400 Series II thick heat sinks (8 fin)

grapplesaw

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
Perry you will be fine. The washer will Aline the heat sinks enough and keep the bolts aligned ok. I add extra bolt on the 400 to keep everything aligned. I use 6 mm bolts through the holes then add 4 bolts as pictured. The pins stick out are ok as well as this is similar in the d500. This will work for the white oak boards as well
83829C8D-80C0-4B84-82F9-4A7403A775EF.jpeg 869A5E27-0296-4852-9515-F35DC6C0632F.jpeg

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Perry you will be fine. The washer will Aline the heat sinks enough and keep the bolts aligned ok. I add extra bolt on the 400 to keep everything aligned. I use 6 mm bolts through the holes then add 4 bolts as pictured. The pins stick out are ok as well as this is similar in the d500. This will work for the white oak boards as well
View attachment 60528 View attachment 60529

Yeah, I'm putting it back together.... It's a 400 right? screw it

George S.

Your good if the holes all line up for the stepped washers, and the backplanes and heat sinks are snugged up with the assembly aid hardware.
Once you start dropping the outputs in, and push the leads into the gold solder cups, you'll feel and see how much contact each lead has. Should be good.
All three of my WOPLs have different heatsink and chassis thickness, so all show different lead and thread engagement with the backplane nuts and sockets.

e30m3mon

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
---
I just measured my 400-II's heat sink thickness, 0.176", so this is consistent with what you are seeing Perry.

The securing screws are barely flush with the threaded inserts and the transistors just eek out the insulating material from the sockets, but there is apparently plenty of contact on the face of that socket as this amp rocks!

I unfortunately did not take many pics of the final backplane assembly with transistors installed, but see the cropped close-up of one exposed transistor.
Al IMG_2880 Large.jpeg

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
A Sheep in Wolf clothing.

So I been dickin around in my spare time (not much of that these days) and since I had finished Ronnie's 700B WOPL, It was time to finish mine because I didn't have an amp for my system. I built my back planes and control board at the same time as I built Ronnies so I started the build. Well, it turned out great and I have it rocking out right now. Enough babble, here is a couple pics. Look close and tell me if you notice anything unusual.

sheepD.jpg

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Yep, I hate an amp with no power switch or meter attenuation so I added a 700 II NOS face plate that nobody was interested in and installed a power switch and a meter attenuator switch. So I call it the "Sheep in Wofl's Clothing" Sitting in my rack you can't tell it's not a 700 and when it's rockin, it sounds pretty frickin good. Anyway, I hate to let that NOS face plate (I got another one sitting here) go to waste and if you have ever tried to mod a 400 face plate it's not for the meek. So, modding the 400 II inner face plate is much easier and the 700 II face fits like a glove.

NeverSatisfied

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Play the Game, don’t be the Game
I always name my WOPL's when I build them but I couldn't think of an appropriate name for this 400II/700II so I skipped it.
400ll SIWC
Run around Sue
Got nothing really but I agree 100%......what the hell were they thinking, not putting in a power switch ?
Did they really expect you to plug it into the back of the preamp ?