A non-PL quasi-comp output transistor question

62vauxhall

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
They are warmer but you can’t feel the area that they are warmer, on the die attach side between the base and emitter pins. The transistor cans are steel and don’t conduct heat like aluminum does
Thanks for explaining. It seemed odd.

And thanks again also for the guide through to finding the problem. All that's left now is an effective cleaning method for the insides of the RCA jacks. They're housed in a plastic.

Going to try pipe cleaner bent triple, soaked in contact cleaning liquid.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Thanks for explaining. It seemed odd.

And thanks again also for the guide through to finding the problem. All that's left now is an effective cleaning method for the insides of the RCA jacks. They're housed in a plastic.

Going to try pipe cleaner bent triple, soaked in contact cleaning liquid.
By the way, what amp was this that we were fixing?

mlucitt

An 1/8 carbide burr
Lee is a knuckle-dragging machinist. Don't let anything harder than soft cotton touch your RCA jacks. Scratching them will cause you pain that you can't even comprehend. Misery beyond anything you can imagine. A deep ache that will make you wish you had COVID symptoms for the rest of your life.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
I'm not familiar with that term. Looked it up and a number of different shapes.

Does the carbide burr you refer to look like this?:

View attachment 47301
Yep, excet an 1/8" will be flush, it won't have that bulb. And BE GENTLE. I've used it on numerous PL 2000's that were pretty crusty. Run by hand only..

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Lee is a knuckle-dragging machinist. Don't let anything harder than soft cotton touch your RCA jacks. Scratching them will cause you pain that you can't even comprehend. Misery beyond anything you can imagine. A deep ache that will make you wish you had COVID symptoms for the rest of your life.

Hey now, works well by hand if you are gentle...

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Oldie but a goodie

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Why would you use a metal machine tool??? Use the least destructive means and go up from there. That would be the LAST thing before using a sand blaster. Start with a Q-tip and deoxit and work your way up until you clear the issue. Save the files and dynamite for breaking out of jail.

62vauxhall

Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
Admittedly, Lee's suggestion sounded like potential for damage but I tried it. 0

The only access to clean these jacks is through the hole. QTips wouldn't fit, the wooden stick with the tip cut off was useless as was a strip of fine emery paper rolled lengthwise. A piece of that scratchy green pad cut to size sounded promising but was too flimsy to insert.

I figured that by now, Lee has probably tried cleaning in numerous ways, his share of RCA jacks so it was worth a shot.

What I happened to have on hand was a cheapo set of rotary tool attachments and there was de-burring bit the right size. Not of the "carbide" variety but good enough for this purpose. And it was $28.99 I did not have to spend.

I didn't rotate the bit via finger & thumb, just inserted and pulled it out...two times. Reminds me of a sex manual I heard about...."In, out. Repeat if necessary".

Good chance a lot or all of the jacks were grunged up and making poor contact but most noticeable for me was Phono 1. Intermittent contact and one channel was weak. I will go at all 22 jacks again (insert - remove, insert - remove) for good measure but so far that weak phono input channel come back to full strength. But will drop out if I fiddle with the plug.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Admittedly, Lee's suggestion sounded like potential for damage but I tried it. 0

The only access to clean these jacks is through the hole. QTips wouldn't fit, the wooden stick with the tip cut off was useless as was a strip of fine emery paper rolled lengthwise. A piece of that scratchy green pad cut to size sounded promising but was too flimsy to insert.

I figured that by now, Lee has probably tried cleaning in numerous ways, his share of RCA jacks so it was worth a shot.

What I happened to have on hand was a cheapo set of rotary tool attachments and there was de-burring bit the right size. Not of the "carbide" variety but good enough for this purpose. And it was $28.99 I did not have to spend.

I didn't rotate the bit via finger & thumb, just inserted and pulled it out...two times. Reminds me of a sex manual I heard about...."In, out. Repeat if necessary".

Good chance a lot or all of the jacks were grunged up and making poor contact but most noticeable for me was Phono 1. Intermittent contact and one channel was weak. I will go at all 22 jacks again (insert - remove, insert - remove) for good measure but so far that weak phono input channel come back to full strength. But will drop out if I fiddle with the plug.
You must really love that Rotel