A Question Sir Joe....

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Practically you cannot get better separation than the original source material unless you use some artificial post-processing methods to separate the signals that come from the original source material.

OK Joe......sure you want to go there tonight.....and artful dodge on the White Oak Pre question...
I am pretty busy keeping up with you Lee :)

BTW, Merry Christmas...

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
You too Joe!! Had a good day with Squidley , Gavin and Kabub's inlaws. Got to sit down and watch the Lego movie, Kung Fu Panda II...wayyyyyy too much adult sarcasm in those movies to be just for kids. The Lego movie cracked me up...

Northwinds

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Thanks Joe for the explanation. 1/3000 sounds like a pretty small amount. I guess there is really no way avoid crosstalk though unless everything inside a preamp or amp is wireless and shielded to the max right? Like having two completely independent mono preamps? No wires, no ICs no whatever would be optimal but then you would need to create a totally different kind of amplifier that uses inert gases or something to create amplification LMAO!!!!

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
You too Joe!! Had a good day with Squidley , Gavin and Kabub's inlaws. Got to sit down and watch the Lego movie, Kung Fu Panda II...wayyyyyy too much adult sarcasm in those movies to be just for kids. The Lego movie cracked me up...
Glad you got to spend some time with the grandkids Lee. My local one just went back home a little over an hour ago after tormenting the cats by chasing them around with a toy train for a couple of hours.

Northwinds

Tagline
I still would love to see a WOPL preamp that matches the WOPL amps in everyway. That would be audio nirvana to me LOL!!!. I would sell this Perreaux in a minute if I knew a Joe preamp was available!!!!!!!!!!

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Yeah, Gavin got himself a Cat trackhoe that is completely lifelike, boom, dipper and bucket along with rotation....the cats hate it....

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Thanks Joe for the explanation. 1/3000 sounds like a pretty small amount. I guess there is really no way avoid crosstalk though unless everything inside a preamp or amp is wireless and shielded to the max right? Like having two completely independent mono preamps? No wires, no ICs no whatever would be optimal but then you would need to create a totally different kind of amplifier that uses inert gases or something to create amplification LMAO!!!!
:)

Preamps are built for convenience, you really want to switch one selector switch, not 2 to change sources, one volume control to change level and keep them closely synched, turning on one preamp instead of 2, etc.

An unfortunate part of that convenience is you get some crosstalk. All a matter of degree. Perhaps you could reach 100dB of separation if they were truly dual mono preamps. Would you be able to perceive that level of difference?

Your 70dB of separation means that if you removed the left channel input jack from your source (CD player etc) with the right channel playing, then turned your balance control all the way to the L channel only position (the signal would go away), and then cranked the master volume control up to the max (producing 27V of internal output), you would have ~9mV of output signal bleeding through from the active channel. You would hear this.

Make sense??

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Yeah, Gavin got himself a Cat trackhoe that is completely lifelike, boom, dipper and bucket along with rotation....the cats hate it....
Some of those truck and equipment toys from Bruder (and the like) have the accuracy nailed. Love that German attention to detail...

Northwinds

Tagline
:)

Preamps are built for convenience, you really want to switch one selector switch, not 2 to change sources, one volume control to change level and keep them closely synched, turning on one preamp instead of 2, etc.

An unfortunate part of that convenience is you get some crosstalk. All a matter of degree. Perhaps you could reach 100dB of separation if they were truly dual mono preamps. Would you be able to perceive that level of difference?

Your 70dB of separation means that if you removed the left channel input jack from your source (CD player etc) with the right channel playing, then turned your balance control all the way to the L channel only position (the signal would go away), and then cranked the master volume control up to the max (producing 27V of internal output), you would have ~9mV of output signal bleeding through from the active channel. You would hear this.

Make sense??
Yes, thank you. That make sense totally!!

Northwinds

Tagline
Did you try it? That is my acid test...
I will tomorrow Joe, wife is watching TV and she hates when I mess with the stereo while she next to it watching TV. It's 3ft behind her head (my rig) when she sits on the side couch

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
I will tomorrow Joe, wife is watching TV and she hates when I mess with the stereo while she next to it watching TV. It's 3ft behind her head (my rig) when she sits on the side couch
Be careful and be sure to turn it back down before switching or doing anything or you will blow something up :)