700/1 “Tim” WOPL driver board

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Also Andrew, if Perry reads this i would ask him if he could post or reference the pic where he did a closeup of his pot wiring. The way he treated the shielding was the slickest bit of wiring I've ever seen....

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
If your speakers can reproduce the frequencies, there’s LOTS to hear and FEEL below 40hz, but a single cap in series will only roll off at 6dB/oct so you’re down 6dB @ 20hz. If your speakers can’t make it, there’s no sense in amplifying it, or inducing uncontrolled cone movements.
Pennysdad and I had a night long argument about this one night. I swore the K's would go below 20hz. He said it was impossible, and he being a soundman most of his life he knew what he was talking about. After it was all said and done my K's probably go below 20, but the rolloff is so great ya probably don't hear it, but i swear I can feel it. I have a low cutoff switch on the Spec 1` and by toggling that cutoff I could hear and feel the difference...ESPECIALLY since a WOPL is only rolled off by .13 db at 10hz.....

AngrySailor

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---not quite right
It’s all feel down there, but only if your speakers can make it. Many big home theatre systems guys are tuning for 15hz. You don’t hear it, you feel it.

George S.

Nah, couldn't link the YouTube video. I'll try the following.
Room Eq Wizard "REW" is a free download and has a built in frequency generator, various types of noise, sweeps, etc. Great for testing your system. Add a USB microphone, and you can record your response and manipulate it with a active crossover.
If you have subs, or think you might want or need subs, feed your system the audio from this YouTube video I can't link to for some reason. Break in tone for new subwoofers! Efficient, continuous 20 - 65 Hz loop. It's awesome with big subs and power behind them.
Everything in my house rattles, the windows shimmer from the vibrations, stand in the doorway of the systems room and the sound pressure buffets me like a strong breeze from all the reflections escaping the room.
That's with a WOPL 400 feeding 2 Dayton Audio Ultimax 15" subs in the standard sealed boxes, with a Minidsp active crossover giving the subs a10-60 Hz frequency spectrum "slice".
Problem is, those frequencies are very fatigueing, 30-80 Hz with a sharp filter at the bottom and a mild filter at the top is much easier on my ears.
I never hear those low frequencies from a LP record, but the digital files are often full of those frequencies, especially home theater tracks. They want you to FEEL that gun shot or explosion, not only hear it. Subs are great when used in moderation. Try running some frequencies through your system to see if you want or need reinforcement.
So Andrew is going to have a awesome system once he gets those amps rebuilt. I'm looking forward to see how he's going to feed those big subs and speakers.

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Nah, couldn't link the YouTube video. I'll try the following.
Room Eq Wizard "REW" is a free download and has a built in frequency generator, various types of noise, sweeps, etc. Great for testing your system. Add a USB microphone, and you can record your response and manipulate it with a active crossover.
If you have subs, or think you might want or need subs, feed your system the audio from this YouTube video I can't link to for some reason. Break in tone for new subwoofers! Efficient, continuous 20 - 65 Hz loop. It's awesome with big subs and power behind them.
Everything in my house rattles, the windows shimmer from the vibrations, stand in the doorway of the systems room and the sound pressure buffets me like a strong breeze from all the reflections escaping the room.
That's with a WOPL 400 feeding 2 Dayton Audio Ultimax 15" subs in the standard sealed boxes, with a Minidsp active crossover giving the subs a10-60 Hz frequency spectrum "slice".
Problem is, those frequencies are very fatigueing, 30-80 Hz with a sharp filter at the bottom and a mild filter at the top is much easier on my ears.
I never hear those low frequencies from a LP record, but the digital files are often full of those frequencies, especially home theater tracks. They want you to FEEL that gun shot or explosion, not only hear it. Subs are great when used in moderation. Try running some frequencies through your system to see if you want or need reinforcement.
So Andrew is going to have a awesome system once he gets those amps rebuilt. I'm looking forward to see how he's going to feed those big subs and speakers.
Them Ultimax can really reach down low in the right box!!! I had an 18” in a 10^3 foot bandpass box. Would have been great for home theatre but was useless for music. It was tuned to 18hz lol. Was a failed experiment I guess... great speaker, wrong box/tuning for the application is all.

Plan is to use Tim on the 2x15” three way cabs and the big carver PT-2400 for the 18’s with an active crossover. The 4 15’s as subs in the shop just weren’t quite enough to fill that bigger space, they lack response quick below 40hz. The low-max 18’s reach much lower and when all those speakers were in the shop, turning off the 4x15” and running the low max only was hardly noticeable. However, bringing the 4x15” in the house brought them alive. I modified crossovers (which they never had as subs) to work with the 4 ohm woofer section and installed mods and tweeters. They really don’t NEED subs in the house, but if set up correctly the subs will take pressure off Tim and the 15’s and will be easily adjustable to find a nice balance. Plus if any of my friends want to play jogger beats I can probably break my house. Already had a copper water pipe crack out of the blue...

Been busy last few days taste testing beer and rum, also finished the valve job on that old tractor. Gotta service it’s clutch while I’m this far into it. Waiting for felt seal for the crankshaft anyways.

Back to Tim, I was looking at things and I could mount the caps between the one set of RCA jacks and the switch, then run one pair of shielded cable to the volume pots and down to the board. That would
Eliminate 12” of signal cable per channel over the (factory???) wiring...

Attachments

George S.

Them Ultimax can really reach down low in the right box!!! I had an 18” in a 10^3 foot bandpass box. Would have been great for home theatre but was useless for music. It was tuned to 18hz lol. Was a failed experiment I guess... great speaker, wrong box/tuning for the application is all.

Plan is to use Tim on the 2x15” three way cabs and the big carver PT-2400 for the 18’s with an active crossover. The 4 15’s as subs in the shop just weren’t quite enough to fill that bigger space, they lack response quick below 40hz. The low-max 18’s reach much lower and when all those speakers were in the shop, turning off the 4x15” and running the low max only was hardly noticeable. However, bringing the 4x15” in the house brought them alive. I modified crossovers (which they never had as subs) to work with the 4 ohm woofer section and installed mods and tweeters. They really don’t NEED subs in the house, but if set up correctly the subs will take pressure off Tim and the 15’s and will be easily adjustable to find a nice balance. Plus if any of my friends want to play jogger beats I can probably break my house. Already had a copper water pipe crack out of the blue...

Been busy last few days taste testing beer and rum, also finished the valve job on that old tractor. Gotta service it’s clutch while I’m this far into it. Waiting for felt seal for the crankshaft anyways.

Back to Tim, I was looking at things and I could mount the caps between the one set of RCA jacks and the switch, then run one pair of shielded cable to the volume pots and down to the board. That would
Eliminate 12” of signal cable per channel over the (factory???) wiring...
Awesome, just totally freakin awesome. Your going to have the finest system on the Island! Betcha your going to be able to peel potatoes with it.
Yeah. My system is kind of a music and home theater hybrid. I use it for both, so the Ultimaxes went into smaller sealed boxes. Later.

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
I like the fact you always have help sitting around...you must be the "fun" friend!!
Help on the right is “Dad”, the other fella is now his neighbor Ronnie. I do some small jobs for him now and then, needs a few holes drilled in some 3/4” plate and a couple welds for motor mounts in his lobster fishing boat. C series CAT in it Lol. They’ve embraced more HP in the last few years, guys running well over 35 knots loaded with 150 traps in a 53’ boat.