700 RCA Grounding

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Yes Jer, when that output went I had to replace the relay for that channel..
Cheap compared to the 2" drivers in the midhorns..

jbeckva

Admin/Server Dude MAA Guy
Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
LOL so in full transparency.. Frankey recently suffered the same fate with a preamp I worked on (ugh). Thought I had it with replacing the relay but last time I had time to check it out, something else started to fizzle. Hadn't had a chance since then.. but at least I didn't burn holes in my CV's

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
Perry I don't do that.. when did it become the standard? I'm thinking when the mono rev G came out?

I run all to the cap buss bar, except the one single ground to that left hand tie point. Must have been a revision since me last build, which has been a good while..

We need Sir Joe here to clear some cornfusing up..
Done it for the last several years. it is the same point as the copper bus bar. All my grounds go to it adding one from there to the bus bar, and Joe said he got better numbers adding the 2 from the right back plane to the star ground instead. Still have the 2 from the left back plane going to the bus bar

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I consider the tie point in the center of the left back plane THE star ground with all grounds emanating there. The cap bus bar is grounded to there and really has no other connection to ground. It IS grounded to there through the back plane.

Last edited:

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
LOL so in full transparency.. Frankey recently suffered the same fate with a preamp I worked on (ugh). Thought I had it with replacing the relay but last time I had time to check it out, something else started to fizzle. Hadn't had a chance since then.. but at least I didn't burn holes in my CV's
Was the relay "sticky" and sound like shit through that channel?

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Besides, soldering 8 connections to that copper piece looks like crap and is a PITA. It looks better all attached to the one chassis connection. I get awesome numbers too.

jbeckva

Admin/Server Dude MAA Guy
Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
Besides, soldering 8 connections to that copper piece looks like crap and is a PITA. It looks better all attached to the one chassis connection. I get awesome numbers too.
I just lug em up on either end of the buss bar. If memory serves, the one on the top gets the two down to the left backplane, the bottom gets the two speaker grounds, and that left the single smaller awg for the chassis ground. DCP ground got twisted along with the B+ since I'd move the DCP rectifiers to the left side and bridge one of them with a jumper on the DCP. Good numbers as well IIRC (eh Lee? didn't you test one of them from me?)

Yeah that was before the mono config where you'd wire up two more to the right instead of bridging them together. One of these days I might get another 700 build, but I'm certainly not counting on it due to the short supply nowadays.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I just lug em up on either end of the buss bar. If memory serves, the one on the top gets the two down to the left backplane, the bottom gets the two speaker grounds, and that left the single smaller awg for the chassis ground. DCP ground got twisted along with the B+ since I'd move the DCP rectifiers to the left side and bridge one of them with a jumper on the DCP. Good numbers as well IIRC (eh Lee? didn't you test one of them from me?)

Yeah that was before the mono config where you'd wire up two more to the right instead of bridging them together. One of these days I might get another 700 build, but I'm certainly not counting on it due to the short supply nowadays.

Electrically they are the same point.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
and with the addition of the GND1 and GND2 from the right back plane, to the left back plane center post ground point? Joe said he got "A little more" from it.

FredR

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
WTF?
We all have slightly different ways of doing a build. In the end though, ground just hits the chassis once.

Wayne

New Around These Parts
In above paragraph number five it should of read; l feel safer having all my equipment grounded to earth than floating where shocks can occur.
Update:: Like I said earlier that I'm using three prong plug on my PL and have no residual hum on the output of my PL amp.
My preamp,turntable,and CD all have the standard two type with one probs being larger for polarity.
Also installed dcp circuit from Don.
All done with this project now.
It has great sounds driver a pair of 80's towers I rebuilt.
Thanks for all the help you guys.