpg

The bottom line is that this is looking to be an ideal low-risk/non SMD/small scale project where someone new to the hobby can practice their modding/electronic hot-rodding chops. (!)

Cheers --

3D

Last edited: