WOPL running 4 Ohm speakers

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Why defeat the improved circuitry? I'd personally run one set of Bose 901 until I could build a second amp. Even if it looked like it might be a year or two. Looks like reliability is the trade off. Any issues are going to be time intensive and expensive to fix.
Get a PL700 which will drive a lot more into a 4 ohm load than a PL400 will

FredR

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
WTF?
Without defeating SOA protection I have two choices, get rid of the 9Kappas or get another amp. As noted by Joe you better know what you are doing, and be fine with blowing up an occasional amp. Have not lost one YET.

WOPL 700 obviously preferred, although I have driven the 9Kappas with a WOPL 400.

1661632705228.jpeg

Last edited:

gene french

Veteran and General Yakker
guayabo de bagaces, guanacaste, costa rica....
Tagline
music...the healer of souls...
Why defeat the improved circuitry? I'd personally run one set of Bose 901 until I could build a second amp. Even if it looked like it might be a year or two. Looks like reliability is the trade off. Any issues are going to be time intensive and expensive to fix.
george, joe, sniff, etc....
i think i want a 400 wopl to drive my main speakers...
my 8 fin which i can wopl later if i like to drive the voigts i am building
and maybe a 400t cube to mono drive a big sub....
any thoughts....

gene french

guayabo de bagaces, guanacaste, costa rica....
Tagline
music...the healer of souls...
Without defeating SOA protection I have two choices, get rid of the 9Kappas or get another amp. As noted by Joe you better know what you are doing, and be fine with blowing up an occasional amp. Have not lost one YET.

WOPL 700 obviously preferred, although I have driven the 9Kappas with a WOPL 400.

View attachment 68331
how nice!!!
looks wonderful....
aesthetically pleasing...
bet it sounds as good as it looks...

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
george, joe, sniff, etc....
i think i want a 400 wopl to drive my main speakers...
my 8 fin which i can wopl later if i like to drive the voigts i am building
and maybe a 400t cube to mono drive a big sub....
any thoughts....
Yeah, as Perry says often, find a PL700B or S2 (avoid the original PL700)

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
The 400T cube I would leave where it is. I had a couple and besides being a pain in the ass to work on (they are a 400 packaged in a cigarette pack), you can't WOPL it. Buy 2 700 II's, WOPL them, and use one for speakers and one for subs if you must but a 700B/II wopl needs NO subs if your speakers are up to the task of playing music. I built my Cornscala's and I did not need subs. More room for WOPL's. I prefer less gadgets in my system. I don't have a SACB/SACD/BallsackC or any of that stuff. A tuner, an amp, a phono pre/TT and a pre.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
The 400T cube I would leave where it is. I had a couple and besides being a pain in the ass to work on (they are a 400 packaged in a cigarette pack), you can't WOPL it. Buy 2 700 II's, WOPL them, and use one for speakers and one for subs if you must but a 700B/II wopl needs NO subs if your speakers are up to the task of playing music. I built my Cornscala's and I did not need subs. More room for WOPL's. I prefer less gadgets in my system. I don't have a SACB/SACD/BallsackC or any of that stuff. A tuner, an amp, a phono pre/TT and a pre.
You should get the BallsackC though Perry. I hear it's the balls...

Tagline
Always Thinking Outside The Box.

View attachment 68331
Nice, The Infinity 9Kappa Speakers , I Remember going into Audio King accouple of times and hearing the Infinity rs2? (I think) and the Speakers sounded Amazing, The Infinity Speakers were like nothing else out their. but I looked in my pockets and their was nothing,,,, $1250 was out of reach at the time. I kept going back but my pockets were still empty and than they went out of business.
Nice catch

George S.

I bought a pair of BIG Infinity 3 ways with the plastic cone woofer, normal midrange, and Emit tweeter from a pawn shop outside Ft Bragg, real cheap. Had them for years in NC. Decided to move out of state. Noticed the foam surrounds were shot. Pre internet days, no stereo shop anywhere near. Knew nothing about refoaming then. Took them to the landfill. I had no idea they could be saved. Big beautiful 3 ways.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
I bought a pair of BIG Infinity 3 ways with the plastic cone woofer, normal midrange, and Emit tweeter from a pawn shop outside Ft Bragg, real cheap. Had them for years in NC. Decided to move out of state. Noticed the foam surrounds were shot. Pre internet days, no stereo shop anywhere near. Knew nothing about refoaming then. Took them to the landfill. I had no idea they could be saved. Big beautiful 3 ways.
I have a pair of bookshelf Infinity speakers with shot foam surrounds, and I mean really shot as in disintegrated.