Audio Precision ATS Discussions

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Select level, figure your gen level, turn on both gen.outputs, select.dbrzero on upper right soft key to zero the reference on the analyzer inputs.
Select sweep on the Instrumentmode buttons. The select lower and upper bandwidth limits, select sweep rate, I go 75 steps slow, push sweep again and away it goes..

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Just fuckin around, analyzer outputs to analyzer inputs....from one micro volt to 784 NANO volts...just from switching in the IEC filter. Had not seen nano volts before....wonder what the floor is on that..

Attachments

BlazeES

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
Yes. Remember? I picked up BNC-to-RCA 50 ohm adapters x 4. That's how I'm using those Audioquest interconnects ...

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Set your out voltage to 1volt, 50 ohm balanced, and output a square wave, tell me what ya see on a "level" reading...

BlazeES

Tagline
---
Lee - I checked with AP today and the non-Access versions don't support Squarewave out - which explains why my panels setting rolls back to Sinusoidal upon test selection. John also said that the square wave gen in these legacy models isn't the best idea for checking rise time anyway, which when I think it about it, it actually makes some sense. No bigs in my case as using a scope with a generator built-in or a dedicated function generator makes for more precision when checking slew rate and whatnot ...

I'm on the hunt for a scope ...
1557427456971.png
... Exit stage left >>>>>>>

Last edited:

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Lee - I checked with AP today and the non-Access versions don't support Squarewave out - which explains why my panels setting rolls back to Sinusoidal upon test selection. John also said that the square wave gen in these legacy models isn't the best idea for checking rise time anyway, which when I think it about it, it actually makes some sense. No bigs in my case as using a scope with a generator built-in or a dedicated function generator makes for more precision when checking slew rate and whatnot ...

I'm on the hunt for a scope ...
View attachment 35216
... Exit stage left >>>>>>>

True dat...
Did you ask him why I'm getting 1.4 in on 1.0 out?

BlazeES

Tagline
---
True dat...
Did you ask him why I'm getting 1.4 in on 1.0 out?
No, and I'm not sure he's the right guy to answer that one. Probably one for the actual service department tech bros.

By the way, the reason so much of the ATS-1 world is becoming 'conditional' support or more importantly, "no longer supported" is because of RoHS and no viable sources - nor ROI - on supply chain.

They are basically scrounging from their inventory shelves and their surrogate carcass units because RoHS compliance initiatives had seriously eliminated sourcing of lead-based production post 2004. The ATS-1 conditional support is actually in somewhat better shape than ATS-1 Access (and dual domain) because of the larger installed base of the newer plaform - which drew down part stock over the past 15 years. So in other words and as one key example, if a display goes out on an Access unit, peeps are s h ! t out of luck getting any help from AP.

Nobody asked but if some did ask me, I'd recommend that if you have a quirky unit and are on the fence about having AP do a full-on cal/repair cycle - probably best to flip that nickle now because in a year or two - pretty much everything in the legacy ATS world will be unsupported with respect to parts.

Last edited:

BlazeES

Tagline
---
Thats interesting that you get 1.4V in with a 1V squarewave. If you figure that a 1V rms sine wave = 1.414 Vp it sounds like its interpreting it wrong. Maybe something is set wrong. Are you using the analog or digital domain?
You stirred the brain matter Mondi ..

If you're in square wave mode and set it to 1Vp and get 1.4Vp out, it looks like the math gen is effed up. It looks like another plausible explanation is simply that it's internals are simply putting out 2 times the Vrms of 1Vp (0.707).

mondialfan

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Here is an excerpt from the Sys1 manual. I'm fairly positive it'll be the same for all AP's.

"Selecting SQUARE on the WAVEFORM line will produce squarewaves from the generator output when the BUR-GEN module is installed. Thesquarewave is calibrated in peak equivalent sine-wave terms. Thus, selecting a squarewave with anAMPLITUDE value of 1.000 Vrms on the GENER-ATOR panel will produce a 2.828 V peak-to-peak signal."

BlazeES

Tagline
---
Wouldn't be for ALL AP's, just the Access versions & onward ... and I checked the Access OM and it doesn't have that verbage. Weird.

That said, what the hell were they thinking?

So I think you were right Lee.
The math gen took your Square setting of 1Vp and doubled the Vrms of it or it interpreted 1V as rms - and doubled the v conversion to peak-to-peak.
So again, why the *&% ?

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Here is an excerpt from the Sys1 manual. I'm fairly positive it'll be the same for all AP's.

"Selecting SQUARE on the WAVEFORM line will produce squarewaves from the generator output when the BUR-GEN module is installed. Thesquarewave is calibrated in peak equivalent sine-wave terms. Thus, selecting a squarewave with anAMPLITUDE value of 1.000 Vrms on the GENER-ATOR panel will produce a 2.828 V peak-to-peak signal."

So a square wave generated by the AP is confusing....as to it's value...coolness. I need more uncertainty running this thing!!

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Thats interesting that you get 1.4V in with a 1V squarewave. If you figure that a 1V rms sine wave = 1.414 Vp it sounds like its interpreting it wrong. Maybe something is set wrong. Are you using the analog or digital domain?

Analog Kevin...

BlazeES

Tagline
---
So a square wave generated by the AP is confusing....as to it's value...coolness. I need more uncertainty running this thing!!
Well, the standards by which all the built-in analog tests are formed (inside the AP) are grounded in Sine. So doing Square wave is voodoo science anyhow ..
square pegs - round holes

Get a dedicated function generator to go with your o'scope and quit asking the easy-bake-oven to be the end all to your madness ... :laughing8:

Last edited: