phase linear 400

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
I listened to Valerie for 8 hours last night. My ears are still ringing, but it was glorious. She really brings every kind of music to life. I'm surprised at how much I prefer the Acurus over the modded C1. I do miss the C1 phono pre though. The Mani 2 is competent, but a bit recessed compared to the C1 performance. I need to get that Rotel up and running as quickly as possible. I spent most of the night digging up SACD's to play with hi-res Tidal streaming in between.

Now I'm looking for a perfect set of loudspeakers to pair with her. Any suggestions?
No surprise on the Acurus comment Adam. It was a winner for Mondial.

gene french

Veteran and General Yakker
guayabo de bagaces, guanacaste, costa rica....
Tagline
music...the healer of souls...
good morning....looks like the airport in san jose shut down 2 days to clear the dhl crash last week...maybe my stuff will be delayed a bit...oh well...welcome to the real world...
spent yesterday with sheryl crow...starting today with sarah conner...that is a class act!!!...
enjoy your day!!!
dont eat too much tomorrow!!!

gene french

Tagline
Are they wild down there in CR?
people climb trees and rob the nests....and sell them....they are illegal to have in captivity....but, you can have them if they have the freedom to leave...
we dont cut wings or stop them....but, we have raised them from babies....they are almost ready to fly....a local bought 3 from his dad....who need the money....and the local was poor also...and asked me to buy them....which we did....we also have two grown ones....they were sold by people that needed help....we paid like 50 bucks each with a side of pig, a few chickens, and eggs....
they are in a cage outdoors but, the doors are open...they are free to go....it protects them from predators.....they rarely leave the safety of the cage....in captivity they can live 75 years....never that long in the wild....
there are many many varieties and make wonderful pets....we put a t shaped limb in a flower pot filled with cement...they have their own little tree on the back corridor....here is a shot of them from the camera...
1650131534694.png

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
If you look at the Owner Manual for PL Pre's (Some not all), Buffalo Bob and his minions recommend changing the gain of the preamp to counter the efficient speakers. It show's you how to address that issue in the manual and that is why I designed the adjustable gain board for the pre's I mod. It works perfect. Sometimes you gotta play.
They are the cats ass Perry. I have a couple of these boards from Perry
Job well done

gene french

Tagline
was wondering why phase linears and other amps do not have a power switch...i think i read somewhere that they were designed to stay on...
any truth to that...i have mine on a wifi controlled outlet that turns on the 200 and 400 (when c8 was not reversed) and sx1080 at 7 am .. and off at 5 pm...i have type 2 Whole house supression and type 3 on all digital devices ... to protect my stuff...power here is not so stable due to high winds, long runs of 1/0 lines through the countryside and animals...not unusual to find fried monkey below 38k volt lines...

George S.

The PL preamps have switched and unswitched power outlets on the back. Basically, plug your 400 into a switched power outlet, and turning the preamp on turns on the system.
Problem is, it's hard on the preamps power switch contacts. And, one may or may not get that dreaded turn on thump from the preamp. Turn on thump is another topic altogether.
I keep everything turned on, and use a heavy power strip switch to turn the system on and off. Dons DCP board delay takes care of thumping the speakers.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
The PL preamps have switched and unswitched power outlets on the back. Basically, plug your 400 into a switched power outlet, and turning the preamp on turns on the system.
Problem is, it's hard on the preamps power switch contacts. And, one may or may not get that dreaded turn on thump from the preamp. Turn on thump is another topic altogether.
I keep everything turned on, and use a heavy power strip switch to turn the system on and off. Dons DCP board delay takes care of thumping the speakers.
With an Acurus preamp and White Oak amp, there is never turn on thump, no matter which order you cycle them in...

gene french

Tagline
With an Acurus preamp and White Oak amp, there is never turn on thump, no matter which order you cycle them in...
would the acurus act 3 be a good fit for me...just to drive my 400 and a future wopl 400 or 700....i have no interest in surround sound or home theatrics....i do play our tv thru the sound system...which is fine for what little tv we watch....
just want a nice clean preamp and these used are well within what i am willing to spend on my limited system...
thanks