Any one recognize this WOPL 400

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
I'm gonna go buy one to show I am not partial or prejudiced....

Then we can all be the guy in the locker room with the tiny units....... :D

Of course, I'll have to change my name to "Half a WOPL Sniffer" HAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!! (All in fun guys, Have fun no matter the size of your unit)

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Hey Stetter, the wife is up in the TC area (I'm from Coon Rapids, her from St. Paul) and she's freezing her butt off while it's 70 down here on the wall..... Stay warm, she says 33 below tonight (or some crazy shit)....

stetter

Journeyman
Saturday night is suppose to be the really cold one, my wife and I will be driving back from St Paul after going to a concert by the Steel Drivers at the Fitzgerald Theater. 230 miles of -10 to probably -20 by 3:00 AM or so when we pull into the drive way. Our 40th wedding anniversary. The night we got married was -17 below down by the Twin Cities were we got married.

VSAT88

Tagline
Like my BlueTooth ?
Does anyone even know how those attenuation/volume pots got on the front of that 400 ? For real, I have never seen anything like that.

VSAT88

Tagline
Like my BlueTooth ?
Then what about the "power level" markings and correct / factory (as far as I can see anyway) knobs ? It looks factory to me Perry ...:scratch:

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Then what about the "power level" markings and correct / factory (as far as I can see anyway) knobs ? It looks factory to me Perry ...:scratch:
Thats silk screening..... I just had a bunch of face plates done. A common Brazilian monkey can do it.....

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
The faceplate shown in the pictures is the stock faceplate with 2 holes drilled in it to accept the potentiometers. No special silkscreening here, every 400 I have possesses this same legending.

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
Nice sore there stetter. As to pots and their affect on phase I would be surprised if you could ever detect it when listening.

The last 700 I built I changed the switch on the back for direct coupled or not configuration
So it now goes through the pots or direct to the control board. Will update you on phase shift after I run it though the analyzer later this spring.

I am always taking chances
Glen

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Nice sore there stetter. As to pots and their affect on phase I would be surprised if you could ever detect it when listening.

The last 700 I built I changed the switch on the back for direct coupled or not configuration
So it now goes through the pots or direct to the control board. Will update you on phase shift after I run it though the analyzer later this spring.

I am always taking chances
Glen

My test numbers show no issues with any of that crap..... And I have tested a hundred of them. I test for phase shift too and I get NO unacceptable numbers for ANYTHING..... I tested one that I built with no pots, and then I put pots on it and it was right in there.... Don't believe the hype...

stetter

Journeyman
As far as the keeper other half I made sure I got her addicted to the good sound of of well reproduced music and it is amazing to watch her clean the house with the tunes cranked up. The house hasn't been as clean lately since I put her on music restriction after realizing how bad things for the speakers could get with the old PL400 pushing them. I noticed the bass getting flabby a couple of years ago and had planed on doing a cap change out but once I got serious and started looking for info and found this site , well you all know the rest of the story about what has to happen now.

stetter

Journeyman
Our we talking phase shift because of putting pot (resistance in line with signal) just trying to understand this a little more, that is why I was hoping Oldphaser would also find time to fill the details.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Your questions are best answered by Joe. Ask him if the phase shift and signal degradation is for real. Joe is an engineer extraordinaire......