Any one recognize this WOPL 400

kingman

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Sorry! Was looking for closure on this topic. After reading your post it makes me wonder if you have any #’s to substantiate the WOFL claims as to performance gains.

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
Bring me a new phase linear from the factory and we can do a shoot out. I wouldn't run one without being new.... You could have it blow up in your face.

FredR

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
WTF?
You got a great deal. I gave this amp to a young man in NM that had some serious life challenges. Guess he needed the money more. It is first class WOPL construction, excluding hot glue.

Just got done checking out the inside of the new purchase, the difference on the inside compared to the guts on the original is shocking, getting wound up pretty good looking forward to stripping and WO my old amp. One meter loose in shipping, main caps came loose of the hot glue that was used to holed them down. Very glad I read somewhere here about checking for loose meters on shipping, also checked for any loose wire connections. I will do a test run Sunday after getting back from St. Paul. When I get done with mine I will have to do something about getting rid of the hot glue and get caps secured like WO does now

FredR

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
WTF?
One note. This amp was built without SOA protection so as to drive 2 ohm loads. If you short the outputs during use it will be ugly.

I would scrape out the hot glue and put in a mechanical hold down for the capacitors. Sonically you will not be able to tell the difference between this amp and your rebuild. You could resell the stock 400 for close to what you paid for the WOPL.

On the other hand, if your like me you have a closet full of PL amps and do this for fun.

Last edited:

Bradrock

Tagline
---I run with Scissors
How did you do the faceplates Fred? Take to a silkscreener? I've asked around my area & they only know how to do t-shirts around here.

K-5BLAZER

Journeyman
Tagline
square body cause I dint want a plastic 4x4
You got a great deal. I gave this amp to a young man in NM that had some serious life challenges. Guess he needed the money more.
this was the amp you sent me I need cash to fly from el paso to PA and back for a family problem. I had some money saved but not enough so I gave it to some one that I thought was a good friend but was really a piece of shit and he stabbed me in the back. my familly gave me money to get my amp back and pay him. while I was gone he sold it to the guy that sold it to stetter.
I feel so bad about what happened I you and the whole forum down and gave up a once in a lifetime opportunity.

FredR

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
WTF?
Things happen in life my friend. Keep moving forward.

this was the amp you sent me I need cash to fly from el paso to PA and back for a family problem. I had some money saved but not enough so I gave it to some one that I thought was a good friend but was really a piece of shit and he stabbed me in the back. my familly gave me money to get my amp back and pay him. while I was gone he sold it to the guy that sold it to stetter.
I feel so bad about what happened I you and the whole forum down and gave up a once in a lifetime opportunity.

K-5BLAZER

Journeyman
Tagline
square body cause I dint want a plastic 4x4
Save your cash, Fred can build you another. There is no shortage of core amps out there.
that is what I am doing. at the rate I am going I should have a replacement it 4 and half year from now. for now I will keep looking at my empty cerwin vega pd18b cabinets wishing they were being driven by a freshly build 700b or series ii. I know that overkill but am one of those people that just dose not want to listen to something i want to feel it too. my old speakers that I do not have any more knocked a light fixture out of the sealing on 1/4 power on my old amp .

Bradrock

Tagline
---I run with Scissors
I guess I was dropped on my head a few too many times. Went and looked at my 3 400's & yep. I'm a dolt.
The pots just make the graphic look like it was made for them. Neat work Fred.

stetter

Journeyman
I guess I was dropped
One note. This amp was built without SOA protection so as to drive 2 ohm loads. If you short the outputs during use it will be ugly.

I would scrape out the hot glue and put in a mechanical hold down for the capacitors. Sonically you will not be able to tell the difference between this amp and your rebuild. You could resell the stock 400 for close to what you paid for the WOPL.

On the other hand, if your like me you have a closet full of PL amps and do this for fun.
Thanks for the info FredR . I have a pair of Infinity Monitor llA from 1975 I will drive with it and the amp will see some close to 2 ohm loads so the amp will be put to good use. I see 10 amp and 8 amp fuses in it so I assume the hard driving of the amp required those. I am going to rebuild mine for the fun and the amp has been a large part of my adult life so it deserves an giant upgrade, only if our old bodies where so easy to upgrade

Last edited:

stetter

Journeyman
I guess I was dropped on my head a few too many times. Went and looked at my 3 400's & yep. I'm a dolt.
The pots just make the graphic look like it was made for them. Neat work Fred.
It is a nice clean install, the knobs look like a factor install and the insides,a real tidy job. Latter today it will go into service. The hard part is deciding what albums to spin to shake the logs on the house. I have 3 plus feet of snow and a few drifts bigger on the metal roof, time to see if I can shake the snow off.