400 Series II thick heat sinks (8 fin)

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
After a week of steady jamming on this 400 II, I have to say I'm pretty impressed with the sound and everything. After knob-dickin and getting the rack set up and tying up cables so it don't look like some goofball set it up, I'm not sure if there is room for a deck................ GET OUT THE CHAINSAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I gotta apologize to Lee for laughing at the 400's over these last 5 or 6 years.......................

BUT, on the other hand, 2 400's were gifted to me and it does cost as much as a 700B/II to WOPL but if yer gonna wopl a 400, do it with a free one otherwise, the extra power of the 700 is where it's at. I guess I can wopl this 700B and sell it since the 400 II will be keeping the party going.

FredR

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
WTF?
I gotta apologize to Lee for laughing at the 400's over these last 5 or 6 years.......................

BUT, on the other hand, 2 400's were gifted to me and it does cost as much as a 700B/II to WOPL but if yer gonna wopl a 400, do it with a free one otherwise, the extra power of the 700 is where it's at. I guess I can wopl this 700B and sell it since the 400 II will be keeping the party going.
Both have their place. :)

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof

Yep, like Fred said, they both have their place...and like you said, parts are the same price..

Vynuladikt

Journeyman
Tagline
Love great audio, beermaking and pyrotechnics

Yep, a 400 WOPL is no slouch.
"The Wolf" is a great name for it.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Perry, I have the older PL400 with analog meters, any way to make the 700 face plate work with the analog meters of the 400 for the benefit of the on/off switch and volume pots?

Lee or Glen would be the one to ask. I haven't had a 400 in front of me except for the Series II.

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
Perry, I have the older PL400 with analog meters, any way to make the 700 face plate work with the analog meters of the 400 for the benefit of the on/off switch and volume pots?
No easy way. You need 700b meters as they are inverted design. Find some small Alps volume pots and switches and drill the existing plate may be your best bet

Geegz

Journeyman
Tagline
---there is no replacement for displacement
Stetter,
Dig around for some posts by FredR, he has added some controls to the 400’s with VU meters I just can’t remember if they were volume pots or and on/off control. Like Glen said they have to be small pots or switches as there isn’t much room in there.

Last edited:

stetter

Journeyman
Stetter,
Dig around for some posts by FredR, he has added some controls to the 400’s with VU meters I just can’t remember if they were volume pots or and on/off control. Like Glenn said they have to be small pots or switches as there isn’t much room in there.
Interesting you should mention FredR, I have one of his WOPL400s with the pots and holes drilled as my main system power while I rebuild my original PL400. no on/off switch though

Last edited: