Any Ford Master Mechanics on here

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Thanks, Robert. I don't believe that's a Ford service # for the piston. The mystery deepens.

Nando.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
just out of curiosity how many miles on the engine? From the difference in piston to deck height I'd say this cylinder would have quite a bit lower compression then the others. slap them heads back on and measure the cranking compression on a few cylinders so we can compare.

In the end if it runs ok and you are happy don't worry about it.

JustMike

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
"Just Passin thru"
Here is some more info you I just found in one of my engine H/P books.
Hope it may help,
jm

[TABLE="width: 645"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD="colspan: 8"]Moving upstairs, two cylinder-head variations for the 3.8L V-6 are available. The early ’94-’95
engines had a single intake port, while the later ’96-2004 engines had a Siamese intake port with
two runners feeding one intake valve. One runner supplies the cylinder with air at low RPM, and
then the secondary port kicks in extra air at higher RPM. The timing of this addition is managed by
the EEC-IV engine management system.

In 1996, the deck surface of the cylinder head was changed, providing more material around the
bore, improving head gasket sealing. For performance use, the best head gasket to use is the
Corteco gasket. It’s an MLS design, incorporating an outer layer of steel, with an inner core of
copper. The flexibility built into the head gasket means no more reliability problems from shifting
head gaskets. The stock head bolts are torqued-to-yield, one-time-use bolts and should be
replaced with ARP bolts which increase clamp load on the gasket, enhancing the sealing qualities.
Using all these techniques eliminates head gasket problems associated with the 3.8L V-6 for once
and for all.

The standard 3.8L cast connecting rods are useable for moderate performance applications, but
they aren’t considered reliable past 5,500 rpm and 300 hp. The ’94-’95 engines use a shorter
connecting rod than the ’96-up engines, the longer rod allowing a raised pin in the pistons, and a
lighter assembly. Aftermarket rods are available for the 3.8L from Scat and others. These need to
be matched with the correct compression distance on the piston (the distance between the
centerline of the piston pin and the top of the piston) and dish volume in order to achieve the
desired compression ratio. Forged pistons are available from JE and others to suit a variety of
applications.all.[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

gadget73

Journeyman
Tagline
---
hmm, from that info it makes me wonder if thats not a 96+ piston with the higher wrist pin location on the older rotating assembly.

gadget73

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Are the 3.8 head gaskets designed with some specific and non-obvious orientation? The 302 gaskets are. They fit either way, but if you put them on backwards it blocks a coolant passage and you have overheating problems.

eminence1963

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
---
Are the 3.8 head gaskets designed with some specific and non-obvious orientation? The 302 gaskets are. They fit either way, but if you put them on backwards it blocks a coolant passage and you have overheating problems.
Notice the coolant passages on the left side versus all the rest..... This one cylinder is going to run considerably hotter than the others as some of the passages are blocked off completely.
Both banks are the same as far as the gaskets are concerned. Another mystery to me as to why these coolant passages are blocked off:dontknow: This is a sideways motor so the markings on the gaskets mean absolutely nothing as to which bank is left or right. I just guestimated that they go on this way. I should have looked at the orientation when I took off the original gaskets.

fitz43

Veteran and General Yakker
Notice the coolant passages on the left side versus all the rest..... This one cylinder is going to run considerably hotter than the others as some of the passages are blocked off completely.
Both banks are the same as far as the gaskets are concerned. Another mystery to me as to why these coolant passages are blocked off:dontknow: This is a sideways motor so the markings on the gaskets mean absolutely nothing as to which bank is left or right. I just guestimated that they go on this way. I should have looked at the orientation when I took off the original gaskets.

Is this motor back together?

eminence1963

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
---
Is this motor back together?
Everything, but the alternator belts and pulleys coolant and the oil still needs to be drained and replaced. Was waiting on some money to finish the job. I had to order some of the hoses and the pulleys. They just got here today. The weather is too nasty do work on it, so it might be awhile before I complete the job. I will update as soon as I am ready to fire it up. I will put it up in a video as far as its first startup. I post some pics later as to how much is done on it so far.
Thanks for the interest as I am wanting to get this thing going as soon as I can also.

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Then you can block the side windows, put port windows in, Cragars and Goodrich T/A's on the corners and get a Frazetta work airbrushed on it to prove to everyone at the Spokane library that you are a Badass Easy Reader! :hello1:

eminence1963

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
---
Spent all day getting the Ford back together. Disable the ignition pack cranked it till the oil light went out plugged it back in fired right up. No leaks no misfires runs strong. All is well. no all I gotta do is drain the water and put regular coolant back in. Did not want to waste the money in case it started leaking, so I save the coolant for last. In 300 miles I will change out the filter and oil again , and call the job complete.:hello1:

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
WOOHOO!!!

Nice job, Robert!

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Spent all day getting the Ford back together. Disable the ignition pack cranked it till the oil light went out plugged it back in fired right up. No leaks no misfires runs strong. All is well. no all I gotta do is drain the water and put regular coolant back in. Did not want to waste the money in case it started leaking, so I save the coolant for last. In 300 miles I will change out the filter and oil again , and call the job complete.:hello1:

Good Man!!

fitz43

Good to hear it worked out!