700 RCA Grounding

mattoe

Journeyman
Tagline
Don't let any smoke out !
I was curious to know if the group typically omits the gain pots from the rca's to the white oaks boards ... possibly I have too much gain causing the hiss / hum ?

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
The left and right "volume" controls ? Not so much volume but Gain... Isn't that correct ?
They actually attenuate the signal coming in and as you turn the knob, they let more of the signal pass but I doubt they are capable of providing "too much gain".

mattoe

Journeyman
Tagline
Sorry , That's my point....They are bypassed .... The RCA's go directly to the boards not through the pots....
So there isn't any attenuation for the input signal ... essentially full gain at low volumes... The thought was that it would be
much quieter with less amp gain but more output from a preamp or dsp source....

Last edited:

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Sorry , That's my point....They are bypassed ....The RCA's go directly to the boards not through the pots....
So there isn't any attenuation for the input signal ... essentially full blast ....
so did it hiss and hum with them in? and it still hiss's and hums with them out?

mattoe

Journeyman
Tagline
In the initial WOPL build I omitted them so unfortunately I can't say To your post , If the hiss is there with them in and no difference out
That would just about guarantee they were not the issue... At this point I don't have that comparison ....

A Question : in an earlier post you put up a picture of your RCA wiring , no 220K resistors from signal to the "insulated" ground ?

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
In the initial WOPL build I omitted them so unfortunately I can't say To your post , If the hiss is there with them in and no difference out
That would just about guarantee they were not the issue... At this point I don't have that comparison ....

A Question : in an earlier post you put up a picture of your RCA wiring , no 220K resistors from signal to the "insulated" ground ?
Insulated Ground??? I think Lee pointed out that you don't need the Zoebel network if using the White Oak Back Plane and the Wattsabundant DCP. Are you following the Directions? Maybe you should have one of the guys look at your amp. We have had many who were not able to successfully upgrade their amps. Also, you need to post some quality pictures of where you are at. Use PIXresizer so you don't overload everybody trying to look at your pics 5 meg pics take to long to load.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
The 220K resistors are there to absorb any stray voltage when hooking up the RCA cables....such as static electricity. Once the RCA's are plugged in they are bypassed...

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
I was curious to know if the group typically omits the gain pots from the rca's to the white oaks boards ... possibly I have too much gain causing the hiss / hum ?

I've built em both ways, should be no difference in residual noise...