Best Monster Amp

Northwinds

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
How could the white oak board increase power? It is still using the same + & - 100 Volt rails
This has never been answered to my satisfaction either other then stronger output transistors used. I get the headroom thing also w/ the bigger reserve power caps being able to deliver more current when needed for dynamic transients and faster response, I just chalk it up to efficient use of the power. The test results don't lie so in fact, they do put out more power but use the same rail voltages. The WO amps speak for themselves loudly, they sound killer but I still don't know the science behind them

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Near as Joe and I can figure, the WO board is responsible for 15-20 more watts, due to a slight gain increase of the design. I haven't really made a direct comparison between the 909's and the 21196's to see if any gain is garnered there.

Northwinds

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Near as Joe and I can figure, the WO board is responsible for 15-20 more watts, due to a slight gain increase of the design. I haven't really made a direct comparison between the 909's and the 21196's to see if any gain is garnered there.
Gain would imply some sort of amplification though, is the control board sort of an amplifier in itself then Lee?

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Yes Ron...it serves as a voltage gain and small current gain amp stage. The output section is the main current gain stage..

Gibsonian

Chief Journeyman
In my experience minor to moderate clipping with subs is hard to detect by ear. I was using wopl 1000 on subs and am now giving them 3x that power so I know for sure I was clipping the wopl. Current sub amp has clip indicators and i make them flash on occasion. Only thing that made me turn it down was sound of VC bottoming out. My guess is if you are approaching 10 dB with your subs you are clipping your PL.