Audio Precision ATS Discussions

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
No... (you need a break man - been breathing in too much flux trails...).

I was referring to your EDU scope. It has an USB slot in the front and not a floppy ! Good move...
Crown has the most effect..

Yeah , I knew what yameant , and it was time to gig ya...

oldphaser

Chief Journeyman
The AP doesn't make a very square square wave, or I cant run my scope ..
It appears that the AP ATS-1-DD analog output spec for the square wave; rise/fall time is "typically 2.5 - 3.0us".

NOTE: The rise time for Phase Linear 400, and 700/B series 1 amps were 1.6-1.7us and the 400, 700 series 2's were 4us.

Ideally, you should have an accuracy ratio of 4-5 times better than what you are measuring.

You might consider obtaining a function generator with a rise time under 400ns.

NOTE: Since the uncertainties for rise time measurements are typically systematic and not random, there are other ways to treat the data which we talked about already on the phone.

Ed

Attachments

Last edited:
Tagline
---
Yeah, I'm not surprised by that. By the time the 'Sys' platforms came into being, with the APWin and all, I'd imagine AP got their s h ! t together.

But what I was driving at is what the ATS based gens actually put out vs. the panel control settings...

Actually the Sys platforms predate the ATS, my unit was built in 1990 and production of them started back in 1985. APWIN was a late addition for the SYS1, they were operated via DOS in the early days using a program called S1.

What I meant to say in my earlier post when I said the output should be the same for all models was actually that it should be the same for all platforms, Sys 1, Sys 2, ATS 1 & 2. If your AP platform has the option/capability to output a square wave then I don't know why AP would output a different level square wave from one AP platform to the next. That would defy logic.. With that being said, some companies defy logic as a normal part of their business model.

BlazeES

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
What I meant to say in my earlier post when I said the output should be the same for all models was actually that it should be the same for all platforms, Sys 1, Sys 2, ATS 1 & 2. If your AP platform has the option/capability to output a square wave then I don't know why AP would output a different level square wave from one AP platform to the next. That would defy logic.. With that being said, some companies defy logic as a normal part of their business model.
I agree. It does defy logic. So I think the mystery here is, what is Gen Output vs. what is selected via 'Panels' vs. what the detection front-end (and circuits) are doing on the inputs and if they are reporting as intended. Lots of worms in that can.

Here's what I've gathered so far:

Pre-Access ATS units don't support canned measurements within the standard suite in Square mode. They simply default back to Sine when leaving the 'Panels' menu.
AP confirmed as much and chalked it up to their firmware development path. But it's weird that they go to such great lengths to spec out Square gens - including rise time - when early units do nothing more than put out a square - in a manual mode. So I'm going to guess they weren't done baking that cake...

My unit does in fact does gen Square but only in a static state - but not in measurement modes. Lee's does (abeit that RMS mish-mash thing going on...) and it's a 2000's build. Mine's 1997. So there's that. (AP was smart enough to invoke the dual signal thing on IMD so at least they thought that one through...)

And OldPhaser confirms the important fact that anyone interested in doing controlled rise time testing wouldn't be using the gen function of an ATS anyhow.
AP eluded to the same thing yesterday. So really the Square gen stuff only makes sense for anyone testing tuners & amps, where cramming a Square wave down a DUT's throat gives you complex harmonics value.

A Square is a Square is a Square from a gen point of view. All boxes should do the same if spec'd the same.
The real question here that boggles my mind is what the &^%$ on the detection/measurement side of things...

Last edited:

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Damn Tony, you're just a cornucopia of info this morning.
I'm still a little foggy

BlazeES

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
Didn't know the Sys platform was the predecessor to the AIO's. Bad assumption on my part. And DOS control - LOL !
That makes sense now, especially when AP says there is no longer support for the platform.

Last edited: