700 Series II Build

Hexis22

Chief Journeyman
Finally getting around to building myself a 700 after finding a Series II with functioning donor components, not the best cosmetically but will do given the price.

After finishing a 700B for a customer, I'm looking forward to having a 700 to use when I want a concert in my living room. I also liked the front panel On/Off and meter sensitivity switch features.

I will most likely update my 400 S2 with a meter sensitivity switch as well. I call it the Wife sensitivity switch, the meters don't usually move much when she's home...

I plan a full White Oak upgrade including new chassis and faceplate.

Here is what I have to work with, it's all stock except a large variation of replacement outputs with SIL pads AND thermal grease:

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Finally getting around to building myself a 700 after finding a Series II with functioning donor components, not the best cosmetically but will do given the price.

After finishing a 700B for a customer, I'm looking forward to having a 700 to use when I want a concert in my living room. I also liked the front panel On/Off and meter sensitivity switch features.

I will most likely update my 400 S2 with a meter sensitivity switch as well. I call it the Wife sensitivity switch, the meters don't usually move much when she's home...

Here is what I have to work with, it's all stock except a large variation of replacement outputs with SIL pads AND thermal grease:

Cannot wait to see how you restore this one Eric.

Vintage 700b

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Fabricator

Aaaaaah the Thermal Grease !!!!! My absolutely least favorite part of the build !!!
Looks like a great project Eric.
You have set a great standard, your work is impeccable.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
I use what they call "condensate" in the oilfield. The liquid that falls out of natural gas when it hits the surface. Lots of high end 'nanes...octane , septane, hexane, pentane. Liquid dynamite really. Got an old Goldenrod oil can and all I have to do is squirt the condensate on the chassis and the white goo instantly runs off....takes about two minutes to clean the backwall and heatsinks...
The shit is so hot, you can squirt a little puddle in your palms and watch it evaporate..;.;takes about 30 seconds. Damn its nice stuff. I have one well that makes 5 gals a day...can't use it all. Great parts cleaner...

J!m

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
BOT
Have you guys tried Brakleen to remove the paste? It works for never seize which is from the same diabolical laboratory…

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
I had to clean Linda and Tim of thermal grease. I tried a few different formulations of brake cleaner which seem to have different effects in the shop on certain materials and none would touch that evil stuff.

mlucitt

I had to clean Linda and Tim of thermal grease. I tried a few different formulations of brake cleaner which seem to have different effects in the shop on certain materials and none would touch that evil stuff.
I use 99.9% Isopropyl Alcohol (ebay) with rags and Q-tips and it works almost as well as Lee's LNG mixture.