Preamp Choices

J!m

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
BOT
My stuff has Mexico sourced output caps, and I figure that is a place where a cap would be both critical and audible. (Appear to be STK brand caps, if anyone knows who that is...)

I thought they might be Wondercaps based on their size and wrapper color (and age of the unit), but clearly, they are not... A nice Mundorf of similar rating and tighter tolerance (a matched pair) could make things nicer, but I'm sure there is absolutely nothing wrong with those caps.

Hexis22

Chief Journeyman
My stuff has Mexico sourced output caps, and I figure that is a place where a cap would be both critical and audible. (Appear to be STK brand caps, if anyone knows who that is...)

I thought they might be Wondercaps based on their size and wrapper color (and age of the unit), but clearly, they are not... A nice Mundorf of similar rating and tighter tolerance (a matched pair) could make things nicer, but I'm sure there is absolutely nothing wrong with those caps.
I believe its a Polypropylene film cap from STK, MP85 series.

It appears to be a custom cap for Aragon, 10.0MFD is not listed in their standard values.

http://www.stkelectronics.com/site/polypropylene-mp85.php

Welcome to STK ELECTRONICS Film Capacitors

STK Electronics began manufacturing film capacitors in Cazenovia, NY in 1975. Our first product offering was a range of close tolerance capacitors featuring film-foil polypropylene, a dielectric best suited for these applications. Over the years, we have continually developed and designed many additional products, providing the extensive choice of capacitors featured today.

Hexis22

Chief Journeyman
Decided to take a closer look inside the IPS to check condition and look for upgrade opportunities.

As someone is fond of saying “scrap that old shit” and upgrade it.

Well, it looks like an Antek toroid, new caps, zeners, and regulators are in my future.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
You’ll be pleased to know that’s the upgraded power supply. The ones I have are filled with even more suck!

The Ingot is the top one and not a lot better.

The upside is the upgrade is totally worth it. More capacity of the transformer and more capacitance.

Hexis22

Chief Journeyman
You’ll be pleased to know that’s the upgraded power supply. The ones I have are filled with even more suck!

The Ingot is the top one and not a lot better.

The upside is the upgrade is totally worth it. More capacity of the transformer and more capacitance.
It’s my understanding the only difference between the standard triangle shaped IPS and INGOT involves increased capacitance, 6600uF Vs 10000uF (same XFMR and regulators).

I’m looking to eliminate XFMR noise with the Antek, increase capacitance, and update the aging zeners and regulators.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
You may be correct but I thought the transformer was also slightly larger.

I think the Ingot only came with the 24k- has a 4 or 5-pin power lead, rather than the XLR jack.

Hexis22

Chief Journeyman
Here is what I've been able to determine regarding the various Aragon power supplies based on posting by Mondialfan:

• The IDLK19 - Shipped with all early Mondial electronics. It was a small black rectangular plastic package with the Aragon logo on the outside. It featured a chassis mount 24 VA transformer, a voltage rectification circuit consisting of 4 discrete 1 amp diodes for the rectification circuit and a total of 4,380 µF of internal capacitance. The power connector to the component is a 3 pin XLR.

• The IPS - This unit debuted somewhere in the late 80's to early 90's and was housed in the familiar triangular steel housing. It featured a PCB mounted 30 VA transformer, a single 1.5 amp bridge rectifier and a +/- 24 vdc regulator with a total of 9,420 µF of internal capacitance. The power connector to the component is a 3 pin XLR.

• The Ingot - This unit was built specifically for the Aurum preamplifier. It is identical in every way to the previously mentioned IPS except that it has been beefed up with more internal capacitance. In the Ingot a pair of 10,000 uF capacitors are installed after the bridge rectifier, in comparison the standard IPS had a pair of 3,300 uF capacitors in this same location. Due to this difference the total storage capacitance in the Ingot is 22,820 µF. The power connector to the component was also changed to a 4 pin XLR. The reason for the change to the 4 pin XLR was to prevent users from accidentally plugging the power connector into one of the Ingot's balanced preamp outputs. Aside from the difference in capacitance and XLR pin out there is no other difference from this supply and the IPS.

Hexis22

Chief Journeyman
Ah, I got for the Aurum. So the 24k would use the IPS.

There was a guy in Texas making upgraded power supplies beyond the Ingot. I had some info on them at one time but no idea where at this point.
Yes, that’s Mondailfan.

He’s somewhat active on AK and I sent him a PM to inquire about parts for his INGOT MKII upgrade.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Last I knew not interested in building them.

I reached out to white oak and he suggested a lab power supply. I’ve done exactly nothing, mainly because the 47k has been kicked to the curb. Not sure how much good it would be for the D2A.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Last I knew not interested in building them.

I reached out to white oak and he suggested a lab power supply. I’ve done exactly nothing, mainly because the 47k has been kicked to the curb. Not sure how much good it would be for the D2A.
I suggested a regulated international power supply instead of a raw, unregulated power supply...Power One makes them.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
I picked up an Acurus RL11 to use in a different system and potentially upgrade in the future.

To start, I'm planning to update all electrolytics and put real RCA connectors on the chassis.

It's very obvious what corners were cut as compared to the Aragon line.

A few corners maybe Eric. But a major upgrade however when compared to Chinese produced Japanese audio gear.